Page 1 of 2
Jerry Lee's road to health!
Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:48 pm
by JerryLeeK9
Hey all, new member who has made a few posts about my new partner in crime, JL. I Rescued him in MD and picked him up 3 days after his heart worm treatment this past Friday. Although he was a bit under the weather and seemed a bit reserved on Friday and Saturday (especially with the new surroundings), he has been perking up and acting more like the DS/GSD he has in him. He is already becoming my not so little shadow and his expanding vocabulary has definitely proven to be very shepherd-like haha. I do love me a good shepherd groan or two.
I wanted to keep an updated log running because although I have done lots of research, I can use all the helpful hints and pointers I can get from a true Dutchie audience.
Here are some late pics of him coming around these past few days. he's got a little skip in his step but I'm being sure to keep him crate rested nearly all the time.... even though its hard.
Here he is surveying his new kingdom and getting to know the place.

- JL06.jpg (105.21 KiB) Viewed 2281 times
Re: Jerry Lee's road to health!
Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:09 pm
by johninny
i LOVE this dog!
i forget if you know how old he is. [ ??? ]
Re: Jerry Lee's road to health!
Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:35 pm
by JerryLeeK9
I was told by the rescue that he was 2. At first, he was so calm and quiet I didn't believe it, but now that he's perking up a bit and getting comfortable, I think 2 is about right.
He's really being s good boy. He went into his crate on his own this morning and got himself a frozen Kong. Not bad for 4 days home on near full time crate rest. I must be doing something right.
Re: Jerry Lee's road to health!
Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:25 pm
by Owned-By-Hendrix
This dog just screams a great personality. I cannot wait to see how he blossoms under your care! He looks like such an awesome boy! I'm glad he's feeling better too.
Re: Jerry Lee's road to health!
Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:50 pm
by feraloup
Very much looking forward to following your saga, too!

Beautiful boy...
Re: Jerry Lee's road to health!
Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:24 pm
by JerryLeeK9
I'm counting down so.... 7 more weeks from today!
Can anyone recommend a good brush for a Dutchie's short hair? Jerry Lee LOVES to be brushed but the one I have is bulky and doesn't actually lift any hair, it just organizes it on him in rows haha.
Re: Jerry Lee's road to health!
Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:57 pm
by Owned-By-Hendrix
I'm sure others could recommend better ones, but I use a basic curry comb on my guy. He seems to like it either because it smells like horses (relic from my riding days) or it feels good. I do small, light circles and he loves it.
Re: Jerry Lee's road to health!
Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:01 am
by Revhendo
Sorry, late to the party. That is one good looking dude there. I have a soft spot for GSDs also, so he is just like spot on. We have a brush for our girls, but I have no idea what it is. It has stiff bristles that the girls love, but I can't be anymore useless than that.
Re: Jerry Lee's road to health!
Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:14 pm
by Stacy_R
Try a Zoom-Groom. That is the best brush I have found and I use it on all 3 of my dogs. It's like a massage every time you brush!! My schnauzer hates being brushed and she actually likes the zoom groom. Petsmart and PetCo should have them.
Re: Jerry Lee's road to health!
Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:16 pm
by Stacy_R
PS...I love his smile!
Re: Jerry Lee's road to health!
Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:17 pm
by JerryLeeK9
Thanks guys I will certainly look into that. Here's my new view these days when he's out of the kennel. He manages to get in between where I am and where I'm going at ALL times!

- JL the shadow.jpg (146.26 KiB) Viewed 2180 times
Looks like JL has just over one week before he goes in for his final heart worm shots. He has been SUCH a good dog since I took him home. He is just so easy to direct and has not been making a fuss at all about being in his kennel so much. As a matter of fact, he obeys a single "kennel" command at this point to walk right into the same cage he was NOT excited about two weeks ago. He's a pretty smart pup and has the drive to learn.
I just ordered a few clickers to get started training with them. After seeing enough videos on clicker training I have really opened my eyes to
why they are so effective. I would like to begin getting him excited about toys to I can get him thoroughly exercising and back into shape after the crate rest. That would be harder to do without toy drive I feel.
Does anyone clicker train their Dutchie(s)? Pros.... Cons ?
Anyone instilled a toy drive to a dog who seemed uninterested in toys?
Re: Jerry Lee's road to health!
Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:34 pm
by Owned-By-Hendrix
Yay JL!!!!! So happy he's feeling better!!!
I know I clicker trained Hendrix for a bit. My downfall was remembering the dang clicker. Someone on here once said they cluck with their tongue and it worked too. Anyways, yes clicker training worked great! My guy is extremely food motivated so it helped a lot with timing. Also I think it clicker training helped as we started to move towards marker words. He had the idea of how it worked down very well from clicker training. So I would suggest it!
I think someone on here did a post about motivating a dog who wasn't fond of toys... Try doing a search for motivation and see what comes up. I may be mistaking toys for food, though. I would wager that it would start with finding a toy he really liked to start with. I sometimes have that problem with my guy but I've found if I sit down and show him how to play with it he catches on quick. I'll leave the specifics to the more knowledgable folks on here.

