What type of collar???

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Post Reply
User avatar
karenz
Training Dog
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 am
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.
Location: NC

What type of collar???

Post by karenz »

I have been looking online all morning for a new collar for Xander. Now that I think his neck is about finished growing I want to get him a nice leather collar. In the process of looking I saw some leather choke collars. Right now I use a choke chain. I don't really like the metal chain and thought about ordering a leather one. I don't feel he needs a pinch collar. He does not require something that hard. Can anyone give me a suggestion on leather choke collars? Width? Length? I measured the regular collar he wears all the time and it is almost 20" around. Do they work as good or better than metal? I had read awhile back about a dominant dog collar. Is that the same thing? If not which would be better?
Karen & Xander
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: What type of collar???

Post by Raven »

If memory serves, a dominant dog collar serves the purpose of zapping the air out of a dog. If your guy doesn't need a prong, he wouldn't need a dominant one. I never do choke collars, so can't speak to those.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: What type of collar???

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I dont know anything about Dominant dog collars, sorry. I am a fan of prong and thats all I use when I need control, Or they are on flat collars and harnesses.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
alspyce
Working Dog
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Location: Corinth, New York

Re: What type of collar???

Post by alspyce »

Dominant dog collars are made with a floating ring and snap that hooks to it. They are made to sit just under the ears - high on the neck. You need to measure for a correct fit.
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: What type of collar???

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Oh, I have seen that type of collar, had no idea.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
dogbyte
Puppy
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:29 pm
Tell us about yourself: I have been owned by German Shepherd Dogs for over 20 years. I have come to the dark side with my first Dutch Shepherd. Rossi is an almost 11 month old female from Land of Oz kennel. I have a 10 year old GSD and an 8 year old.

Re: What type of collar???

Post by dogbyte »

if not for leaving on the dog, as i would not ever leave anything other than a buckle type, i love the nylon martingale type collar. A little control with out too much. My dutch and my rescue GSD use those except for training. LIke walks and going to and from the vehicle. My older GSD is a combo micro pinch and martingale.. Leerburg has a really nice wide one that Rossi uses. My others are just nylon webbing purchased from various places...never leave choke,pinch,martingale collars on..i also won't leave any collar on when dogs are loose together. Had a GSD that was to be in one of my training classes that couldn't come as she almost died when the lab got it's lower jaw stuck in it's buckle on collar when the 2 were playing. Luckily the owners were able to get them apart, but the GSD suffered alot of damage to her neck....just an fyi
cathy,jaden,gracie & rossi with xara, chance and zoey forever snuggled deep inside my heart
User avatar
karenz
Training Dog
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 am
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.
Location: NC

Re: What type of collar???

Post by karenz »

Dogbyte: I never leave any collar on him except his regular buckle collar. I was just looking something with a little extra control for walks, going places like the vet, pet store, and out in public. He definitely doesn't need anything harsh. It's more of a just in case kind of thing. I think the martingale is what I was trying to describe in my post. It is a flat leather or nylon collar with a chain and loop. It looks like it would work similar to a choke chain. I just really don't like the choke chains. I think I will give the martingale a try. Thanks
Karen & Xander
User avatar
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Posts: 947
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: What type of collar???

Post by LyonsFamily »

I really don't see a difference between a regular nylon slip collar and the dominant collar as far a performance. The dominant dog collar only cuts off air if that's the handler's intent with a correction, or when the dog lunges and self corrects. You'll get the same thing with a plain slip collar and any type of correction collar is supposed to be worn high up on the neck.

If I'm looking for an easy slip to transport a dog, bring it out to the agility ring, or move a non-leash trained kennel dog, I usually just use a collar/slip leash combo so I'm not dealing with multiple collars. I modified one of my leather leashes recently to make the end look like a dominant dog collar, and it works great for what I need it to. I took a metal ring off of a cheap vet slip lead and slid it down the leash and just clipped the end to it.
dog-collar.jpg
dog-collar.jpg (364.72 KiB) Viewed 4409 times
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
User avatar
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Posts: 942
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:40 am
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Re: What type of collar???

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

We use a fursaver for H. He slips through almost every buckle collar so he uses the fursaver for anytime we leave the house. Same action as a choke but doesn't break off the hair creating that line. Seems he almost prefers it to his buckle collar now.

I sometimes shop Etsy for nice leather collars... I can't remember the one site I liked besides amazon for just basic leather collars.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Post Reply