Page 1 of 1
Input Please - Adopting a DS without a fenced yard.
Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:05 pm
by AdoptableDebbieDog
Great News Everybody!
I found a wonderful couple that is interested in adopting me! I met them at a Frisbee Dog Event and we enjoyed watching the competition together. They proved to be great companions and when they were in control of my leash they did an awesome job redirecting me (using my many cues) when I'd get too excited about other dogs approaching (even though I was up high on a hill, during the Frisbee dog social hour some of the dogs would run up to me). Nice that they are interested in working with me on agility and Frisbee.
They have a large farm but right now there is no fenced area. The man would love to have me as his jogging partner and his wife is home all day.
Any suggestions for me?! I really want this to work!

Re: Input Please - Adopting a DS without a fenced yard.
Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:45 pm
by HeatherH
My husband has had that problem in the past. He grw up on a 48 acer working farm. You'll need a fenced dog run with a dog house. Then start training early that the dog sticks to you like glue while running and training exercises and such.
The run is not that hard to do or too expensive. I'd do that before you get the dog so you don't forget.
It does work; they never had dog problems with their neighbors or the dog running off or getting hurt.
Heather
Re: Input Please - Adopting a DS without a fenced yard.
Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:49 pm
by Stacy_R
I don't have a fenced yard (though I wish I did) or a dog run and haven't had any real issues. Invest in some long training leads until a yard can be fenced.
Re: Input Please - Adopting a DS without a fenced yard.
Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:25 am
by Sugars Mom
I don't have a fenced yard and Sugar is fine. Being that Debbie is a mix, I'd look more at her specific personality as to whether she is a wanderer or chaser to best answer your question.
Re: Input Please - Adopting a DS without a fenced yard.
Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:17 am
by icvanstra
Pure bred with no fence? IMHO - no way. UNLESS you are super active with a Dutch Shepherd. Not just 10 minute walks a few times a day. Not a little play time around the house.
Even with a fence a purebred is going to push and push and push the limits!
Mixed? Who nows... It's a mix.
Re: Input Please - Adopting a DS without a fenced yard.
Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:20 am
by Dutchringgirl
When I got Thalie, I didnt have a fenced yard. I made a 10' long leash and took her out alot. I was doing Ring Sport so I was doing alot of training anyway. I kept her on a long line and did endless recall work and obed work. It will take time and training but it will pay off to be able to let him (her) loose.
I have a fenced yard now, but still need to work the two of them. They still need alot of work to keep them occupied.
Re: Input Please - Adopting a DS without a fenced yard.
Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:22 pm
by AdoptableDebbieDog
Thanks everybody for some very helpful suggestions! I'm visiting their home tomorrow and will share all of your input.

Re: Input Please - Adopting a DS without a fenced yard.
Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:23 pm
by LyonsFamily
It would be easier for us to read posts and answer if the human in the house wrote the posts, rather than Debbie.
We don't have a fence at our new house. We've been here about a month and I'm hoping to get one up before Christmas. We have 5 acres and the middle 2 acres that are the yard are surrounded by 1.5 acres of grassy field on each side. Behind us is a bean field, so there's not much to see out there. Odin and Elli are very good at knowing the fields are their barriers. Both have very good recalls. I work recalls seperately multiple times a day and I'm home with them most of the day. Either my husband or I are out with them at all times and we call them away from boundaries early. They mostly just want to stay around us in the yard anyway. The only reason why I want a fence is because I don't want to supervise in the Michigan snow and sometimes I'd like to put them outside when I'm cooking.
Odin's really never had much of a fence. In Chicago, we had a fenced yard, but it was only 20x20, the front gate was only 2' high, and the neighbors always left the back gate open. We didn't play much in the backyard. He went out for short potty breaks, but I had access to a training facility at work and a big open field at my local college. One of the big reasons why I got Odin is because his foster mom was understanding that I was committed to exercising him away from home.
For Debbie, I would assess how committed the owners are to consistent training for the recall and putting in the work to exercise her. Let them know that it may be a long time of taking her out on a long line and she'll always need supervision. I wouldn't rule out someone without a fence, but they have to be well aware of the commitment.
I've done home visits for the malinois rescue and only passed one foster home without a fence. She didn't have any yard at all, lived in a high-rise condo, but she already had 2 malinois, 2 chihuahuas that were well adjusted and was a professional dog trainer and dog walker. Her mals were from great working lines too, very high drive. She clearly had a plan for individual exercise and potty breaks and I had no problem signing off on her.