Greetings from South Jersey!
Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:54 pm
Hey everybody!
Last week I happened upon the most chance encounter and added Cairo, an eight week Dutch Shepherd/Malinois mix to the house. He's the sweetest and most playful little guy. His first appointment with the vet was this week and short of X-rays which are yet to be done, he's as healthy as they come.
A little bit about me, I served in the Army for five years and my last deployment was as a TEDD (Tactical Explosive Detection Dog) handler, my partner was Amigo a DS with amazing drive who I owe my life to. Needless to say I have grown a profound respect and love for the breed. I have very little (none) experience with puppys, so I will certainly be scouring the forums for all information and picking the brains of you fine folks during this journey.
Cairo does not come from a professional breeder and the litter was not planned, so I do not expect sport or anything short of being a functioning member of the household. However I do desire him to have excellent obedience. So far the focus at home has been crate training, which he has taken a remarkable love to after two nights, bite inhibition (which is extremely important considering I have a toddler who loves to chase and run from the pup) and sit and down. I have relied on on food drive and praise as reward as his ball drive doesn't seem very high. I assume that is normal at his age, please correct me if I am wrong. I plan on being a long time member of the forum and look very forward in sending a gratuitous amount of pictures.
Feel free to send me a private message if you want to talk dogs, bourbon, or up coming events.
Last week I happened upon the most chance encounter and added Cairo, an eight week Dutch Shepherd/Malinois mix to the house. He's the sweetest and most playful little guy. His first appointment with the vet was this week and short of X-rays which are yet to be done, he's as healthy as they come.
A little bit about me, I served in the Army for five years and my last deployment was as a TEDD (Tactical Explosive Detection Dog) handler, my partner was Amigo a DS with amazing drive who I owe my life to. Needless to say I have grown a profound respect and love for the breed. I have very little (none) experience with puppys, so I will certainly be scouring the forums for all information and picking the brains of you fine folks during this journey.
Cairo does not come from a professional breeder and the litter was not planned, so I do not expect sport or anything short of being a functioning member of the household. However I do desire him to have excellent obedience. So far the focus at home has been crate training, which he has taken a remarkable love to after two nights, bite inhibition (which is extremely important considering I have a toddler who loves to chase and run from the pup) and sit and down. I have relied on on food drive and praise as reward as his ball drive doesn't seem very high. I assume that is normal at his age, please correct me if I am wrong. I plan on being a long time member of the forum and look very forward in sending a gratuitous amount of pictures.
Feel free to send me a private message if you want to talk dogs, bourbon, or up coming events.