Page 1 of 1

Here's A Crazy Question For You

Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:51 am
by Raven
Have you heard of or know a dog to sundown, as in the term applied to humans with dementia? I'm not talking about a dog suddenly full of vim and vigor after dinner or a meal.

Thor has been unusually calm during the day, even lounging in the sun outside. (Thor? Lounge? Sunbathe? Did hell freeze over?) Late afternoon/later at night, he's more like himself.

These guys are adaptable, and I've thought that could be part of it due to a change in my daytime schedule at home, but I rarely can get him to go b**** to-the-wall until later. When I get the :eek: look, it's time.

He's responsive--no change there--and I commented in a thread from a couple months ago (?) that he's more interested in helping and in mental stim than physical activity.

I just can't get sundowning out of my silly head.

Re: Here's A Crazy Question For You

Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:29 am
by Owned-By-Hendrix
H sunbaths when he's decided the AC is too much. He'll stay out there for a good while. But I did some Google searches as I'm totally unfamiliar with sundowning as it appears in dogs. The latter article looked more promising.

http://thebark.com/content/sundowning
http://dogshealthtips.blogspot.com/2013 ... s.html?m=1

Or google sundowning and dogs and I think the latter is the 6th one down.

Re: Here's A Crazy Question For You

Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:07 am
by Raven
Thanks, Kira. I didn't Google it. Just threw it out there. :roll: We have members who know "stuff" while the internet is riddled with, well, you know.

I don't click links, but did with the ones you posted. My security flared when I clicked the first link. The second link opened but didn't address what I'm seeing.

I didn't even think sundowning would be a term applied to dogs, but now I see that it is, but with older dogs, as with humans. Thor will six in December.

Several years ago, I had a dog who would have fit the description in most ways, but she was a 17-year-old diabetic, and while I learned the best I could how to adjust her insulin injections, the vet couldn't get a handle on her blood glucose. So, she fit the profile, but due mainly, I believe, to blood glucose levels.

Thanks, again, Kira. :D

Re: Here's A Crazy Question For You

Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:31 am
by Owned-By-Hendrix
I didn't think it would apply either! I hope someone does know because it is weird. I know H will sleep and lay in the sun after a full morning of full physical and mental activity and resume normal activity towards the evening. But not like what you're describing. How's the weather been where you are? Only thing I would wonder if it's something weather related...?

Sorry about that first link - I'm on my phone and ran it through whatever malware software I have for the phone and it didn't go off. I'll ask our trainer and see if he's heard of anything similar.

Re: Here's A Crazy Question For You

Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:22 pm
by Dutchringgirl
wow, interesting stuff. I would not be surprised that dogs could get some of the same problems we get as they age. Although one of the symptoms is staring into space, and Sadie does that alot !!!

Give them coconut oil. It is supposed to help with Alzheimer in humans. Me and the girls take some every day.

Re: Here's A Crazy Question For You

Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:55 pm
by Raven
Coconut oil is a be-all in this house. Thor gets it daily. I use it daily on my skin, use it on my hair, cook with it, and even polish furniture with it. Good stuff.

Re: Here's A Crazy Question For You

Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:02 pm
by Dutchringgirl
How old is Thor? watch him long term. the weather has been funny, its been cooler here than normal. although the cool weather would seem opposite to what would be norm for a hot day. Thalie isnt liking the heat since her coat is thicker now as she is 13, but shows normal activity. Sadie is bonkers because ofthe cooler weather but that is normal for her.