Nibble
- felixone123
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1076
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
- Location: Fishkill, NY
Nibble
ok, so I am discovering new things about Odin every day and he likes to nibble - on your hands, ankles, forearms......He does this in the most gentle way ever!! It's such a soft nibble that you would almost let him just do it, but he is quickly learning "no bite". He is also very gentle when he is hand fed by us. So, once he gets his basic training down, he will be ready for more advanced things.
He also makes verbal noises when sleeping - how cute is that!! Actually, my girl is just as vocal when sleeping too. It's hysterical.
Reactive to cats more so when he is crated and they come out for a peek at him. Starts barking at them. When not in crate he is always on a leash and then much better about the cats. I have a mama cat (about 19) and she never backs down to anything, so Odin on leash sees her and very calmly puts his snout down to smell her and WHAM!!! mama smacks him right on the nose, followed by a big hiss. He was dazed, and then just turned away. No more messing with that mama, he said. The others are too scared yet to hold their ground with him.
He is very affectionate and likes to cuddle. Also his fur is so soft, silky and plush. I love it, because Dakota is not affectionate like that and her hair is wiry. No cuddling with Dakota.
He also makes verbal noises when sleeping - how cute is that!! Actually, my girl is just as vocal when sleeping too. It's hysterical.
Reactive to cats more so when he is crated and they come out for a peek at him. Starts barking at them. When not in crate he is always on a leash and then much better about the cats. I have a mama cat (about 19) and she never backs down to anything, so Odin on leash sees her and very calmly puts his snout down to smell her and WHAM!!! mama smacks him right on the nose, followed by a big hiss. He was dazed, and then just turned away. No more messing with that mama, he said. The others are too scared yet to hold their ground with him.
He is very affectionate and likes to cuddle. Also his fur is so soft, silky and plush. I love it, because Dakota is not affectionate like that and her hair is wiry. No cuddling with Dakota.
Barbara, Odin & Kai
-
CaroleBoaz
- Training Dog
- Posts: 592
- Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:52 am
- Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.
- Contact:
Re: Nibble
Aww.
I find it sad when cats don't appreciate the old butt sniff. Balto has had his face slapped a couple times trying that.
I find it sad when cats don't appreciate the old butt sniff. Balto has had his face slapped a couple times trying that.
-
Raven
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1608
- Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
- Tell us about yourself: .
Re: Nibble
The nibbling of which you speak...is it nibble-grooming? Kind of sounds like it.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
-
alexis
- Green Dog
- Posts: 180
- Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:42 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Live in NYC with Zane
Re: Nibble
Raven - can you tell us more about nibble grooming? Is that the dog removing your fleas for you? Zane sometimes starts up with a sweet-seeming nibble but it can turn chompy all of a sudden, so we don't let him do that.
alexis & zane in NYC
-
CaroleBoaz
- Training Dog
- Posts: 592
- Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:52 am
- Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.
- Contact:
Re: Nibble
My Laekenois used to nibble at my arms when he was younger. He stopped and moved on to the baseboard. Then he stopped completely once I covered the baseboard area with a piece of cardboard. I never knew what that was about.
-
Raven
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1608
- Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
- Tell us about yourself: .
Re: Nibble
Nibble-grooming is gently done with the front teeth, no aggression. For grooming or to show affection. As for pups or young dogs--I don't know.
I only had one nibble-groomer, my last rescued DS. Once she didn't want to rip my face off and learned to trust me, she started to nibble-groom me. She would do it with softer toys, too, but only if I was holding them (an extension of my hand).
Thor's only nibble-groomed a couple times. Guess he's not much of a "pillow talk" kinda guy.
I only had one nibble-groomer, my last rescued DS. Once she didn't want to rip my face off and learned to trust me, she started to nibble-groom me. She would do it with softer toys, too, but only if I was holding them (an extension of my hand).
Thor's only nibble-groomed a couple times. Guess he's not much of a "pillow talk" kinda guy.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
- felixone123
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1076
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
- Location: Fishkill, NY
Re: Nibble
I think he does it with his front teeth. I will pay closer attention next time. Yes, it is so so soft and gentle, never aggressive.
Barbara, Odin & Kai
- Christie M
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1279
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.
Re: Nibble
No, I think he prefers the whole "Let me bath your arm in my secretions..."method.Raven wrote: Thor's only nibble-groomed a couple times. Guess he's not much of a "pillow talk" kinda guy.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
-
Raven
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1608
- Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
- Tell us about yourself: .
Re: Nibble
If Thor were a human male showing up at your door for a date:
Old Thor: Drags you to the bedroom.
Present Thor: Hands you flowers his mother bought. Knows he needs to read the signs you're giving, but just can't help trying to move the situation a little further along a little faster.
Future Thor: Gives thought to which flowers AND wine to bring, which he will purchase himself. Relaxes by embracing good wine and pleasant company. Appears on the cover of Gentleman's Quarterly.
Old Thor: Drags you to the bedroom.
Present Thor: Hands you flowers his mother bought. Knows he needs to read the signs you're giving, but just can't help trying to move the situation a little further along a little faster.
Future Thor: Gives thought to which flowers AND wine to bring, which he will purchase himself. Relaxes by embracing good wine and pleasant company. Appears on the cover of Gentleman's Quarterly.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
- Dutchringgirl
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 5692
- Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
- Location: Ct, USA
Re: Nibble
HAHAHA
Sadie nibble grooms, its cute, she sticks her nose in your hair and sniffs as hard as she can then pushes it around, then nibbles, she will do that to my arm too, or what ever is there.
Sadie nibble grooms, its cute, she sticks her nose in your hair and sniffs as hard as she can then pushes it around, then nibbles, she will do that to my arm too, or what ever is there.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT




