Page 1 of 1

Noah Ark

Posted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:32 pm
by HeatherH
Quack
I don't know where a lot of people live on here, but it's been raining a lot. We walk Dutch no matter the weather, but I need to find games and stuff because he's getting bored the poor thing. The backyard is a swamp. It was easier in the winter. We have an unfinished basement for now. I have plans, Greg's going to be busy, and he just doesn't know it.
I know tug is his favorite and we play find it he does not have a crate. What do you do when you can't play outside?

Heather

Re: Noah Ark

Posted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:17 pm
by Raven
We live behind a protected swamp, so our property can be spongy but when it rains--whoa! Thor has a lot of activities that are indoor/outdoor.

Searches: object searches where he signals he's found them by going in a down (I follow him around); treat searches where he returns to me when he's found them (I stay in another part of the house). Object identification: "Bring...." whatever.

Heel work: we wouldn't win any competitions (due to MY lack of grace), but I can throw tons of microscopic signals his way for tons of different movements. We don't have any "routines;" I make it up as we go along, so he has to stay on his toes.

Tricks: things like placing rings on (wine!) bottles, differentiating objects/object identification but by how I want them identified ("push"=with nose, "touch"=with paw, etc.), etc.

Chores: Thor knows to pick up his toys and bin them when the vacuum comes out (as well as place any errant clothing his father left around in the hamper, and put shoes in the mud room); he helps with laundry detail; he does all the recycling that's safe to do (bottle returns as well as the everyday items) including opening/closing the doors to the bins; etc.

We have a small house, but he still can get some indoor exercise by retrieving things I throw down the hall. It can get a little ho-hum so I mix it up with his tug and/or object identification between throws----but the object I.D. really, REALLY amps him up, for some reason. Much more than tug!

Re: Noah Ark

Posted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:23 pm
by johninny
and if you need a hands-off approach, i always find that ''new'' marrow bones or antlers will do the trick for quite a while. when the interest in their new booty dies down, it can easily be re-kindled with a little provocation until the storms pass.

Re: Noah Ark

Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:13 pm
by HeatherH
Our neighbors gave Dutch some antlers and he just loved them a little too protective. It kept him busy for a while.