Page 1 of 1

Sound sensitive

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:51 am
by shana
So I was wondering if it's a common problem for dutches to be sound senstitive. Mine doesn't mind going into new situations have had her down town in Baltimore Maryland walking all over the city and other than things like tractor trailers she didn't seem to have any problems. The only reactions she did give were to move away from them a bit or just watch them drive by keeping an eye in them kinda thing nothing big. I did however have an experience the other day that has me kind of worried. I was walking with my dog Bella she was totally calm and relaxed when my friend decides to jump up and for lack of a better description high five a stop sigh. The movement didn't seem to bother Bella as people make quick random movements around her often with no reaction. The sigh did however make a very loud sound almost like thunder and she reaced very strongly. Bella ducked close to the ground and shook a little in her back legs. This sign happens to be in an area that we walk by often and when on our walk the next day she got very panicky on the leash and tried to back away from the sign. I have since gotten her used to the sign by treating her every time we pass it and she has gotten over the sigh itself but that does nothing to really get her over loud noises. Has anyone had this problem or have tips as to how I can help desensitize her to loud unexpected noises? :|

Re: Sound sensitive

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:46 pm
by Karin
This is just a thought as I'm no expert. Tygo's breeder used a CD of sounds to help desensitize puppies, it has guns, thunder, traffic babies crying, etc. I'm pretty certain these are easy CDs to find. You could get one and just run it often, starting low volume and working up.

I

Re: Sound sensitive

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:49 pm
by Raven
One CD is called Spookless. You can also utilize YouTube for different sounds.

I kind of read your post that "surprises" might be the issue since city noises didn't spook her????

Re: Sound sensitive

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:01 pm
by shana
Yes it seems to get the strongest reaction but even when she expects it with some noises. Like the air breaks on buses or large trucks, thunder, ect.. but what i have noticed is it only occurs outside. If we are in the house during a huge thunderstorm she doesn't react at all and is usually found napping on the bed or at my feet. I have taken to drinking my morning coffee near a busy street where she can lay and watch the cars drive by and that has helped. I am a bit worried because I had plans to start her in personal protection training next year but i'm not so sure she will be fit for it as there is many loud sounds there. I wouldn't want to do something with her that would make her completely uncomfortable.

Re: Sound sensitive

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:09 pm
by shana
I also forgot to add that she is a rescue when I adopted her I told them I was looking for a working dog not just a pet and was very specific about wanting a dog with a lot of drive and potential. She did not come from a dutch rescue but her rescue was in touch with the all shepherd rescue group and I was assured she would be a good fit. I'm starting to second guess her ability to be a sporting dog although i'm open to any suggestions. If not no biggie shes an AMAZING dog and I had planned to get her a brother in another year or two. Will be looking for a good breeder then to be better fit with a working dog. I would like to try with her though. She has a great bite and LOVES to "work" training exercises drill and carrying a backpack while walking just to name a few. I think she would do great working if I could help get her past some of these reactions.

Re: Sound sensitive

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:24 pm
by Karin
What about taking her now to the trainer(s) in your area that do protection sports and start working with a professional. Seems that they would be able to observe and evaluate much better than online?

Tygo goes through lots of little changes and then changes again. Isn't she pretty young too?

Re: Sound sensitive

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:27 pm
by shana
I got in touch with a trainer today :)

Re: Sound sensitive

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:10 am
by shana
Thank you guys for all the advice :) it was really helpful