Page 1 of 1

Hi all!

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:02 pm
by alexis
My husband and I adopted Zane, a "gs mix," from a local german shepherd rescue a few months ago. We had no idea what the mix was and then someone at the dog park suggested that he might be a dutch shepherd. He looks like one to us - what do you think?

Image

It seems the img tag isn't working for me, the photo's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/alexisi/6284005191/

He's the easiest, most mellow dog I've ever had (he had a bad case of heart worm when the rescue picked him up, so I think he may be more easily tired out than the average DS) but is very smart and very motivated to hunt! I'm used to standard poodles and their particular brand of craftiness, and he's much more straightforward.

We don't have a job for him other than fetching at the park and walking nicely on his leash. We live in NYC, so many of the typical dog activities (herding, agility) are out. Does anyone who lives in a city with a DS have any suggestions? He gets lots of exercise, so he's good in the apartment, I just want to make sure he has enough to do to keep him happy.

Re: Hi all!

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:03 am
by Dutchringgirl
he is beautiful!!!!

Re: Hi all!

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:23 am
by alexis
Thanks! He's such a love.

I think I figured out the picture issue:
Image

Image

Re: Hi all!

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:42 am
by CaroleBoaz
He really is beautiful!

You would be surprised at how mental work can satisfy a dog. Work on obedience and tricks that you can do in an apartment. I have this book, http://www.amazon.com/101-Dog-Tricks-Ac ... 1592533256, and there is a bunch of stuff that you can do indoors. The book teaches you to shape the behaviors using positive methods. It says 101 tricks, but I think a few of them can be categorized as human tricks.

Re: Hi all!

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:09 am
by alexis
Thanks for the book recommendation - I saw it at the petco near the register and wondered if it was a helpful book - I'll check it out!

He was very slow at learning sit and down at first but has been picking up new things within a few days now that he's getting settled in, so it would be good to have some new tricks to teach him.

Re: Hi all!

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:11 pm
by Sugars Mom
Welcome and what a nice looking dog :) Great pic of the pounce!

Congrats on your rescue!

Re: Hi all!

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:40 pm
by Jan
Welcome.

Re: Hi all!

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:21 am
by Schlussdibusti
Welcome! Nice looking dog and great "action" pic :wtg:
alexis wrote: Does anyone who lives in a city with a DS have any suggestions?
I took Marco to Bloomingdale's. He had a blast. But we didn't understand why nobody wanted to ride with us in the elevator :whistle: :g_wink:

Re: Hi all!

Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:56 pm
by kchristy
Beautiful dog! :)

Re: Hi all!

Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:57 pm
by Marjolein
Welcome :dssmile:
Nice looking dog, I LOVE the ball action pic!!

Re: Hi all!

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:20 pm
by alexis
Thanks all, I can't take credit for the ball pic, that was done by a pro photographer for the rescue (he gave permission for them to give out the photos). He got some really great shots. The dirty kitchen floor, however, is mine.

Re: Hi all!

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:28 pm
by GSDNanny
Welcome, Alexis and Zane. Nice looking boy you got there. Keep the pix coming. Oh and remember you are in the company of real dog folks here so no need to apologize for messes. :dssmile:

Re: Hi all!

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:00 am
by CaroleBoaz
alexis wrote: He got some really great shots. The dirty kitchen floor, however, is mine.
That is a great shot!

As for dirty floors. My favorite photo of my dogs has them sitting on a hair-laden rug in my living room. :)

Re: Hi all!

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:19 am
by kchristy
Its amazing how our dogs always take the best pics when there is a mess in the background. As for your kitchen floor, looks good to me :) I just love to look at pics of dutch shepherds :)