Hello From Kentucky

For our new members to introduce themselves
kupo
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Adoped a 10 month old DS that proved to much work for previous owner, First DS we have owned. Live on a small farm 41 acres in Kentucky. He is a lot of work but he is a fun dog to be with.

Hello From Kentucky

Post by kupo »

We just adopted a 10 month old DS from the animal shelter. He was too much work for his original owner we assume.

He sat at the shelter for 2 months, they were very particular about who they would let adopt him. His time was running out. I don't have Facebook but someone sent me his info. It was love/trepidation at first sight. My best friend was a dog handler in the SEAL teams with a Mal and also had a Dutch before he retired. He warned me :-) what I was getting into. He lives 10 miles away from us know. We are fortunate enough to live on 100 acres of soybean and hay fields. A big pond and a few creeks. Lots of wildlife

We have had him for a little over a month. Working with a trainer that has several Mal's and DS's.

He is very high energy, runs all day , plays, digs moles , chases cows and then crashes on the couch and sleeps all night. We are trying to train him to "leave it" when it comes to our cat. So far he's doing OK, the cat is the one causing the problems which makes him want to chase (any advise on this subject is welcome)

A week after we adopted him my wife received a very serious cancer diagnosis. We struggled on how much stress he could be , she has insisted he stays and will be a comfort to both of us as we fight this battle.

Neither my wife or I have "jobs" to go to , rather we can do most everything from home and when I do have to in he can go with me.

He seems to have some separation anxiety. I've left him in my truck for 5-10 minutes with it running while I pick something up and he barks and paces the back seat. Assuming this will get better when he realizes I alway come back.

Anyway, been a lurker on this site since we got him so I figured I should join so I can ask the experts questions. We know he will be lots of work but we already know he will be worth it.