Page 1 of 1

Heart breaking

Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:23 pm
by HeatherH
There seems to be trends that people follow. I'm not that way,I don't keep up with thing I have a cell the net. I'm good.

Ever so once in a whle certain dogs are trends right now it's "São Miguel Cattle Dog" in my area . Not a family dog,but pople don't get that. They don't like anyone other then the person they're attached to.

Now to what this about. Since I got Dutch I've noticed 3 other DS in my area. The other day I'm walking around my area and notice another DS. I never see this dog out for a walk, run or training. The kid needs to be out of the dog area because of the dog.

This is breaking my heart they are nice people the are not abusing the dog but I soo want the break the dog out and take him with.

I hope this person is not on this site because I'd probably get an earful.

Heather

Re: Heart breaking

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:01 pm
by Highway0311
Have you ever thought of speaking to the owners and talking to them about what the breed needs to be happy and healthy? What kind of training etc.

Re: Heart breaking

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:41 pm
by JennieLeigh
I completely feel your pain. Last year I used to live with a married couple who got a puppy three days after I moved in. They already had two pit bulls, who were just the biggest loves and a large reason why I moved in (love pit bulls SO MUCH) and so they added this third dog. They went to a breeder and purchased a champion hunting bred red Labrador retriever puppy. By 7 months her siblings had already got their first birds. They did f**k all with her. Literally did NOTHING with this dog.

They only walked her when I said, please can I take one of the dogs for a walk? So the wife would come with me bringing Tikka (the lab) who was a complete NIGHTMARE on the leash.

She was SO frustrated by life that she quickly became completely fixated on rope toys...if there was a rope toy, she spent every minute of her day, from the time she got let out of her kennel until bedtime, completely obsessed with rope toys...she'd shred the shit out of them if you made it clear you weren't interested in playing, but she would spend countless hours begging you to throw the rope. She'd come and put it next to you, and then stand there staring fixated at it, until you so much as twitched your hand in it's direction, then she'd pounce on it and bite your hand in the process....

She could not contain herself. She was solid muscle, despite doing nothing active, because she spent all her time vibrating and tense in anticipation of this rope being thrown, or moved, or whatever. It was actually heart breaking to watch...she is SOOOOOO smart. Like scary smart. But completely wasted. She's become mildly dog aggressive as well as human aggressive because she's massively unsocialized and fearful. ugh.

It is my biggest pet peeve when people get dogs like that but lead sedentary lifestyles...i absolutely hate it. it's a disservice to the dog.

When i got Fender, I worried that maybe I wasn't going to be able to stimulate him enough, because I can be pretty lazy...But I do what I can, I go out of my way to try and tucker him out, I go through training stuff with him as often as I can, and I think I'm improving...he's urged me to be more active...but he fell into my lap sort of, love at first site in the shelter. I would never go out seeking a working bred dutchie who had parents that championed in French Ring and worked for Seal Team 6 or anything like that. I would have to be crazy.

Re: Heart breaking

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:42 pm
by HeatherH
When I get a chance I plan to talk to them. See if they'll come out with me. Introduce them to my kennel ower. That way if anything They can start taking the poor thing up to Mena ( kennel owner). He can talk anyone out of a tree.

Re: Heart breaking

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:59 pm
by johninny
that DS would think you are a gift sent from heaven!

i did not know what to say earlier because it IS so heart-breaking.