Page 1 of 1

Angry Rant

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:44 pm
by Raven
Several years ago, I brought in a well-known "behaviorist" who all the local "experts" in the area highly recommend. This was for my last surrendered/adopted DS. I came to learn he has one method, one program, regardless of breed, problems, no problems, age, size, etc...and a dog is a dog is a dog. No thank you. Without further details, I wouldn't recommend him as a dish for a dog to eat from.

A friend of mine in rescue emailed me a story. By the title, I knew I didn't want to read it and didn't. When the friend called and I told her, she started to tell me the story and I went "LALALALALALALA!" She told me to shut up and listen b/c it proves what I think and what I tell people. I was so hurt by the story she told me of this one poor dog--who isn't the only one to suffer at the hands of inept, misguided and/or macho trainers, I didn't get how it "proved" anything...until she explained that the dog had to be put down b/c of bad trainers, trainers who didn't listen to or know how to read the dog, didn't know how dogs communicate, and used "the tools of the trade" as a hard and fast program for every dog.

I'm not jumping on my bandwagon, I'm not making laundry lists or going to tell people what to do or not do. I'm just pissed and can't stop thinking about that poor dog...and the others who ended with his fate (or worse), and those who will continue to, b/c of :twisted:

Like the title suggests...this is just an angry rant.

Re: Angry Rant

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:22 pm
by Dutchringgirl
I hear ya and feel for you and that dog. There are many others and it makes me sick too that the animals suffer because of peoples big fat egos. Ive seen this in the horse world as well as the dog world. Many horses suffer because of egos and dogs get it too. It kills me when someone puts a dog down because of stupid people.

:soap:

Re: Angry Rant

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:59 pm
by Raven
We had horses as a kid. A guy who used to break horses broke in a gelding of his own. King was his "own spirit" and didn't take well to Bill's tactics--old school, of course. King had to bleed. From the head. Over and over. Nearly losing an eye.

He became my horse after Bill ruined him for everyone, including his grandkids--and how King HATED men. I was eight and thought it was pretty cool that I had this huge, bulging, 16-hand horse no one else could handle. He was as gentle as a newborn kitten with me. The only time he reared and pitched a fit when riding him was when Bill came along one day and got too close. The only other good thing to come of his brutal experience was Bill and the adults realized, that for my safety, Bill had to stay away from King and me.

I used to go in his stall and hitch myself up on him from a stool and rest on his back face down. (No one came near me when I was in there. Yee-haw!) He was an incredible beast...and could have been enjoyed by more than just me and been a happier beast if he hadn't been broken in by an old-school, macho jerk.

Thanks, Lisa. I know you know all the crap I'm talking about.

Re: Angry Rant

Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:42 am
by Owned-By-Hendrix
There's a lot of those people in TX. It's sad when I look down a list of nearly 30 trainers in my area and can only recommend one or two who aren't horrible or will ruin a dog because of incompetence. It sucks and it sucks more that these people are making money on unsuspecting customers. I really cannot stand those people.

Re: Angry Rant

Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:44 pm
by HeatherH
I know exactly what you’re talking about we have one trainer everyone swears by but I'd like swear at. I thought I'd try my dal a one only to learn that they really hurt his neck so called "popping him up". Now I know people believe in this training but it's not all encompassing.

I went back to talk to the owner who told me I didn't know what I was doing.Oh, ok thanks.

Heather