-
Sugars Mom
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1734
- Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.
Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!
I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences. - Location: Victoria BC
Re: Nibble
Cute!
When Sugar broke her leg, she would lick and lick and lick me for weeks after it happened.
When Sugar broke her leg, she would lick and lick and lick me for weeks after it happened.
Sue (and Sugar)

- Choochi
- Training Dog
- Posts: 350
- Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:16 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.
- Location: Toronto, ON
Re: Nibble
oh I love the nibbles!! Both Ripp and Athos do it. Ripp does it to my clothes a lot, Athos will do it on the back of my neck and he loves to ear nibble too. Considering how much of a chompy brute he is, he's actually real good being nice when he's affectionate. I have to watch it with Ripp cos she likes to lick my nose and when she gets overly excited while doing it she will take little chomps at it.. or stick her k9 up my nose! ouch! Funny though she specifically targets the tip of my nose.
Choochi
- felixone123
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1076
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
- Location: Fishkill, NY
Re: Nibble
Odin did the nibble to Dakota's chest and she told him to stop - very funny. He did it another time to her ear and again she let me know - STOP IT!! He obliged.
Barbara, Odin & Kai
-
Raven
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1608
- Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
- Tell us about yourself: .
Re: Nibble
Poor Odin. Buy him some flowers to give her. Some dates are harder than others.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
- Christie M
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1279
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.
Re: Nibble
Raven wrote:Poor Odin. Buy him some flowers to give her. Some dates are harder than others.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
- kchristy
- Training Dog
- Posts: 539
- Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:07 pm
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)
- Location: McCurtain, Ok
Re: Nibble
Poor Odin. Merlin will start to nibble on Chewie and he doesn't mind at first, but then Merlin gets over excited and just sticks Chewies whole head in his mouth. At this point, Chewie does get upset. Crazy creatures 
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin
- Dutchringgirl
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 5692
- Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
- Location: Ct, USA
Re: Nibble
kchristy wrote:Poor Odin. Merlin will start to nibble on Chewie and he doesn't mind at first, but then Merlin gets over excited and just sticks Chewies whole head in his mouth. At this point, Chewie does get upset. Crazy creatures
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT




- Schlussdibusti
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1040
- Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS
Re: Nibble
Well, his name is Chewie! Don't blame poor Merlin to chew on Chewie...kchristy wrote:Poor Odin. Merlin will start to nibble on Chewie and he doesn't mind at first, but then Merlin gets over excited and just sticks Chewies whole head in his mouth. At this point, Chewie does get upset. Crazy creatures
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Jupiter, Florida
- felixone123
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1076
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
- Location: Fishkill, NY
- kchristy
- Training Dog
- Posts: 539
- Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:07 pm
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)
- Location: McCurtain, Ok
Re: Nibble
lol, I tried to explain to my husband that Chewies name was mis-leading. He didn't think it was too funny.

Katrina, Soba, & Merlin


Facebook page.