What can I expect of my Dutch Shepherd Mix?
Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:53 pm
My puppy will be 8 weeks on Sunday. Got him on Monday for my son who's on vacation right now. He is a Dutch Shepherd/APB mix. I got the dog without doing a lot of research on the DS side of things. I have see many pits which are either super sweet or mean depending.
So far what I noticed. I picked him because he seemed like the only calm dog in the mad house of random breed dogs I got him from. The other pup was wrestling and fighting the whole time. Mom DS has law enforcement training( at least what guy says) but was super friendly. Dad wasn't there, out of state.
Ok. Puppy has lived outside his whole life but has had two accidents since I had him. One from being in the crate too long and the other he pooped next to the chihuahua which never completely house trained despite all types of methods. Outside of that he's used the bathroom outside all the time. Seems impossible but he seems house trained. He whines to go out already for bathroom or just to play.
He hasn't bitten/nipped me but he does lick my face if I let him sit in my lap sometimes. But he bites/taste literally everything he can get his mouth on. He's curious about everything without fear even lawnmowers and weed wackers.
Do DS go through personality changes more so than other dogs? I know little about the breed except one federal K9 where I worked had one.
So far what I noticed. I picked him because he seemed like the only calm dog in the mad house of random breed dogs I got him from. The other pup was wrestling and fighting the whole time. Mom DS has law enforcement training( at least what guy says) but was super friendly. Dad wasn't there, out of state.
Ok. Puppy has lived outside his whole life but has had two accidents since I had him. One from being in the crate too long and the other he pooped next to the chihuahua which never completely house trained despite all types of methods. Outside of that he's used the bathroom outside all the time. Seems impossible but he seems house trained. He whines to go out already for bathroom or just to play.
He hasn't bitten/nipped me but he does lick my face if I let him sit in my lap sometimes. But he bites/taste literally everything he can get his mouth on. He's curious about everything without fear even lawnmowers and weed wackers.
Do DS go through personality changes more so than other dogs? I know little about the breed except one federal K9 where I worked had one.