Potty time :)

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
shana
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Hey all im a dutch addict :) lol we now have three in my family my dad has two that work up at a farm with him been stealing them for months and working with a protection sports group in my area LOVE LOVE LOVE this breed yes even in the temper tantrum melt down demonic running around like a cracked out two year old moments lol just got my own seven week puppy can't wait to see him grow.

Potty time :)

Post by shana »

Getting a new pup in a few weeks picking him up May fourth :) just wondering how often I should be taking my pup out to potty at night in the beginning I've been thinking every two hours just wondering what peoples experiences have been :)
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Re: Potty time :)

Post by alspyce »

Do you want to get up every 2 Hrs. for the rest of your life?? How old is your pup going to be?

I usually don't wake them up to go out, I let them tell me when it's time. Don't fall for them wanting out just to go walking, stay in one spot, use your potty command, and then it's praise (If they "go") and back to bed. Use a crate small enough for housebreaking so he won't feel comfortable messing in it. No beds, toys, etc. in the crates, it's bed time and they need to know it's time to sleep.

Is this your first pup? Where is it coming from? Post pictures!!!
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I agree with Chris, I would take them out later then thats it.

Yeah, where are the pictures ??/ You will have a revolt on your hands if you dont post any soon. :)
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...

Post by Stacy_R »

Here is an excellent blog post on the potty basics written by a trainer-friend of mine.

http://pawsthenplay.com/potty-basics-to ... not-to-go/

Here is another post of hers on the importance of crate training.

http://pawsthenplay.com/dog-training-of ... mportance/
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
shana
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Hey all im a dutch addict :) lol we now have three in my family my dad has two that work up at a farm with him been stealing them for months and working with a protection sports group in my area LOVE LOVE LOVE this breed yes even in the temper tantrum melt down demonic running around like a cracked out two year old moments lol just got my own seven week puppy can't wait to see him grow.

Post by shana »

Ok thanks :) I will check it out he's going to be seven weeks :) and I will post tons of pics as soon as I bring him home :) very excited about this pup his dad is in my PSA club and is an amazing dog just trying to make sure I learn as much as possible before I bring him home oh and yes this is my first puppy I'm very excited!!
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

puppies that young do have a simple inability [ separate from will or training ] to hold urine very long. letting him out every 1 1/2 - 2 hours until he is a bit older will allow him not to have involuntary accidents [ and there is often at this stage little or no advance warning from most pups]. during the night-sleep hours, this usually is not the case [ less excitement ] but if someone gets up during the night, it is good to open the door and give a ''go pee'' command, otherwise he may not make it all the way out the door in the morning. [ twice - or 3x? - during the night will probably be sufficient.]

these dogs house-train very easily, but just remember that the physical ability to hold pee is very limited for a few months, but, of course, will also be improving rapidly week-to-week. if he has plenty of pee opportunity, he has plenty of potty opportunity also; just be open to signs that he needs more time for the 2nd act before calling/taking him in. praise and reward anytime he relieves himself in the right location and he will ''get it'' unbelievably fast and will comply as his body allows him to.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
shana
Puppy

Post by shana »

Awesome! Thanks so much for the input yeah he will be at work with me so I will be able to take him out every hour and a half or so no problem :) and that makes sense about night time