7 weeks too early?

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
utahbiker
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have a 5 month old fawn male DS named Kaboose! He's my trail dog and cuddle buddy.

7 weeks too early?

Post by utahbiker »

Hey everyone! This is my first post, so apologies if I missed a rule or two.

I'm looking at getting a dutch shepherd as I've wanted one for years and as luck has it, there is a first time breeder near me that has some puppies that are 6 and 1/2 weeks old. Most of the puppies have already been sold and picked up, as the breeder started allowing the pups to go at 6 weeks. If I picked one up at 7 weeks, would that be too early? I know the standard is 8 weeks for a lot of reasons (bite play, fundamentals, etc..) but with all/most of puppies gone, I'm worried I'm going to miss my chance.

Even if I reserved one and had him stay with the breeder until 8 weeks, I imagine he'll be a lone pup for the final week or more, since there is only 2 of the 8 left and we're only 6.5 weeks in.

So, putting aside the responsibility of the breeder (yeah, they probably should have not let them go before 8 weeks), and just taking into account the puppy might be the only puppy left at 7 weeks, should I let him stay with mom, or pick him up?
Kaboose aka Nightmare
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: 7 weeks too early?

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I think it is early, but others may chime in.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

Don't even consider buying it. A first time breeder that lets the pups go at 6 weeks is asking for a world of trouble - have they don't health testing? What was the purpose of the breeding? Did they do any exposure work while the pups were young? Did they get all the deworming and shots? Did they even know to do that? Honestly there's very few breeders who will let pups be picked up that early unless by experienced handlers they know. I would pass over this breeding and keep looking. Don't be pressured into it. This screams trouble.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
utahbiker
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have a 5 month old fawn male DS named Kaboose! He's my trail dog and cuddle buddy.

Post by utahbiker »

Thanks for the input, everyone! I was hoping to avoid the conversation around the quality of the breeder, but your concerns are valid.

They have done health testing, have ancestry available, and done the deworming/shots that are appropriate at this age. There has been some exposure work, but to what extent, I'm not sure. I can't say the purpose of breeding, but the mother and father come from a loving family and although the breeding conditions may not be on par with the highest quality DS breeders out there, I would consider it good.

I guess my primary question is the development between weeks 7 and 8. If picked up a week earlier than normal, what things might a pup miss out on that either I would need to compensate for or lose?
Kaboose aka Nightmare
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

It's more of a concern that they let pups go at 6 weeks. If it's the only pup you're missing out on a lot of important social development you cannot recreate. Even if it has siblings for 6 and a half weeks that's still not enough time and you've missed the boat on things that should be taught/learned at young age by siblings. Personally, I've found pups removed from siblings and mom too early are nerve bags unless genetically they're bomb proof. There's just a lot of development going on 6-8 weeks that should not be missed, lone pup or not. Again, I would skip this breeding.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Owned-By-Hendrix wrote:. Personally, I've found pups removed from siblings and mom too early are nerve bags unless genetically they're bomb proof. There's just a lot of development going on 6-8 weeks that should not be missed, lone pup or not. Again, I would skip this breeding.
I have living proof. Sadie didnt have hardly any anything as a pup since she was in horrible conditions. Thalie has taught her some but there is a huge difference between a dog that has had a proper puppy hood and one that has not. Sadie is the nerve bag that Kira speaks of. She is a great dog but she would have been returned many times if the people getting her did not have the DS knowledge that I have.

SHe is a great dog, but again, if I didnt have the training with this breed that I did, I would not know how to handle this dog. I second to pass and find another one.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage