Hello from Virgina Beach

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
Mbach
Just Whelped
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:14 am
Tell us about yourself: East coast navy guy, owner of Dolly a 1 year old fawn Dutch.

Hello from Virgina Beach

Post by Mbach »

Hello everyone, I recently found this forum while doing a little research about our 1 year old DS named Dolly. She's got quite the personality and although she's been a challenge, we're really happy to have her. She isn't colored or "brindled" I should say like most of the Dutches I see on here, but the breeder said she's a "fawn". Either way she's a pretty awesome looking dog. I look forward to reading more about this breed on the forum and learning what I can.

Thanks,
Matt
311624_210211282374390_100001565594486_576106_2125795399_n.jpg
311624_210211282374390_100001565594486_576106_2125795399_n.jpg (56.76 KiB) Viewed 3637 times
Matt - VA Beach
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Hello from Virgina Beach

Post by leih merigian »

Welcome, Matt and Dolly!

What kinds of plans do you have for her?

Nice pic!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Mbach
Just Whelped
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:14 am
Tell us about yourself: East coast navy guy, owner of Dolly a 1 year old fawn Dutch.

Re: Hello from Virgina Beach

Post by Mbach »

Well, we invested in some really good training for her with a local trainer, so she has all the basics down. I really want to find something to give her more engagement. I run with her on occasion and walk her as often as possible, but I feel she needs some more. She REALLY enjoys chasing a red laser around! It's fun to watch.

So in short, she needs a hobby that's flexible enough and doesn't require too much space.
Matt - VA Beach
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: Hello from Virgina Beach

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Welcome :wave:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Hello from Virgina Beach

Post by Sugars Mom »

Welcome! It would be nice to see some more pics of Dolly, as your right, mostly brindle beast pics here.
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Hello from Virgina Beach

Post by leih merigian »

Mbach wrote:Well, we invested in some really good training for her with a local trainer, so she has all the basics down. I really want to find something to give her more engagement. I run with her on occasion and walk her as often as possible, but I feel she needs some more. She REALLY enjoys chasing a red laser around! It's fun to watch.

So in short, she needs a hobby that's flexible enough and doesn't require too much space.

Well, Matt, it seems to me that she would benefit from a lot more interaction from you. Take some classes with her. It doesn't matter what they are for...tricks classes, Rally obedience, freestyle obedience, K9 Nosework, etc. The content doesn't matter that much, as long as it interests you so you'll do your homework with Dolly. But, an occasional run and walks when you can manage to fit it into your schedule really isn't enough to mentally stimulate a DS, or any smart dog, for that matter.

You can do all kinds of training in your home; it doesn't take much space at all. And, I'd rather you get her fetching toys than chasing laser lights. DSs are prone to OCD kinds of behaviors, and chasing lights (lasers, flashlight beams, etc.) isn't a great thing to encourage, IMO.

Teach her to "find it," which is a great game you can play inside. Have her find a toy, then reward with tug or food when she finds it and brings it back to you. ETc etc etc.
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:52 am
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.
Contact:

Re: Hello from Virgina Beach

Post by CaroleBoaz »

I agree to stopping the laser pointer games. That's just going to bite you in the butt someday.

A low cost activity, that can be done anywhere, that dogs really love, is tracking! Here is a tracking club in your area. http://www.ttcva.org./index.html

Here is an AKC club in your area where you can learn more about Ob, Rally, and Agility. http://www.hrotc.org/
The nice thing about joining a club is that, after the initial requirements, you can become a member and enjoy member benefits.

I belong to a club in my area. Normally classes are $90, as a member I pay $25, I have a key to the building so I can use the agility equipment anytime there isn't an event going on. Plus, we get discounts on dog merchandise and dog food through an enterprising member.

If you like to train on your own, I always recommend this book for people looking for suggestions.

http://www.amazon.com/101-Dog-Tricks-Ac ... 992&sr=1-1
User avatar
kchristy
Training Dog
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:07 pm
Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)
Location: McCurtain, Ok

Re: Hello from Virgina Beach

Post by kchristy »

Wow, she is beautiful :) Welcome
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Hello from Virgina Beach

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Welcome, what a beautiful girl!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: Hello from Virgina Beach

Post by Raven »

Welcome.

