Page 1 of 1
The propeller wag
Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:16 pm
by simbathedog1
Anyone else have a DS who does the propeller wag? Simba does this often and from what I have read it is a greeting reserved for very special people from a dog who is very content and happy to see them. I don't recall any of our other dogs propeller wagging but Simba is our first DS. I love it!

Re: The propeller wag
Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:23 pm
by Dutchringgirl
Sadie has the propeller body, does that count?
Re: The propeller wag
Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:59 pm
by centrop67
Sadly, Radar doesn't wag at all.
He's all business, we say.
He's got two tail positions, curled-up or straight down.
Re: The propeller wag
Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:02 pm
by steph90
Mine dances the chacha. His entire back end hops around as he wags, and his tail clears a large area around him.

Re: The propeller wag
Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:58 pm
by johninny
none of my current 3 have anything close to a propeller wag. neither did my other 2 rescues of the last year. TraceDog, however, had the propeller wag his entire life and was the most confident and content dog i have ever known - traits people passing in the street would remark on he telegraphed them so. very dangerous quality of tail movement at a cocktail party!
the tail action was more as if a Harrier jet had propellers though. his tail could go up, go down - all the while in propeller action. the propeller could be the whole tail or part. sometimes the propeller controls would malfunction - when he was happiest but calm - and go ''whirlybird'', doing this multi-faceted 3D thing.
he seemed to have superb control of individual segments of his tail and i found i could interpret his thoughts by careful analysis of what various stretches of tail were doing. most telling was the last inch or so which seemed to have a conscious life of its own.
Re: The propeller wag
Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:41 pm
by Asha
My dog Asha totally does the propeller wag! However she is not a DS. Nonetheless it is awesome when she greets me like that. Usually followed by a lot of slobbering kisses.
Re: The propeller wag
Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:18 pm
by HeatherH
I love the propellor wag. Save me from hiting people in the car all I do is get him to turn around and smack. I was wondering if I could turn it into a duster. 2 things at the same time.
heather
Re: The propeller wag
Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:07 pm
by Owned-By-Hendrix
I just noticed my guy does this too! Not a whole lot, but I'm seeing it more as he's getting older.
Re: The propeller wag
Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:12 pm
by johninny
how is Hendrix doing?
maybe as he recovers from his trauma, he will do the propeller wag a whole lot more.
Re: The propeller wag
Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:25 pm
by LyonsFamily
Does this count?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sRsKDG2BNM
Elli (formerly Stella) playing with her mal pal Moto.
She's a full body wagger and throws herself at every person and dog she sees.
Re: The propeller wag
Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:57 pm
by simbathedog1
fun video! I saw a propeller wag at about 7 seconds!!

Re: The propeller wag
Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:51 am
by johninny
and WOW, what a great-looking MAL pal.
ok, Xander falls into the full-body-wag camp and like you said, Stephanie, THROWS himself [ i liked how well you captured that ] at every person and dog. he has learned in the last couple months to be calmer at most first sighting of strangers, but still managed to instantaneously form himself into a projectile yesterday when he saw some unsuspecting bystander using an ATM machine in the vestibule entrance to the bank as i went in to the tellers. it is a good thing that his love-impulse is infectious [ and that the guy survived a potential heart-attack moment ]. i just was not expecting that since his love-gush really has become civilized and polite in open public spaces, so i guess he needs space to consider the application of the impulse control that he has learned.
Re: The propeller wag
Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:14 am
by Owned-By-Hendrix
Thanks for asking John! He's doing a lot better. We've gotten to the point he can look at someone across the street alert but relaxed. Back to basics and talking to him seems to work for the goofball. I hope he does - it's adorable!
Stephanie - that is such a cute video!!!! Two beautiful dogs!
Re: The propeller wag
Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:55 pm
by feraloup
LOVE the propeller-wag.

I have had several dogs that will do this when happy and relaxed. Or running down stairs... Moko usually does a whole-body wag/wriggle, but he's done an occasional propeller, usually if Freyja is lying on the couch and he is shoving a toy into her face or taking one from her while leaning his chest against the couch. Maiyou does this wag on a fairly regular basis.
Re: The propeller wag
Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:21 pm
by simbathedog1

Simba did the most awesome propeller wag yesterday!! I've never seen him do it in this context before but it made me smile

.
After our usual trip in the car to school, we returned home. I sometimes stop the car in the driveway to let him out so he can sniff around, mark his territory, and he happily meets me up at the house. Yesterday as he was running up to the house slightly ahead of me he looked at his home and propeller wagged!!!!!
A little background why this is so special to me...Simba came to us almost a year ago as a rescue dog from the local shelter. He had presumably been dumped out by someone because he stayed around the same gas station near the interstate for two weeks before he was caught by someone. He was terrified to get into a car. Terrible separation anxiety when left alone. Very nervous overall. He has gotten beyond much of his insecurity, but it was just such a nice reminder to see him confidently propeller wag as if saying, "YES! This is always my home and I love it here".

Re: The propeller wag
Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:44 pm
by johninny
that is such a good feeling - to see that you have succeeded in meeting your dog's emotional needs and have made him truly happy.
Re: The propeller wag
Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:40 am
by simbathedog1
Today while I was out, I called home and my daughter had me talk to simba on the phone. She said he propeller wagged when he heard me on the phone!!!!
Re: The propeller wag
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:30 pm
by Revhendo
simbathedog1 wrote:Today while I was out, I called home and my daughter had me talk to simba on the phone. She said he propeller wagged when he heard me on the phone!!!!
Dear Lord, I thought I was the only one that talked to the dog on the phone.
Re: The propeller wag
Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:53 am
by Stacy_R
Revhendo wrote:Dear Lord, I thought I was the only one that talked to the dog on the phone.
You are not alone...I have skyped with all 3 of my dogs...

Re: The propeller wag
Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:43 am
by simbathedog1
They are family... ! Haha