Page 1 of 1
How often do you brush?
Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:03 pm
by Owned-By-Hendrix
Alrighty boys and girls… I have a question. How often do you brush your striped beasties? I feel like I'm constantly battling hair with H. His fur is a little longer than most DS I've seen (more like 1.5-2" long) and if I brush him twice a week with either a shedding blade or a curry comb it seems to help me keep a handle of Sir Shed-A-Lot. It doesn't take a long brushing session but it does need to be done twice a week. He gets his coconut oil and fish oil/Vit. E, bathed every 4-7 weeks depending on the weather and his smell, and has no balding spots or skin irritations that I can find. Coat is healthy and shiny. So either I'm not brushing him right or he just sheds.
Re: How often do you brush?
Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:29 pm
by Raven
I brush Thor every week; sometimes once a week, sometimes two or three. (I can't find a brush I really like. I have a few. The brushing usually starts with circular finger-scrubbing.) The last couple weeks have been a battle, though--I can't seem to get the undercoat out. Every time I think I might be winning the war, I see more tufts.
I don't bathe him much--a light wash twice a year. Other than that, he gets some wet-downs with finger-scrubs. (I worry about drying out the skin and coat.)
Have the seasons been "off" in the area you live???
Re: How often do you brush?
Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:18 am
by Mobil
I seldom brush them for a full brushing; they still have their puppy coats. I bring out the brush every few days and give then some light swipes with it just so they are used to it.
Re: How often do you brush?
Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:19 am
by karenz
I have to brush Xander every other day. If not we have tangles. But his hair is really long. That's why I'm dealing with him getting cranky about brushing. The furminator brush is working good. I also bought a deal tangler and some de tangler spray. It is a challenge and a headache but I wouldn't trade his furry butt for anything.
Re: How often do you brush?
Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:45 am
by Owned-By-Hendrix
Sharon - if by "off" you mean more bipolar than a SyFy natural disaster movie involving sharks…. yup. It's usually 100+ degrees in the summer here (and by summer I mean starting in June) but we just barely started hitting the 100+ consistent weather this past week then were hit by a major cool from (upper 80s). I can't decide if H is having troubles adjusting (like my wardrobe is) or what. Seems like he's been this way since about 6 months, so around February.
Karen - H has long "butt fur" as I call it… when it tangles its a pain… that and the small burrs we get when we hike and I have to pick out… ugh.
Dusty - I highly don't recommend using those mitts they sell for puppies that's essentially the brush on the hand… H's favorite game when he was younger was "bite the big red mitt". But it's great you're starting them on brushing already! Have you also started introducing water from wherever they'll be bathed? Took H a while to realize water from the faucet was just like the water from the hose.
Re: How often do you brush?
Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:49 am
by deadrabbits
For pepper it's twice week since it's hot out here. I use a kong rubber brush that really gets the undercoat and a vacuum cleaner