By all means, stay away from the laser light. The associations that they can get developed just from that stupid little pin of light is mind-boggling--and one big pain in the a** to counter-condition.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Hello from Virgina Beach

Post by Marjolein »

Welcome :)
Image
Mbach
Just Whelped
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:14 am
Tell us about yourself: East coast navy guy, owner of Dolly a 1 year old fawn Dutch.

Re: Hello from Virgina Beach

Post by Mbach »

Thanks everyone for the advice. I was totally un-aware of the issues associated with the laser. She likes the ball, but I find she loses interest in it pretty fast, so she mainly chases shadows and the laser when we get it out.

I'll check into those suggestions and see what we can get into here locally. We've been wanting to try something of that nature.

We've tried hiding treats around the house and stuff, but haven't really got her to catch on to the game well yet.

Any suggestions?
Matt - VA Beach
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: Hello from Virgina Beach

Post by Christie M »

Searching can be an inherent behavior, or a taught one. When we formally start detection dogs, many times we will tie them (or have someone hold them) while we tease with food or a toy and pretend to hide it in a variety of locations within eyesight of the dog. Hiding it in one, but pretending for a few before and after. Then, when the dog is thoroughly frustrated, we release them (either by dropping the leash or having the handler follow quickly behind) while the dog checks all of the areas that they saw you pretend to hide in. BIG PLAY occurs when they find it. Once this is very established, you can use the same location, but tease with the toy/food and duck out or behind a door - hiding the object while out of sight and then allowing entry. Hopefully they will go into a familiar search pattern based on the repetitions that they saw you do.

From there, the game has lots of ways of evolving. But once they believe that you can disappear with a toy and they can find it if they trust you - the sky is the limit. My advise is work your hides from easy to hard. And don't interfere unless you really have to. This is a great independent working exercise that can build confidence a ton and engage the brain!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: Hello from Virgina Beach

Post by vneerland »

Welcome Matt, Where did your pup come from? 8-)

I have used a laser light to direct a very prey driven dog, and taught some other very usefull interaction tricks with it. I love it, and have no negative fall out from it. But, with that being said, I train dogs for a living, and might be more equipped to recognize and address problem area's right away. I did want to say though, that laser light is not just pure evil, but caution is advised, yes.
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
User avatar
Jan
Training Dog
Posts: 405
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:58 pm
Tell us about yourself: I like Dutch Shepherddogs, especially the roughcoat. At the moment we have three dogs, two DS (one female who is 10 years and one male who is six months) and one male Laekenois at the age of three. We live in the north of The Netherlands.
Location: Zoutkamp, NL

Re: Hello from Virgina Beach

Post by Jan »

Welcome. :dswink"
Image
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: Hello from Virgina Beach

Post by Christie M »

vneerland wrote:Welcome Matt, Where did your pup come from? 8-)

I have used a laser light to direct a very prey driven dog, and taught some other very usefull interaction tricks with it. I love it, and have no negative fall out from it. But, with that being said, I train dogs for a living, and might be more equipped to recognize and address problem area's right away. I did want to say though, that laser light is not just pure evil, but caution is advised, yes.
I used it for a Service dog that I trained. The lab (Iknow...I know) would retrieve whatever we pointed the laser at (obviously this was taught). This turned into the back patient being able to shop for herself for the first time in years. She would point to items on the shelf and the lab would hand it to her to put in the cart. It was very cool. OK, the milk carton incident wasn't......
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Mbach
Just Whelped
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:14 am
Tell us about yourself: East coast navy guy, owner of Dolly a 1 year old fawn Dutch.

Re: Hello from Virgina Beach

Post by Mbach »

We picked her up from a breeder of of WV, "Ultimate Working Dogs.com".

Thanks for the tips on the scent work. Im going to give that a try and see how she does.
Matt - VA Beach
User avatar
kchristy
Training Dog
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:07 pm
Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)
Location: McCurtain, Ok

Re: Hello from Virgina Beach

Post by kchristy »

Christie M wrote: I used it for a Service dog that I trained. The lab (Iknow...I know) would retrieve whatever we pointed the laser at (obviously this was taught). This turned into the back patient being able to shop for herself for the first time in years. She would point to items on the shelf and the lab would hand it to her to put in the cart. It was very cool. OK, the milk carton incident wasn't......
Awesome!
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin
Post Reply