Pups and Rescue

dutchringdog
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a single mom with two great children and a lovely DS

Re: Pups and Rescue

Post by dutchringdog »

Good point Judith, The girls usually go with me everywhere, but something could happen where we get separated, Ill talk to my vet.
Lisa , Thalie, Sadie
http://www.designsbyclyne.com
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

vneerland wrote:
Marjolein wrote:First the dog could not be identified without the tattoo overseas, now it can.
I do not know where you got that info. :?
From GSD breeders, apparantly they were not put in the breeds database (uhm, stamboek??) without the tattoo. I just know all dogs exported to the USA had to be chipped AND tattooed, the other just got chipped? :huh:
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

Marjolein wrote:From GSD breeders, apparantly they were not put in the breeds database (uhm, stamboek??) without the tattoo. I just know all dogs exported to the USA had to be chipped AND tattooed, the other just got chipped? :huh:
If that was true, that might have been an AKC thing (and the DS's are not AKC...YAY!!) but it is not a requirement for customs (douane) airline or anything like that. ;)
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

vneerland wrote:
Marjolein wrote:From GSD breeders, apparantly they were not put in the breeds database (uhm, stamboek??) without the tattoo. I just know all dogs exported to the USA had to be chipped AND tattooed, the other just got chipped? :huh:
If that was true, that might have been an AKC thing (and the DS's are not AKC...YAY!!) but it is not a requirement for customs (douane) airline or anything like that. ;)

Yup, I was only referring to the FCI/AKC registration, a "mix" can be exported without, no problem ;)
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

Marjolein wrote:Yup, I was only referring to the FCI/AKC registration, a "mix" can be exported without, no problem ;)
I do not import mixes. :ds: Just Dutch shepherds (and malinois) and the DS's are not AKC. That does, however, not make them a mix. :bum: (want to start a pure bred discussion, don't you?) :dsrazz:
Marjolein
Working Dog

Post by Marjolein »

vneerland wrote:want to start a pure bred discussion, don't you? :dsrazz:
again...?pffffff :yernuts: :dssmile:
Bedlam
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Was member on DS list several years ago. Have had DS over 18 yrs. Retired K-9 officer. Still have 2 DS, one son of last work dog (Kimba) and one rescue from a police program. Also a Greyhd/pitt mix. Considering future home for a female rescue DS--waiting due to health issues. Have friend fostering rescued DS from HS here--no prospects--problem dog. Nothing like a Dutch. Sharon

Post by Bedlam »

Hi All: Finally back on line---so good to see so many old familiar names. On microchips---as anal retentive as I am about our dogs, I have never microchipped. Was advised some are only for the county they live in, some just the state, etc. Can anyone advise which is nationwide? I assume it would be renewable yearly for a fee? It's been about 12 years since we had pups, but we will be looking for a female (rescue probably) in the next year or two. Got health issues to complete. Again, great to see those names. Sharon
Sharon - Beasts of Bedlam
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

Bedlam wrote:Hi All: Finally back on line---so good to see so many old familiar names. On microchips---as anal retentive as I am about our dogs, I have never microchipped. Was advised some are only for the county they live in, some just the state, etc. Can anyone advise which is nationwide? I assume it would be renewable yearly for a fee? It's been about 12 years since we had pups, but we will be looking for a female (rescue probably) in the next year or two. Got health issues to complete. Again, great to see those names. Sharon
SHARON!!!!!

So amazing to see you on here!! I think of you all of the time!
Speaking of rescue - Cooper (now Copey) lives with one of my dearest friends in North Carolina. I get daily updates. Her hubby was deployed and Cope was his saving grace when he got home, helping with some PTSD. They love him very, very much!

Per microchips, most are Universal now. Avid makes and International Chip, but I think they are all moving to the same technology! Certainly, within the states, they all can be read by almost all of the scanners, and if the number can't come up, the scanner will tell you what type of chip it is so you can re-scan.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

Bedlam wrote:Hi All: Finally back on line---so good to see so many old familiar names. On microchips---as anal retentive as I am about our dogs, I have never microchipped. Was advised some are only for the county they live in, some just the state, etc. Can anyone advise which is nationwide? I assume it would be renewable yearly for a fee? It's been about 12 years since we had pups, but we will be looking for a female (rescue probably) in the next year or two. Got health issues to complete. Again, great to see those names. Sharon

Well dang! Sharon!! Where have you been, girl? 8-) Welcome back in the wonderful world of DS's.
Do us a favor. You're an old hand :D but we have many new faces around here. Would you mind posting a little intro and creating a signature in the new member section for those who have not had the pleasure yet? And tell us oldies where you have been, and what has been going on in your life? ;)

As for chips. I use Avid (Euro) mirochips, 10 digit, but the brands are starting to become more universal like Christie said. No need to register (more than once) unless you move.
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

Well, Bedlambeasts9, where in the heck have you been lady?!!? Thought you dropped off the face of the earth. Seriously, great to have you back, Sharon. Lots of DS folks on here these days, far and wide across the spectrum. Glad you're back! :wtg:

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
Bedlam
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Was member on DS list several years ago. Have had DS over 18 yrs. Retired K-9 officer. Still have 2 DS, one son of last work dog (Kimba) and one rescue from a police program. Also a Greyhd/pitt mix. Considering future home for a female rescue DS--waiting due to health issues. Have friend fostering rescued DS from HS here--no prospects--problem dog. Nothing like a Dutch. Sharon

Post by Bedlam »

Hi All: Was perusing Judith's history of the breed---never tired of that! Noticed there was an auburn DS at one time, now thought to be extinct. Then I looked at Toby-Tarzan, our rescue from southern TX. He has got to be what is an auburn Dutch! Called a friend to come over this week, take a pix or two and post. It would take me too long to figure out, and the friend does a great job. Many have chastized me for neutering him since he is so very striking, but with his mental problems---whether some is born in or it's all people damage---it just wasn't going to happen to breed a rescue. One woman said there was something wrong with me to NOT breed him and "get some money out of him". He's gonna be a limited edition, and that's fine with us. One day, I'll contact the TX kennel owner---don't know if he bred, or bought from a breeder down there. Maybe there are more red ones like him. Has anyone else seen any of these? I've tried to wean Tarzan off his "crazy pills" several times, but he hasn't done so well. They are very inexpensive, so that isn't the issue, but it makes us think some problems might not be from the abuse, but inherited. He's family (is that a failed foster? Haha!), so it doesn't really matter. Thanks to all for the microchip info!
Sharon - Beasts of Bedlam
surfinfortreasure
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have 6 dogs, several are rescues from DSR. Latest rescue is Alex from the animal cruelty case in King George. Other dogs include Twizler DS, Riley DS Mix, Zooomer DS Mix, Alex DS, Sassy GSD, Brooke Malinois.

Post by surfinfortreasure »

Hi Sharon, long time no hear from. Does this mean you will post pictures of Tarzan soon. Would love to see!! Miss you, val
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

Bring on the pictures Sharon!! 8-) I'd love to see the auburn DS. (we won't tell anyone that he is a total nut job :mrgreen:
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

Is Toby the rescue that you mailed photos to me of a while back? He was striking!

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana