Bringing home a Dutch shepherd puppy

For our new members to introduce themselves
Babydog123
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I'm in the process of getting a Dutch shepherd puppy and I currently own two gsds

Bringing home a Dutch shepherd puppy

Post by Babydog123 »

Can anyone tell me what I should expect when I get my dutch shepherd puppy!? I've had two German shepherds since pups and what I've found is they are pretty mouthy aso puppies.
Or if anyone can share personally story's so I can kinda get an idea of what I've just gotten myself into :shock:
Alyssa R, Violet, Vex and puppy*on the way*
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Bringing home a Dutch shepherd puppy

Post by centrop67 »

Welcome to the forum.

I know it's a little effort on your part, but there's lots of personal stories posted on the forum already, and the search works pretty good.

Can you tell us a little more? Why did you choose a DS? Where are you getting the puppy from?

I am sure some other members will chime in with stories and some heads up on the experience.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

What should you expect????????? You should have your liquor closet stocked !!! If you dont drink you better start. HA, Im sort of kidding.

Yes, I will second doing a search, there are already TONS of stories and info here about DS pups.

WELCOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Babydog123
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I'm in the process of getting a Dutch shepherd puppy and I currently own two gsds

Post by Babydog123 »

:lol: I'm getting a Dutch from emerald wold k9. We decided to get one mainly because I was looking for a new puppy to start training for competition. All the pros just added up so I decided to make a deposit on one!

I've met dutchies that are older and theyre great dogs, I'm just wanting to know what to expect(Ill look into it more)
I'm only a junior handler so everytime I tell people I'm getting one, they give me that look like I should be very very scared-_-

So @dutchringgirl I cant drink but I'll be getting the sparkling apple cinder and mixing kiddie cocktails :lol: drinking kid style
Last edited by Babydog123 on Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Hopefully, Emerald World K9 has matched your needs with the right puppy. You've seen the post on researching a breeder, right?

What kind of competition are you preparing for?

Every dog's going to be a little different, but of course there are some traits that will seem consistent for a specific breed.

In general, a DS is wicked smart and eager to learn, but also wicked smart and will figure things out on their own if you let them. That's NOT what you want to have happen.

Another generalization is that they become attached to a single person.

Crate training is probably a must, and marker (AKA click) training is a good way to start. As a junior trainer, I would assume you have guidance in all these things.

Good luck and keep us posted - especially with pictures when your new puppy arrives.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I wrote a reply but it didnt show up :(

Make sure you have a crate and the pup should be on a leash and attached to you at all times while out of the crate, so you can keep him from destroying the house. :eek:

Do you know how to potty train?

Will you be with the pup all day or most of the day?

Since you cant drink, we will have to find you something else :mrgreen:
ImageImage
MultiPurposeK9
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Multipurpose trainer

Post by MultiPurposeK9 »

Actually its Emerald Wolf K9 and those are KNPV lines, is it the Havoc litter? You are a junior handler? Confirmation? We need to know a little more. Competition? Obedience, Flyball, Rally, Ring. People are looking at you for a reason. Havoc was a very serious dog and am quite sure he will pass this on. SERIOUS in the world of KNPV Dutch Shepherds is very different from SERIOUS Labrador Retrievers, Border Collies and the like. The hard wiring is very different, Chase it, Catch it, Kill it takes on a whole knew meaning. Literally.
Roger
Consistency + Repetition = Predictability
Babydog123
Just Whelped

Post by Babydog123 »

For puppy I'm gonna try and focus on ring sports, with also the plan to compete in obedience, agility and I'm gonna think about dock diving. They will pick the puppy for me and my thought is that they will choose one that's gonna fit what I'm looking for. I also have a tonnnn of people that I can look to for help and I am near tons of training places so socialization won't be a problem. I currently have a young dog that I compete in agility with and I've done obedience and foundation bite work with him. He's a typical working line gsd that hits hard and drives through with a bangg. He's also got a killer nose for scent detection 8-)
@dutchringgirl I have a kennel and we've potty trained many dogs before this pup(: I'll be with puppy during most of the day and during the summer he'll come to my work (grooming shop

**I just realized that my phone corrected wolf into wold, opps**
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Cool!!! I did Ring Sport, its a blast. I also did agility with Thalie, now that was crazy, she was so fast I could not keep up with her. It sounds like you are on a good path with the pup and will be just fine.

If you would please make a signature for yourself as well

Thanks
ImageImage
Alyssarorvick
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I'm 15 and own a spunky 5 month old dutchie(:

Post by Alyssarorvick »

Not sure if anyone is going to see this, because I posted forever ago. I am no an adult woman and would like to come forward and say that my “lovely” puppy turned out to be violently handler aggressive. Emerald wolf should have never bred havoc. Tyson went back to the breeder and was placed as a green police dog ( I question how they can claim that when he was trained by a literal 15 year old) overall, pretty unhappy with my experience but I did become a better handler out of it! I now have border collies and am enjoying not wanting to rip my hair out 🙏🏼
Alyssa and Tyson. 6 month old knpv dutch
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Hi! Was Havoc the dog that was bred by Vandalia in WV?
It's really nice to hear people check back in work stores like this. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you but I'm really happy you became a better handle out it!
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor