Could my puppy be a dutch shepherd/labrador mix?

Wondering if that new friend you just brought home is a Dutch Shepherd? Post here.
Forum rules
Please read the first post: "Forum Rules and FAQ"
robzter
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am a 31 year old English teacher in a university here in the Philippines. I am married witha beautiful son. I used to be a basketball coach for my previous school. now I'm a volunteer coach for our community basketball team. I like many kinds of animals. I have pet birds (finches), cats, fishes, dogs, oriental garden lizard, and even a tarantula. my past dogs were shih tzu, pitbull mix, local dog breed, belgian malinois/german shepherd mix, and now I have labrador/dutch shepherd mix puppy (but I'm not 100% sure yet)...

Could my puppy be a dutch shepherd/labrador mix?

Post by robzter »

Good day, everyone!
I need your expert opinions in order for me to know if the puppy I have now is a possible Dutch Shepherd / Labrador mix...

Thank you very much! :) :DScool:
Attachments
need help identifying if this puppy really is a dutch shepherd mix... cheers! =)
need help identifying if this puppy really is a dutch shepherd mix... cheers! =)
goomie.jpg (114.75 KiB) Viewed 5784 times
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...

Re: Could my puppy be a dutch shepherd/labrador mix?

Post by Stacy_R »

What led you to suppose that mix?
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
feraloup
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Artist, Mother, Equestrienne, Educator, Homesteader wannabe, dog-lover. Not counting my current DS, I have had 2 GSDs and 3 rescued mixed-breeds. All of these dogs were rescues, except for my childhood GSD, who was a gift from my parents when I was 7, and my current DS who I bartered artwork for from the breeder. Maiyou, one of my current dogs, is a Pitbull/New Guinea Singing Dog of 13 years old. Still very active and "Young" in nature. I now also have a DS named Mokume, (pronounced "Moh-koo-meh") or "Moko" for short. Newest member of our pack is Freyja, a random mixed hound I rescued during a horseback trip in the middle of a state forest.

Post by feraloup »

Do you have additional pictures from other angles? That one pic actually makes me think Carolina Dog... either way, soooo cute! :)
Autumn Dufresne

"If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them, and what you do not know, you will fear. What one fears, one destroys." ~Chief Dan George
Stacy_R
Training Dog

Post by Stacy_R »

feraloup wrote:Do you have additional pictures from other angles? That one pic actually makes me think Carolina Dog... either way, soooo cute! :)
Holy cow!!! That was my first thought exactly!!! I didn't say anything because I didn't think anyone else would know what I was talking about...LOL. I had never heard of a Carolina Dog until I moved east...to the Carolinas!!! ;)
~Stacy
Mom to:
robzter
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am a 31 year old English teacher in a university here in the Philippines. I am married witha beautiful son. I used to be a basketball coach for my previous school. now I'm a volunteer coach for our community basketball team. I like many kinds of animals. I have pet birds (finches), cats, fishes, dogs, oriental garden lizard, and even a tarantula. my past dogs were shih tzu, pitbull mix, local dog breed, belgian malinois/german shepherd mix, and now I have labrador/dutch shepherd mix puppy (but I'm not 100% sure yet)...

Post by robzter »

The guy who gave me the puppy told me that the mother is a ds... and the sire is a lab... i saw the other pup and it has a spotted (dark) coloration but the ears aren't totally upright.

Carolina dog? oh my goodness! I looked at the pictures in google and I can clearly see your point. hahaha! she does look like one. :lol:

anyways, here are additional pictures.

Thank you all for your insights. :)
Attachments
pups pictures (other angles)
pups pictures (other angles)
goomie.jpg (219.36 KiB) Viewed 5698 times
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Oh how adorable !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
robzter
Just Whelped

Post by robzter »

Dutchringgirl wrote:Oh how adorable !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you! :D
:DScool:
robzter
Just Whelped

Post by robzter »

feraloup wrote:Do you have additional pictures from other angles? That one pic actually makes me think Carolina Dog... either way, soooo cute! :)
Thank you! :D

:DScool:
robzter
Just Whelped

Post by robzter »

here is a picture of my puppy's sister... :)
Attachments
my puppy's sister
my puppy's sister
dutch.png (361.65 KiB) Viewed 5650 times
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

She is to cute !!!A Fluffy striped girl !!
ImageImage
Scott123
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: We are serious and very proud of our pups...they have the best start possible. All of our bitches are OFA (Good or Excellent) bred only to carefully selected proven titled Field Champions sires. We work hard to ensure your pup is free of hereditary defects.

Post by Scott123 »

Like the dutch Shepherd, the Lab is very versatile and excels at many different activities. This dog could make an excellent seeing eye dog, search and rescue dog or police K9 in narcotics detection.

dutch Shepherd Lab MixA Lab dutch Shepherd will have a manageable coat. Both breeds are double coated, but a Labrador's hair is much shorter than a shepherd's.

A Lab Shepherd mix dog will likely show a high degree of dog intelligence. A German Shepherd is ranked third, while a Lab is in the number 7 spot.

dutch Shepherd mix will likely be easier to train than a purebred GSD. And a bit less challenging.
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

Scott123 wrote: And a bit less challenging.
How so?

I base my question only on a few things: departments who received their first DS partners and found them more difficult to handle than the GSDs they're used to; the breed being known for going up the lead; and their genetic pool not being as diluted as GSDs.

If you say they're easier due to intelligence, agility due to size, and better overall health due to the gene pool (thus far), I see that.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Stacy_R
Training Dog

Post by Stacy_R »

Scott123 wrote:dutch Shepherd mix will likely be easier to train than a purebred GSD. And a bit less challenging.
I'm not sure I agree with that as I've had both. While my DS/mix picks up on things quicker and works harder, he's definitely more challenging in the sense of energy, focus, time, etc. And definitely has had (and sometimes still does, depending on the situation) a propensity to be a bit more mouthy than either of my GSD's.
~Stacy
Mom to:
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I dont agree either. I agree with Stacy, they learn fast but the energy and figuring out other things that you dont want them to figure out, does make them a challenge. Sadie is super mouthy as well.
ImageImage
KellaA+dog6
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I am a married empty nester, who was lucky enough to stay home with kids, dogs, and cats when not traveling with husband.

Post by KellaA+dog6 »

While I don't think it applies here, Labs can carry a recessive for brindle points. http://labradornet.com/brindletanpoint.html
Kella's Person Mara