. Funny thing is that she likes the vacuum better than the comb. Rolls all over the floor when I turn it on and let's me get her with the comb attachment for the hose.
Re: How often do you brush?
Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:41 pm
by Dutchringgirl
I dont brush Sadie with a brush, she HATES it! She gets the finger treatment. Thalie loves to be brushed and my daughter is always brushing her. Her coat has gotten thicker as she gets older so she does need it more.
Re: How often do you brush?
Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:06 pm
by Mobil
Owned-By-Hendrix wrote:
Dusty - I highly don't recommend using those mitts they sell for puppies that's essentially the brush on the hand… H's favorite game when he was younger was "bite the big red mitt". But it's great you're starting them on brushing already! Have you also started introducing water from wherever they'll be bathed? Took H a while to realize water from the faucet was just like the water from the hose.
No, I've never had puppy mitts before. I have an undercoat rake and a boar bristle brush that I used for Delco. I used the undercoat rake on his breeches & tail, and the bristle brush everywhere else. His fur was shiny and soft (well, soft for a GSD)
they get baths in the bathtub. they like the backyard pool and any lake just fine, and try to get in the tub when the kids are taking a bath, but hoo, boy, when it's their turn, they'd rather be elsewhere.
Re: How often do you brush?
Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:19 pm
by karenz
Xander LOVES bath time. He gets baths a couple times a week but I don't use soap but every few weeks. He just gets in the tub and plays and rinses off the dirt. I can't keep him out of the tub. I have to sneak to take a shower so he doesn't jump in.
Xander also has long "butt" hair and long hair everywhere. I am really liking the furminator brush to get out the undercoat. But he actually doesn't shed alot. I have to brush often to keep the tangles out.
Re: How often do you brush?
Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:36 pm
by Owned-By-Hendrix
Dusty, Karen - H is a mixture of your two! Loves outside water and hated the bath. He finally got to the point where he would deal with it without crying or screaming. Though when I showed him the water actually came from the tub faucet.... Now if I go to the bathroom he bursts in and demands "tub time" to play in the water.
Casey - I'm pretty sure you just made me wet myself laughing. Pepper gets vacuumed! I'm pretty sure H would show me where to put that if I tried... He still can't figure out if the vacuum is friendly though he doesn't mind it when it's on. When it's off though...
Dusty - yeah apparently "puppy mitts" are all the rage now. Silly sales pitch got my mom to buy several so I gave the silly things to a shelter. They worked fairly well as a comb though. Just not for my guy. H loves bristle brushes on his head. Nowhere else. Just his head. He also loves eating undercoat rakes with the fur on it.
Re: How often do you brush?
Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:43 pm
by Owned-By-Hendrix
Lisa - are you saying I have more fur to look forward to as H grows up????? I'm a little terrified. (Eyes large hair wad in corner)
Re: How often do you brush?
Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:44 pm
by karenz
Owned-By-Hendrix wrote:Casey - I'm pretty sure you just made me wet myself laughing. Pepper gets vacuumed! I'm pretty sure H would show me where to put that if I tried... He still can't figure out if the vacuum is friendly though he doesn't mind it when it's on. When it's off though...
This reminded me of a funny story. As a puppy Xander felt the need to protect me from the vacuum monster. He would bark bite jump and try to kill it. We finally got over that. But.... a few weeks ago I was vacuuming and I took the hose and vacuumed around the edge of the tables. In the process one of Xander's balls suckered to the hose. I showed it to him and he tried to pull the ball off and it kept suckling back. He started making his Chewbacca noises, gave the head cock stare down. He couldn't figure out why that thing wouldn't give him his ball. I almost wet my pants laughing so hard. So now when I vacuum we play vacuum ball for about 10 minutes.

Re: How often do you brush?
Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:31 pm
by Dutchringgirl
Owned-By-Hendrix wrote:Lisa - are you saying I have more fur to look forward to as H grows up????? I'm a little terrified. (Eyes large hair wad in corner)
They do get thicker coats as they get older. Thalie's didnt get longer but thicker, she is not as happy during the summer as she used to be. Her butt is really fluffy

Re: How often do you brush?
Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:38 pm
by Owned-By-Hendrix
Now I'm going to have to try vacuum ball!
Oh dear. I'll be curious to see how thick H's gets. It's already thick-ish. Not nearly as thick as a GSD or Husky. I do love his fluffy butt. And he will come running when I call "Mr. Fluffy Pants!"
I'm a horrible fur mom, aren't I? Lol.
Re: How often do you brush?
Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:01 pm
by Raven
Owned-By-Hendrix wrote:And he will come running when I call "Mr. Fluffy Pants!"
Save your pennies. I see therapy in his future.
Re: How often do you brush?
Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:03 am
by Owned-By-Hendrix
So I need to find a therapist with a two for one deal because both he and I will need therapy soon! It's very hurtful when he mocks me… (snigger) lol!
The other day I was asking him something like "do you love mom?" or some other inane question and he shook his head. I then asked "No? Why?" and he sighed. I replied "so I'm annoying? That's mean" and he wiped at his face like he was crying… I think my dog called me a baby.
Re: How often do you brush?
Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:31 am
by Raven
You two make me laugh....
I'll ask Thor: "You love your mudder?" and I get a kiss.
His father asks: "You love your Pa?" and he gets a sharp, manly bark.
Re: How often do you brush?
Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:46 pm
by Asha
Can you brush too often?
Re: How often do you brush?
Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:45 pm
by Mark77
Riddick has long hair and hates the heat but loves the snow. Asia is a short hair and hates the cold. The new baby puppy is also a short hair. So I think it will just be me and Riddick shoveling the driveway this winter while the girls sit inside with mom.