Page 1 of 1
average growth rate?? weight?
Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:27 am
by Kitty_the_dog
Our kitty was uner weight when we got him. 7.6 pounds at 6 weeks old.. was told he qas 8, vet said no way, 6 weeks is more likely. We staryed him on a good puppy chow, wet and dry, meat as the primary ingredient and at 8 weeks old he was 13 pounds and he is now 11 weeks old and 18 pounds. Was curious if anyone remembers their puppies weight growth and how much the average shepherd weighs full grown. Also he may have some black lab mixed in him. Would really appreciate any replies! !! We may need to buy a new home hahaha

Re: average growth rate?? weight?
Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:03 am
by johninny
kitty's weight progression sounds perfect so far. most DS males probably wind up around 70 lb. at 2 yrs old. some are smaller, but if there is a significant variation from 70 lb., that variation is more likely to be to the upside, since the breed seems to be getting bigger. my own guess is that 66 to 80 lb covers a huge percentage of DS males.
can others confirm that DS males over 100 lb are relatively few? any guesses as to % of male DSs over 100 lb? [ i have a friend with a crew of mals and DS and one DS is 125! anyone else here with big DS? ]
Re: average growth rate?? weight?
Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:29 pm
by DanLu5
My guy's weighed 27 lbs. when I picked him up at 10 weeks. He's slowly been gaining weight and is now at 66 lbs. at just under 14 months old - at this point seems to be full height but still lacking full adult male muscular development. The breeder estimated he'd be about 75 lbs. by the time he was done and seems to be on track for this.
I second the above comment that most DS males will fall between 66-80 lbs. I haven't heard of one above 100 lbs. but anything is possible especially if there's been some GSD interbred at some point.
Re: average growth rate?? weight?
Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:27 pm
by karenz
I don't remember exactly all of Xander's weights at certain ages. He just turned a year old in June and he weighs 75 pounds give or take. It's been awhile since I measured his height but the last measurement was 26 inches. I'm guessing he won't get taller since he is a year old. I will have to measure again and see what he is now. From what I have read here he may put on some more weight. Hopefully not too much. He is a perfect size now.
Re: average growth rate?? weight?
Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:48 pm
by Kitty_the_dog
Perfect thank you all so much!!! really appreciate the replies. you guys are all awesome and so are your pups
