pet insurance, DS not an option

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
cordeliandemon
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: owner of a male Dutch Shepherd and female Alaskan Malamute

pet insurance, DS not an option

Post by cordeliandemon »

hey there, im mooching around getting quotes to renew kodas pet insurance and it just occured to me that id forgotten to insure demon up to now :oops:
i just spent far too much time filling in forms than id like only to have found dutch shepherd isnt in the drop down list for selecting breed (not too surprised it wasnt in the system at the vets office either)
but what do you guys do in this situation and what do you recommend?

i could select german shepherd but that may come back to bite me one day not being true, also german shepherds and GS mixes are under the "Control of Dogs Regulations, 1998" in ireland which lists them as a restricted/dangerous breed that legally must be muzzled in public at all times, not left with anyone under 16 and never walked on a leash shorter than 2 meters among other rules (and it hikes up insurance premiums too.)

or i could put him down as mixed breed/mongrel... which isnt TOO far from the truth with what goes on in a working dogs bloodline. but i suppose thats a debate in the making. (but the first words our vet ever said upon seeing demon were "so whats this guy a mix of" so hes got that going for him in that regard)

dutch shepherds arnt included in the Control of Dogs Regulations, 1998 as hardly anyone knows they exist here yet, i have no idea what to do. (btw deemy is doing great!)
Sadhbh (pronounced "Sive", its an irish name) -
Demon (dutch shepherd)
Koda (alaskan malamute)
Sidney (collie/springer spaniel)- R.I.P
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Re: pet insurance, DS not an option

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

If I remember correctly, I think I listed H as a Belgian Mal or maybe a mix. I had the same problem - no DS on the menu! I would go with a Mal, if they have it, since technically it's in the DNA. If they don't have that then a mix. It's not technically lying if the breed isn't on the drop down menu, you're just choosing the closest thing.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Mobil
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Post by Mobil »

Petplan has DS as an option (U.S., though), but I just insured mine as mixed breed large, which, BTW, is a difference of $10 per month in premium.

If you don't have papers or docs stating he's a DS, just go with mixed breed, IMO.
Dusty,

Mobil & Turbo (4/14, probably DS)

Neeraj
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Morning, I'm from India. I currently don't have a dog, but thinking of having a DS.

Post by Neeraj »

Then Mix is the safest choice here. GBWhatsApp APK