New Member, Introduce myself

For our new members to introduce themselves
gijs
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Hi,
Our family consists of my wife, two children (girl almost 7, boy 4.5), two cats, 4 chickens and me. My wife had dogs most of her life, but for me this is my first dog. Kiki is a female Dutchie that we got from a breeder that breeds DS for families. As in, slightly lower drive and slightly more tolerant around kids. We requested the puppy from the litter that was available with the lowest drive and the friendliest demeanor.

We only let Kiki near the children under strict supervision and have the help of a dog trainer who is specialized in working dogs and has had DS dogs himself for many years and is currently the owner of a DS that he competes with in several disciplines.

I'm sure we'll have many challenges and joining this forum is surely a wealth of helpful information and guidance.

New Member, Introduce myself

Post by gijs »

Dear all,
I'm exited about being on the forum and ready to learn from all the more experienced DS owners on here! We added our DS puppy Kiki to our family 2.5 weeks ago and are working hard to integrate her in our lives in a positive and productive manner.
Thanks,
Gijs
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Re: New Member, Introduce myself

Post by ladyjubilee »

Welcome.

What drew you to Kiki?
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Dogammit
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Have land and kids. Looking for a dog that would be good with kids, on hikes, trails, and on our property as a guard dog.

Post by Dogammit »

We are a family of 9 in Utah. Mom, myself, 4 little boys, 1 girl a female caucasian and a pug. We have land, go hiking, trail riding, boating, and hang out in the country where we live. Our female is almost 11 and we want her to spend time with the new pup. We were looking at the GSD, and DS because we are active. Our oldest boys will be in their teens in the next few years and enjoy the outdoors. Our youngest is just turning 4. We were thinking of a dog that could keep up a little better than our caucasian. For anyone not familiar with the caucasian breed the are 120+ lbs. Any input as far as the DS being a suitable breed for us would be appreciated.
gijs
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Hi,
Our family consists of my wife, two children (girl almost 7, boy 4.5), two cats, 4 chickens and me. My wife had dogs most of her life, but for me this is my first dog. Kiki is a female Dutchie that we got from a breeder that breeds DS for families. As in, slightly lower drive and slightly more tolerant around kids. We requested the puppy from the litter that was available with the lowest drive and the friendliest demeanor.

We only let Kiki near the children under strict supervision and have the help of a dog trainer who is specialized in working dogs and has had DS dogs himself for many years and is currently the owner of a DS that he competes with in several disciplines.

I'm sure we'll have many challenges and joining this forum is surely a wealth of helpful information and guidance.

Post by gijs »

Hi @ladyjulilee,
Kiki was the calmest of the litter and we were looking for all the health and strength that comes with the DS, but a somewhat lower drive. We're not planning on doing any bite-work, but lots of running around, nose work (fun for the kids) and agility to keep her occupied.
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

My neighbor had 4 Caucasions he brought with him when he emigrated from Russia. On was a behemoth male. He did warn us that if we ever encountered the male outside the very well reinforced fence, to go in the house, call 911 and have the police shoot the dog. That really left an impression about the breed. But they are gorgeous dogs.

But that's pretty much the extent of my knowledge.

I forgot to give my DS input. For all Caucasians have that innate agression/protectiveness, my understanding is they are generally pretty calm overall. My Bramble has more 24/7 energy than the neighbors' dogs had. Even now that Bramble has matured and calmed, she can go from playing fetch/catch with me, to trampolining with my son, to chasing squirrels, digging for voles, playing with Casper until Casper is pooped, running with the neighbor's dog....and STILL have energy to spare. With Bramble that means her attention demands are pretty high. Not in terms where my neighbor had to walk his big dog 3 times a day rain sleet or snow, but in terms of always being on one of us seeking play.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs