Page 1 of 1
Question about cold temperatures
Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:48 am
by Flikaa
Winter temperatures in my area can be down to the mid 30s. Is this too cold for my Dutch shepherd? We have an enclosed but unheated shed with lots of hay on the floor.
Re: Question about cold temperatures
Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:17 pm
by Dutchringgirl
How long will they be out? Im not a fan of outside for a while when it gets cold, Unless they are a winter type breed. Thalie would lay in the sun, but Sadie would be miserable. Is there anyway you could make an indoor place? A heat lamp maybe?
Re: Question about cold temperatures
Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:15 pm
by HeatherH
I'm from a cold climit myself it can get that cold here too. I was told that you can leave this breed out til -25. I wouldn't. I don't like after -5 and it depends on the windchill. He hates being inside when we're not home and will complain if we try to shut him in even after -5 he just finds a place in the sun or away from the wind. If we leave him inside just correl him in the kitchen the longest has been seven hours. He's quiet, my husband checks in on him. Although, I've been told at this age (15 or months) he should hold himself up to 12 hours (I wouldn't)
We have 2 dog house up off the ground with straw sheilded from the wind for him. Again the longest is 7 hours.
We didn't have any problems with him last year even as a pup.
Heather