Page 1 of 1

Updates on Hendrix

Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:39 am
by Owned-By-Hendrix
So a quick aside on Hendrix AKA Felon.... He's 9 months and officially a PITA teen. You'll frequently hear me threatening to take up more serious drinking and coming up with delightful nicknames that aptly describe how much of a derp he's being at any time. But in all seriousness I love this dog.

His fearfulness around strangers and men is almost completely gone. I wish I could say it was all me but it wasn't. A lot of training, a long break, and then him maturing helped. We were able to take him to his first big festival a few weekends ago where the only things he freaked out on was the live music, a suddenly wall of people where you could only stand shoulder to shoulder, and two asshole dogs. Not a single person got a snarl or growl. He will still try to go off on someone at random, mainly because they insist on meeting him or run out of treats, but a sharp "no" from me turns him off. He's now more interested in other dogs than people which is great. He is still protective of me as ever and will now check up on me or come and retrieve me if he thinks there's an intruder, and maybe will listen if I give the okay.

As for the crate... Well, I'm at a loss. He got marginally better before an accident (he peed in his crate - my bad I forgot how much water he had had before crating him and mistimed my arrival home) so he's been in his old plastic crate instead of his wire one. And not a peep. No howling and screaming. Just whines when he wants to come out. I'm testing to see if he tires of this and the attention seeking begins again.

We're currently learning to bark on command and walk politely on a leash. After several broken collars and escapes he's on a fursaver for all outdoor time and we're transitioning him from harness to that. His impulse control is getting better every time we head out. The only heeling he does is an attention heel and we both trip on branches and the sidewalk so I'm settling for not pulling me down the street like a wagon. His obedience is good and we're almost ready to start learning recalls on an ecollar (vibrate function only) so I can trust him a tad bit more off leash in fields. There was a Rabbit Incident I prefer to never remember again.

Now for his Felon name.... His breeder once told me he was going to call him that because he bites. Well he forgot to mention he was a kleptomaniac too. Anything and everything has recently become Hendrix's new item. My shoes. My blanket (found a hole while snuggling deeper into it this morning; I now have a Queen sized snuggie). Treat bags. Kitchen utensils. Plates. Wireless mice. My underwear (he's peed on a new bra of mine in front if neighbors). Flour containers. Flower pots. Books. And my all time favorite, his leash collection - he got so tangled up in it he was trying to figure out how to run with two legs. He stealthily sneaks up to said item of his choosing, grabs, and runs. And there is no catching him. He leaps the couch and ottoman in one bound and acts like it's his own personal hurdle. It's insane. And commands are optional at this time. He'll maybe trade you for a treat. Maybe. If he's growing bored. If you ignore him he'll taunt you and if you still don't respond he'll spirit away the item somewhere and good luck finding it. So we're trying to deal with his kleptomania which thankfully only appears at home. He also has a theme song to go along with his new Felon persona.

Other then him magically managing to lock himself in the car while it was running (AC on thank goodness) for three hours and that time the cops pulled over to watch a conversation I had with him about not eating road kill, which involved high pitch squeaks, arm flailing, snorts, Chewbacca groans, belly rub asking, threats of alien abductions, and a rendition of "Let It Go" and "Hit Me Baby One More Time", life has been the constant catching up whirlwind of trainer fails and DS madness. But I love him and love seeing him grow and mature. He's going to be one heck of a cool dog when he's an adult. Until then he's my darling asshat because he still shoves his butt up on you to show affection - or in my case in my face. But together we're just a whole whirlwind of derp.

Re: Updates on Hendrix

Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:17 pm
by Dutchringgirl
aaaaah Yes, life with a Dutch, aint it grand ?????

Re: Updates on Hendrix

Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:39 pm
by Raven
Owned-By-Hendrix wrote:As for the crate... Well, I'm at a loss. He got marginally better before an accident (he peed in his crate - my bad I forgot how much water he had had before crating him and mistimed my arrival home) so he's been in his old plastic crate instead of his wire one. And not a peep. No howling and screaming. Just whines when he wants to come out. I'm testing to see if he tires of this and the attention seeking begins again.
So...had you previously tried draping a blanket over his wire crate??? I can't remember.

You and the boy have made some great progress. Congrats on seeing some pay-off for all the hard work!

Re: Updates on Hendrix

Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:33 pm
by Owned-By-Hendrix
Thanks guys! It's certainly a fun roller coaster. He amazes me with every month he grows. I want another one!!!! Maybe in two or three years….

Yup I did try the blanket. I was so proud of myself until I realized he was pulling it through the wires to chew. (face palm) Soaking it in apple bitters and tabasco did nothing to stop him. I'm thinking of trying it again but building a structure to rest on top of the crate so he can't pull the blanket through again. I can't tell if he likes the walls of the plastic crate better, the darkness, or the enclosure aspect. Or maybe he's in a brooding teen mood.

