Page 1 of 1

Random Question and update

Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:17 pm
by Tappy4me
Hey all,

I've noticed with Rufus (and Maiya before him) that they have this need to lick my rings. I had to watch Maiya as she would ever so gently grab the diamond with her teeth. (By no means is it a large one either!) She did this quite frequently, despite being told no. Rufus has been doing this as well too.

Do any of ya'lls Dutchies have this behavior?

Also, as a side note...Rufus licks more than Maiya ever did. He slimes us left and right every chance he gets! :lol: He's starting to go through a growth spurt. In the last week, he's already grown 2 inches, shed a few teeth, and gained some weight. He had to be treated for tapeworm, as he had a pretty good case of it going on. Was missed on the fecal at his wellness check. Found out a few days later...The ears are still extremely floppy, but occasionally try to stand. Judging by all the massive amounts of loose skin he has, he's going to be a big boy. He's eating about 4 cups of Orijen Large Breed puppy a day.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: Random Question and update

Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:37 am
by Asha
He is adorable!! Ya my pup is a licker, my legs, feet, she licked me in the car once after we almost had a head-on!! Her funny thing is she tries to take my watch off, especially in the morning when she wants me to let her outside. First she starts to lick, then play bite, so I give her my left arm and she goes right for the watch, it's a cheap-o one so I kind of treat it like one of her chew toys!

Re: Random Question and update

Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:59 am
by demonshalo
My girl Eris licks too. Every piece of you she can reach she will lick. This is new for my husband and I because our boxer never licks us. I've been trying to "gently" persuade her that she doesn't want to lick us all the time. Especially now that we've figured out that my boxer has passed on her one bad habit to the puppy, eating poop :eew: I have also noticed that she goes after my wedding ring too. I guess the sparkle of diamonds affects her just like it does human girls.... :D

Re: Random Question and update

Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:54 am
by johninny
all lick all the time. of the 6, Sakima is my first and only licker - everywhere all the time! i find it rather annoying, but....

4-month old Tracer is my first and only ring biter. seemingly trying to get it off me, He really gnaws on mine - now replete with gnaw marks . fortunately, it is a simple platinum band, so aside from the aesthetic changes he has made, he can't really do any damage.

today, Tracer [ without his housemates ] went on a 2 hour, morning beach walk with about 25 off-leash dogs [ all very civilized; by invitation, not dog park randomness ] and their people. he took an unusual liking to an older Czech woman AND her wedding ring - though more specifically the diamond set in it. he tried very hard to remove it. it could have been a real TV sitcom nightmare; fortunately it was well anchored.

RUFUS is so completely and totally adorable!

Re: Random Question and update

Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:15 am
by LyonsFamily
Odin is a huge ring freak. When I first met him at his foster home, he went straight for my diamond and just sucked on it. It's bezel set and there's no getting that sucker out of there, so I just laughed. He still licks it every couple of days. Elli checked it out once, kinda of like a why does this hand feel different than your other hand, but she hasn't really shown much interest since.

Other than rings, Odin licks our hands when he has to poop. He has a weird obsession with licking Elli's eyes too. I've also taught him to lick on command. Normally, I point to my chin, but lately I've been making him kiss Elli good night. Odin thinks it's hilarious and jumps up and down after, but Elli isn't amused.

Re: Random Question and update

Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:51 pm
by Tappy4me
Glad to hear it wasn't just my two dutchies! I took my engagement ring off this morning to see if that's what was attracting him to it...just leaving my band on, and what do you know? He gently grabbed the band too....Silly pup! He's so adorable. I wish we had been able to have Maiya at this age! She would have been a blast. Ruf is super smart, and is learning commands very quickly.

His ears are trying to stand up so badly. The left one was flopped over sideways towards his right ear this morning, and stayed that way for awhile. :)

@Lyons, that is hilarious!

Edited to add: Around 10 I took Rufus out for a potty break and so he could run a bit with Flint. His right ear was trying to stand, and his left was all floppy. The floppy ears stage is so cute! :DSlove:

Re: Random Question and update

Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:50 am
by Dances With Empties
Ours is now 4 months old, gnaws/bites watches, ear rings, rings & barks & growls at the clock radio when it goes off. Licking with my pup is only tenderizing the next thing he's going to bite!!!
Great dog & loyal to a fault, but licking & mouthing is just a tip off that he's going to bite...

Teething at it's worst! Ice cubes help.

Re: Random Question and update

Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:27 pm
by Revhendo
Roo is a licker, not so much for the jewelry, but a licker just the same. She goes total mom dog and wants everybody clean. Very clean ears in this house for sure. She also tends to wounds like a medic. I'm a mechanic, so I tend to have a knuckle scrape on a daily basis.

By far the best is when I'm laying on the couch and she wants her "spot". She'll relentlessly lick at feet, which she finds very amusing, me, not so much, until I make room for her. She also found that trick works very well on Deb, too.

Re: Random Question and update

Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:51 pm
by Tappy4me
Haha, that's too funny!!

Rufus likes to do drive by's. He'll go to walk by you, tongue out, and slime you from toes to knee and any other skin he can get. It's so gross...but hilarious. :)