Jumpy Greetings from AdoptableDebbieDog in Gaithersburg, MD
Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:53 pm
Hello Dutch Shepherd Lovers!
For 8 months now I've been fostering a dog who I am now convinced is a Dutch Shepherd mix. It was first suggested to me that she's a Dutch Shepherd mix because of her learning style. Since then every picture I see of a Dutch Shepherd reminds me of her one way or the other. Breed and temperament descriptions seem to describe her perfectly (with the exception of her floppy ears). I've only been able to read a few posts so far but I could relate to every single one! I've fostered 9 dogs in the past and this time I wanted to foster/help a more challenging dog. Boy did I get what I wished for!!!!! Luckily there was an organization called the Foster Dog Alliance (Rockville, MD) that gave me clicker training and positive reinforcement training...changed our lives! To all the new DS owners out there or any DS owner dealing with a behavioral problems all I can say is it is all worth it! This is such a fabulous breed like no other!! To experienced Dutch Shepherd owners I'd like to say how 'bout a 2nd one!!!
In addition to wanting to get Adoptable-Debbie-Dog the home she deserves, I am also on this site to learn more from a DS's point of view regarding their contextual learning, management of self, and stress. Quite often when she's in a new situation it's like she forgets all her manners. Luckily a few cues will eventually get her back on track as will directing her away from big distractions.
It's almost like Adoptable-Debbie-Dog is born to jump! When she sees another dog close up she'll spring up several feet off the ground almost always earning comments from bystanders such as "Wow! That is impressive!" This isn't so helpful at adoption events and I use cues such as "turn", "let's go", or "with me" to move her away from the distractions but I'd love to learn how to let her develop some of her natural abilities, especially jumping....any suggestions? (She's now 1 1/12 years old - should she wait on jumping until she is 2 and is more skeletally mature?)
I could write all day about the fun adventures and behavioral accomplishments we've had (10 plus!!) but for now I'll close with 2 things that have been a huge help to both us and Debbie
1) filled frozen Kongs - She does have some separation anxiety but we find if we leave her with a frozen filled kong the licking is soothing to her and keeps her focused on something enjoyable.
2) Doggie zen - Boy could she barge in and out of situations - and so much energy! Through clicker training (click at the exact moment of a desired behavior and then treat a second later) she incrementally learned to: put her paw on a mat...put all four paws on a mat...lay down...shift her weight onto a hip (teaching her to relax even further)....stay laying down while a person slowly approached. Debbie seems to enjoy life so much more now (as do all those people that she previously pounced on with her overzealous greetings!)
Can't wait to read more on this site! And I hope I succeed in getting Adoptable-Debbie-Dog into a great home.
For 8 months now I've been fostering a dog who I am now convinced is a Dutch Shepherd mix. It was first suggested to me that she's a Dutch Shepherd mix because of her learning style. Since then every picture I see of a Dutch Shepherd reminds me of her one way or the other. Breed and temperament descriptions seem to describe her perfectly (with the exception of her floppy ears). I've only been able to read a few posts so far but I could relate to every single one! I've fostered 9 dogs in the past and this time I wanted to foster/help a more challenging dog. Boy did I get what I wished for!!!!! Luckily there was an organization called the Foster Dog Alliance (Rockville, MD) that gave me clicker training and positive reinforcement training...changed our lives! To all the new DS owners out there or any DS owner dealing with a behavioral problems all I can say is it is all worth it! This is such a fabulous breed like no other!! To experienced Dutch Shepherd owners I'd like to say how 'bout a 2nd one!!!
In addition to wanting to get Adoptable-Debbie-Dog the home she deserves, I am also on this site to learn more from a DS's point of view regarding their contextual learning, management of self, and stress. Quite often when she's in a new situation it's like she forgets all her manners. Luckily a few cues will eventually get her back on track as will directing her away from big distractions.
It's almost like Adoptable-Debbie-Dog is born to jump! When she sees another dog close up she'll spring up several feet off the ground almost always earning comments from bystanders such as "Wow! That is impressive!" This isn't so helpful at adoption events and I use cues such as "turn", "let's go", or "with me" to move her away from the distractions but I'd love to learn how to let her develop some of her natural abilities, especially jumping....any suggestions? (She's now 1 1/12 years old - should she wait on jumping until she is 2 and is more skeletally mature?)
I could write all day about the fun adventures and behavioral accomplishments we've had (10 plus!!) but for now I'll close with 2 things that have been a huge help to both us and Debbie
1) filled frozen Kongs - She does have some separation anxiety but we find if we leave her with a frozen filled kong the licking is soothing to her and keeps her focused on something enjoyable.
2) Doggie zen - Boy could she barge in and out of situations - and so much energy! Through clicker training (click at the exact moment of a desired behavior and then treat a second later) she incrementally learned to: put her paw on a mat...put all four paws on a mat...lay down...shift her weight onto a hip (teaching her to relax even further)....stay laying down while a person slowly approached. Debbie seems to enjoy life so much more now (as do all those people that she previously pounced on with her overzealous greetings!)
Can't wait to read more on this site! And I hope I succeed in getting Adoptable-Debbie-Dog into a great home.