Re: Updates on Hendrix

Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:20 pm
by HeatherH
"Now for his Felon name.... His breeder once told me he was going to call him that because he bites. Well he forgot to mention he was a kleptomaniac too. "

Hilarious. If you say no to Dutch or tick him off he will take something of yours and hide it or chew to pieces. He always take my shoes and not Greg's wouldn't touch them if his life depended on it.

Re: Updates on Hendrix

Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:39 pm
by Stacy_R
Kira...
You have your hands FULL!!!
He may prefer the plastic crate...who knows. Tyson hated the plastic crate, but would pull the blanket through (just like Hendrix). Thankfully he is past that stage now!!! What we did is this:
my husband went to our local home improvement store and bought some peg board and we measured, cut, and zip-tied it to the sides of the wire crate. We left the top open and about 6 inches toward the front on both sides. Leaving the top open but the sides partially covered seemed to satisfy him.

As for the kleptomania...good luck with impulse control training...LOL. We are pulling for ya!

Re: Updates on Hendrix

Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:37 am
by deadrabbits
Oh man I laughed so hard reading this. Especially the part about the roadkill discussion. It's sounds like he's a ball of fun. I wish we lived close to let him and pepper play.

Re: Updates on Hendrix

Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:55 pm
by Dutchringgirl
No matter what they put you through, you still love the breed. I think we must be insane to want more of them.
I also laughed when you said he pulled the blanket through !!!! Been there too. the klepto part is funny. My parents BH is a klepto but hounds will do that, then she forgets where she buried the item.

Re: Updates on Hendrix

Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:13 pm
by HeatherH
Name calling, we call Dutch poohead (when he's done something wrong) because S.H.I.T. head ( I don't know what's not allowed on here not what I usually post anyway) is not nice. We do use PITA a lot. He's starting to answer to poohead.

Funny story.
Before I was married and my dal. He use to pee on my dates if he didn't like them and/or stand at the door if they stayed past 10. I called it my barometer.

Heather

Re: Updates on Hendrix

Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:40 pm
by Owned-By-Hendrix
Here's a funny aside - I've learned he has magically developed great non-klepto skills inside stores but in the car and my house, not so much. Until today. He magically managed to sneak a bully stick out of a store today despite us checking him. Luckily the owner knows him and laughed her butt off as she watched me get him into the car, start to pull out, stop, return to my spot and come inside, explaining "he got a bully stick."

Casey - I know! I can't believe how much Pepper looks like Hendrix, down to the red in the coat! Do you know the names of her parents? I know the breeder I got him from sells a lot of dogs to Arizona PD and such. Wondering if maybe they have shared genes somewhere!

Stacey - thanks! I'll totally try that! I was thinking about pieces of clear plastic and spray painting it but I seem to forget to check out that option at the hardware store.

Heather - LOL. Hendrix has a theme song and he knows it. When he hears it he looks at me with a sad look. I love the story about your dal!!!!

Lisa - maybe Hendrix should meet your parents BH… doesn't one klepto cancel out another? Or is considered a crime ring at that point? ;)

Re: Updates on Hendrix

Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:38 pm
by Stacy_R
Owned-By-Hendrix wrote: Lisa - maybe Hendrix should meet your parents BH… doesn't one klepto cancel out another? Or is considered a crime ring at that point? ;)
hahahahaha! I can just see it in my head... Hendrix and the BH plotting away.

Re: Updates on Hendrix

Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:56 pm
by deadrabbits
I don't remember the sires name but the dame is maya. Pepper is already bigger than her mom in height but still hasn't filled out yet.

Re: Updates on Hendrix

Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:03 pm
by Mobil
:eek:

Reading this, I can see I am so screwed. Delco's nickname is already 'asshole' for the same kinds of shenanigans.

I think I'll be saving up some money to get Mobil's obedience training through CherCar.

Re: Updates on Hendrix

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:27 pm
by Dutchringgirl
Stacy_R wrote:
Owned-By-Hendrix wrote: Lisa - maybe Hendrix should meet your parents BH… doesn't one klepto cancel out another? Or is considered a crime ring at that point? ;)
hahahahaha! I can just see it in my head... Hendrix and the BH plotting away.
oh yeah ! Sadie and Misty [BH] are always plotting something, Hendrix can join in. Thalie just sits on the side embarrassed

:oops:

Re: Updates on Hendrix

Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:44 am
by Mark77
I have two DS's. One KNPV DS and one half KNPV DS/half Mal. The Mal though only half is all Mal and is the most rambunctious dog I've ever known. She is very sweet but has way to much energy.