Page 1 of 2

Hello!

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:14 pm
by Flying Dutchman
My name is Heather and we had been thinking of getting a DS for awhile after we lost our crazy, high-drive black Lab last year to cancer. We have two friends who both have Dutchies and several who have Malinois and had long admired their drive, intelligence and athleticism. But our remaining dogs are both older (each about 11) and aren't the greatest with other dogs, so we figured that a DS was way down the road.

Well, I often say that dogs have a way of finding you when you least expect it and that is definitely what happened with Kū. About four months ago a friend of ours told us about a Dutch that needed a home as he was in a bad situation. Long story short...we took a chance and rescued him and we couldn't have asked for a better situation. He is great with our other dogs and is buddies with Alex who is completely blind (and definitely a cranky pants) and is super gentle with him. Kū was mostly confined by his previous owners and got little to no exercise (and practically zero training) so you can imagine what he was like when we got him. We've been working very hard to give him an outlet for his energy and desire to work and since I have been involved with DockDogs for several years we decided to give that a shot.

So in less than 3 months Kū has gone from not being able to really swim to dock jumping and he absolutely loves it. He's doing really well and has finally put on some muscle and is looking better due to improved nutrition, etc. He is an absolute blast to have and is full of personality and we can't imagine our lives now without a Dutch.

As with any high-drive intelligent dog, he is a full-time job but it has been so rewarding to watch him thrive and start to come into his own. :D

I'm looking forward to getting to know other people who share their lives with these very special dogs.

Re: Hello!

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:50 pm
by Sugars Mom
What a great story and congrats on your newest addition, and welcome to the forum. I look forward to seeing some great pics of Ku : )

Re: Hello!

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:31 pm
by Schlussdibusti
Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Did we mention WE LOVE PICS!

Re: Hello!

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:21 pm
by icvanstra
Heather,

Welcome to the forum! AND Thank you for rescuing!!!

Re: Hello!

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:44 pm
by Lauren
Welcome Heather and Ku!

What a great story! How nice that he fits in so well. We really really do love pictures...

Re: Hello!

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:48 pm
by Dutchringgirl
Fantastic !!!!!!

Re: Hello!

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:04 pm
by Marjolein
Welcome.
Nice story!

Re: Hello!

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:46 am
by bridgerscrew
HaHa! Can't say I didn't warn you ;-) Love you Ku & Heather to!

Re: Hello!

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:57 am
by cake73
Hi, Heather!

Thanks for giving Kū a great home and for sharing his story with us.

Kū has two photos in the 2012 NADSR calendar vote...

Image

Image

Re: Hello!

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:49 pm
by Marjolein
wow! nice pics!

Re: Hello!

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:41 pm
by GSDNanny
Awesome photos!!! :wtg: :yeah:

Re: Hello!

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:45 pm
by Flying Dutchman
Ah...I figured Bridgerscrew might be on here! Their guy Druid is one of the reasons we fell in love with Dutchies.

Thanks for the welcome and Ku just got back from his longest road trip to date and he did awesome. We went to Vegas for a DockDogs event and while he is still learning the game and isn't all that consistent, he had a great time and was one of the stars of the show. I can't tell you how many people came up to us and asked about him, complimented him, wanted to pet him, etc. It's pretty neat to have a dog like that and he loves every minute of it because he knows he's Hot Stuff.

I love to take pictures so I'll try to share them as much as I can. He's pretty easy on the eyes if I do say so myself so getting good photos isn't too hard. :D

Here are some from this past weekend although the first three were taken by a pro so I can't take credit.

Ku doing Extreme Vertical (EV) which I think is his favorite
Image


Going after the bumper in Speed Retrieve
Image


GOT IT!!
Image


And hanging out in the yard waiting for me to throw the toy. I swear this dog is part Labrador!
Image

Re: Hello!

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:12 am
by alspyce
Looks like such fun!!

Re: Hello!

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:22 am
by Raven
"Flying Dutchman"--I love it. Glad you found each other.

Re: Hello!

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:42 pm
by Sugars Mom
Great pics and dog! Wa-hoo!

Re: Hello!

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:22 pm
by CaroleBoaz
Those are great photos! Dock diving looks like fun.

Re: Hello!

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:53 pm
by vneerland
Welcome Heather and Ku. 8-) How wonderful that the dog and you both seem to have found their perfect match!

Re: Hello!

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:59 pm
by GSDNanny
That looks so doggone fun!! Seriously though. I'd love to watch that competition in person some day. Do you know if there are any training clubs in Louisiana or east Texas? I havent done an online search yet but would be something fun for my dogs to do, and very low impact for me :dsrazz:

How do you start pups out in training?

Re: Hello!

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:44 pm
by Marjolein
GSDNanny wrote: How do you start pups out in training?
Whahaha, I have a picture of that in my mind :dssmile:
One holds the bumper, the other the pup, and try and toss it as close to the bumper as possible :lol: Or would they use a slingshot :roll: :mrgreen: :lol:

Re: Hello!

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:01 am
by kchristy
Awesome pics!