Page 1 of 1
New to this!
Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:41 pm
by Devo7
Hello, we just have a quick question.
We are getting our Dutch Shepherd pup in June and was wondering what size crate we might need. We are getting the Midwest all life stages crate with the double doors and the adjustable panel. The crate size chart goes by weight. I talked to our breeder and she had said that our pup should exceed the 70lb mark. The cut off between the two sizes I am thinking is 40 something to 70lbs and the next size starts at 71 lbs. Not sure which one to go with. Any input would be helpful.

Re: New to this!
Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:52 am
by LyonsFamily
Do you have dimensions for the crates? I hardly ever go by weight since a 40lb dogs can be taller or longer than a 70lb dog. Odin is about 72lbs full grown now, but he's pretty tall. His wire crate is 42x26 and 28" tall. I originally had the size smaller than that when we first got him and he was a little over a year, maybe 10lbs lighter, but I returned it the day after we brought him home.
For travelling and shows, he has a Large plastic petmate kennel. 36x24x26. Elli has the same one for travelling and shows and she used it when crate training. Elli is only 42lbs though and short and long. It works fine for the car and day trips for Odin, but I don't think I'd leave him in it for longer periods of crate training.
Re: New to this!
Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:38 pm
by Stacy_R
Tyson is 15 months old, just under 50 lbs, and stands 24" tall at the shoulder. I have him in a 42(l) x 30(h) x 28(w) wire crate.
Re: New to this!
Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:13 am
by Devo7
Thank you guys for your input. The two sizes that I am looking at are: 36-inch: 36.75 L x 23.25 W x 24.75 H
42-inch: 43.25 L x 29.25 W x 30.5 H. I know it is hard to say at this point, I am leaning toward the 42 inch. I had rather have it a tad bit to big than to small. I just hope the 42 will be big enough. Look at me already worrying. Me and my fiance have been looking for a dog for the past year and a half, after we researched as much as we could we finally decided on a DS. We are beyond excited!

Re: New to this!
Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:54 am
by LyonsFamily
I think the 42" should be fine. You might get a few ear tips sticking out when standing, but he'll fit well. I know both Odin and Elli can fit in my 42" wire one at the same time, although I can't guarantee they'll be happy about it. If you want, I can shoot some pictures of Odin modelling it for you this weekend so you can see what it's like for a bigger DS in different positions.
Re: New to this!
Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:23 pm
by Devo7
That would be great if you don't mind! Got to love pictures!