Page 1 of 1

New Member Completely Lost

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:47 pm
by karenz
My name is Karen. I am new to this and have never been on a forum before. I'm completely lost and have no idea how to navigate around. I don't even understand what a signature is exactly. I have an 8 month old dutch shepherd, Xander. I tried to attach his picture but it says the files are to big. Can anyone give me some pointers on how this works....signature, where to ask questions, etc... Thanks

Re: New Member Completely Lost

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:55 pm
by karenz
I think I figured out how to add a picture. Hope it worked.

Re: New Member Completely Lost

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:28 pm
by Christie M
Hello Karen,

Welcome to the forum. I know that when you first visit the forum, things can be a little intimidating, but after a day or so, you will have it well down pat.

When you first log on, you see a whole lot of topics. Each topic has a brief description of the types of threads that you will find in that area. For instance, you posted in the "Whatever" section - which is kind of a catch all. I moved it to "New Member Announcements" where most people post their introductions. In that area, you will find a post titled "Welcome New Members" and it has some valuable information including rules. Additionally, if you visit the "Announcements" area, you will find more topics at the top on how to post a signature, photo and avatar (picture to represent you!). Anytime you see a topic or thread with a weird keyhole shaped image to the left, instead of the normal red or blue circle, that is called a "Sticky" and it was put there to stay at the top because it has important information that we want people to easily find. Topics are listed in the order that they are posted - newest on top. If you read all of the messages in the topic, then the red circle turns blue. Play around with moving into and out of the different "Rooms" and topics. You can also explore the links at the top left "View unanswered posts • View unread posts • View new posts • View active topics." Everyone finds their own way to navigate the forum. For me it used to be a personal challenge to make all of my circles blue. Now I have given up :oops:

Oh yeah, and to insert one of the cute graphics to the right, just click on it while you type a message! So sit back, grab a :pint: and enjoy!

BTW - Xander is absolutely stunning. Can you tell us about him? Where did you get him from? What are your plans with him? Competition or active companion?

Re: New Member Completely Lost

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:06 pm
by karenz
I got Xander from Vandalia Kennel in West Virginia. He is my second ds. I do not compete, he is just my playmate. I fell in love with dutch shepherds through working around them with the police department. I just wanted an energetic smart dog to have fun with. I have no intentions on competing in the future but would love to learn more about training just for fun and to help Xander have a fun time. I have had several questions during the last couple months and was looking for advice and people who love the breed as much as I do. I added a couple more photos.

Re: New Member Completely Lost

Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:28 am
by Christie M
If you are on Facebook, look up Minette Boyd. She has a DS from Vidalia that has longer fur as well. She does all kinds of fun stuff with Fury. I am sure she would love to compare stories and would be another good asset for advice, in addition to this forum!

Re: New Member Completely Lost

Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:32 am
by karenz
Thanks. I will look her up. So glad someone finally posted something. I didn't know if I had done something incorrectly in the posting process. Lol. Very new to all this. Thanks

Re: New Member Completely Lost

Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:06 pm
by Dutchringgirl
welcome and I am glad you are finding your way around. She is so beautiful. I used to compete in Ring sport but now have them just for fun. I would have done something with my younger DS but with her bad hips, I just play with her and let her have fun as she wishes [ and that includes some bad stuff ]

They are a hoot and provide many hours of goofyness and joy and :pint: :pint:

Keep clicking around and you will get the hang of it.

Re: New Member Completely Lost

Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:14 pm
by Stacy_R
welcome! Where in NC are you? I think there are a couple of us on here. :)

Re: New Member Completely Lost

Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:42 pm
by karenz
Dutchringgirl: I know what you mean. Xander does bad stuff too. But he has fun doing it. Thanks for the wecome.

StacyR: I am from wayne county, goldsboro. Its a small town.

Re: New Member Completely Lost

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:50 am
by Revhendo
Xander is a very handsome young man. And a very fine coat indeed. Glad you're finding your way around here.

Alas, I don't think I'll ever get all of my rings blue. I have fallen way behind.

Re: New Member Completely Lost

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:45 am
by karenz
Thanks Revhendo. I love his coat even though I guess a longer coat is not ideal or is unusual. I don't care, it's one of my favorite things about him.