Re: Jerry Lee's road to health!
Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:05 pm
by JerryLeeK9
I got 3 clickers so I figure, one for the house, one for the car and one to try and keep on me at all times. In between the 3 I'd hope I wouldn't be without them but I say the same things about guitar picks and good grief...
Interesting about the tongue clicking. I can do that pretty loudly so that is possible. I'll have to look up pros cons.
I've seen some videos where people have clicker trained their dogs to like things play with random objects (like a Dixie cup) in order to get a reward but, after a while, I wonder if it lasts after the rewards are gone.
And yes! If anyone has had to instill toy drive to their dogs... do tell! I'm all ears
Re: Jerry Lee's road to health!
Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:34 pm
by JerryLeeK9
Tomorrow is Jerry Lee's final 2 injections for heart worm treatment. Then its 30 days until play time!
He continues to be a really good sport about keeping calm and in the kennel. I'm hoping I'll get the green light to allow him to sleep in my room in a week or two. He seems to relax when he's in his bed.
Re: Jerry Lee's road to health!
Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:04 pm
by racingiron1
This must have been quite an ordeal for him, but it's great that he has you to give the care he needs. Thanks for rescuing despite the known challenges! I look forward to seeing how this bond you've forged blossoms as he finishes recovery and builds strength.
Re: Jerry Lee's road to health!
Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:28 pm
by JerryLeeK9
Welp, I dropped him off at the vet this morning and felt like I was going to cry like a baby. I just feel awful he probably thinks I left him like I'm sure has happened in the past. He will be so happy to see me again tomorrow evening though.
He just loves car rides, rain or shine!
Re: Jerry Lee's road to health!
Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:55 pm
by Owned-By-Hendrix
You're getting so close!!! I can't wait to see JL running around and having adventures with you! Just a quick word of advice which you probably already know but you might want to be aware your emotional state when you pick him up tomorrow. I understand dropping off your fur kid somewhere and not seeing them for a bit - you worry about them, wonder if they're having a good time, miss them, hope they're not scared, etc. Just remember when you see him act like it's part of a routine and therefore not anything special. It's hard when all you want to do is hug and love on them but wait until you're home and settled. If you act like leaving them somewhere is a big thing either when you leave or arrive to pick them up then you'll start to enforce anxiety when you're away. I got yelled at by our trainer for being… well… all caps ecstatic upon seeing Hendrix after I boarded him with her. She had wondered why he was a bit mopey when I left and then she saw what happened when I came back to get him - big smiles, lots of love and pets, fawning, treats... I mean who wouldn't? You missed your fur kid! And they're sooooo excited to see you. She basically told me to act like I would normally if I was letting him out of his kennel in the morning or something; it helps him see your departure as nothing to worry about and he won't be anxious for your return (or the love fest impending), which means he can settle better. He'll be excited when you return no matter what, you just don't want him anxiously waiting for your return. It's something I struggle with a lot to this day and I can only imagine how hard it is to leave JL. But remember, he's getting better and your bond is growing day by day. It's already so strong and you've done such a fantastic job with him he will only get even better.
Re: Jerry Lee's road to health!
Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:33 pm
by JerryLeeK9
Thats great advice! Thanks for taking the time to enlighten me because I didn't really think about it like that. I called the vet earlier to mention that he has been a bit itchy and they said they loved him haha. I felt a lot better knowing that he was making people happy there just like he makes me happy. Just a happy dog with a big heart I guess.
But yes, I'm very excited to get him tomorrow but will ensure its a routine like pick up and make sure he gets settled in nicely at home. i'm sure he'll be very sore from the injections and will be medicated as well. Almost there though!
Any advice is ALWAYS welcome btw...
Re: Jerry Lee's road to health!
Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:38 pm
by JerryLeeK9
There's a certain happy dog who starting sleeping in my room this week...
He really bounced back from the last two injections. Getting so close to being a free pup!
Re: Jerry Lee's road to health!
Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:41 pm
by Raven