Projects For 2012?
-
Raven
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1608
- Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
- Tell us about yourself: .
Projects For 2012?
Anyone have any new projects, or projects to firm up, for their dogs this year?
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
-
Lauren
- Training Dog
- Posts: 540
- Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:29 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.
Re: Projects For 2012?
Top 4 on list:
Do not attack children even if they are: a)running. b) on a skateboard. c) biking. d) jumping. e)squealing.
Do not bite or mouth ANYONE: even if they are petting you and think you are cute.
Do not attack the cats even if they attack you. (I know, life is not fair!)
Do not bark and lunge at other dogs. It makes us both look like idiots and we both know you don't mean it.
I know. It is a tall order!!!!
Do not attack children even if they are: a)running. b) on a skateboard. c) biking. d) jumping. e)squealing.
Do not bite or mouth ANYONE: even if they are petting you and think you are cute.
Do not attack the cats even if they attack you. (I know, life is not fair!)
Do not bark and lunge at other dogs. It makes us both look like idiots and we both know you don't mean it.
I know. It is a tall order!!!!
Lauren from Western NC
- Jan
- Training Dog
- Posts: 405
- Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:58 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I like Dutch Shepherddogs, especially the roughcoat. At the moment we have three dogs, two DS (one female who is 10 years and one male who is six months) and one male Laekenois at the age of three. We live in the north of The Netherlands.
- Location: Zoutkamp, NL
Re: Projects For 2012?
Yes, I want to do a view shows with Joep and try to win three or more CAC's to make him Dutch champion in his class for the first time. I know it's ambitious but it's also a nice challenge. And with Bas I want to do some agility matches.
With the two of them we'll start a new training at the dogschool next saturday, both in obedience. And after that I will do another agility training with Bas on a higher level. That will be next summer.
With the two of them we'll start a new training at the dogschool next saturday, both in obedience. And after that I will do another agility training with Bas on a higher level. That will be next summer.
- alspyce
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1222
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year! - Location: Corinth, New York
Re: Projects For 2012?
Joep is so handsome, I hope you achieve your goal at the shows. Sounds like you'll be busy with the others also.
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Chris Carlton/Lyric
-
leih merigian
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.
Re: Projects For 2012?
Where to begin?
(My computer is acting up...we'll see how far I get in this...)
First, I'm working with my vet to diagnose and resolve an issue Geyser has been having for a long time, exercise intolerance. We've worked thru and eliminated several things, and at this point, it looks like chronic bronchitis as a result of being allergic to something, either environmental, parasitical (is that a word?), or edible. It's too expensive to do all the testing that would nail that down, and since the treatment is the same regardless, we're going to go ahead with the treatment and see what happens. We're going to be using Chinese herbs, and I am hopeful of getting to the other side of this very depressing issue.
Meanwhile, we continue with Nosework training. We should be taking our first ORT (Odor Recognition Test) sometime in the first half of 2012, and if any trials come into our neck of the woods, doing our first trial in this activity.
We'll be doing our CGC this spring, soon as it's offered again at the place where we go for our classes.
We'll continue with out agility training...we're working on weaves right now, using the 2x2 method, and it's going great!
She's getting spayed soon, and I've decided to go ahead and register her with the AKC. I don't care what they call her. It's a venue that has a lot of opportunities for competition in my area, so fine. There's no UKC around here, so if I want to do obedience and related stuff (Rally), it's AKC. (I had considered doing SchH obedience, but for a long complicated set of reasons, am not going that route.)
Ongoing obedience, of course. More camping trips, this time without a crate in the tent.
And, a life time goal of working on confidence issues...
(My computer is acting up...we'll see how far I get in this...)
First, I'm working with my vet to diagnose and resolve an issue Geyser has been having for a long time, exercise intolerance. We've worked thru and eliminated several things, and at this point, it looks like chronic bronchitis as a result of being allergic to something, either environmental, parasitical (is that a word?), or edible. It's too expensive to do all the testing that would nail that down, and since the treatment is the same regardless, we're going to go ahead with the treatment and see what happens. We're going to be using Chinese herbs, and I am hopeful of getting to the other side of this very depressing issue.
Meanwhile, we continue with Nosework training. We should be taking our first ORT (Odor Recognition Test) sometime in the first half of 2012, and if any trials come into our neck of the woods, doing our first trial in this activity.
We'll be doing our CGC this spring, soon as it's offered again at the place where we go for our classes.
We'll continue with out agility training...we're working on weaves right now, using the 2x2 method, and it's going great!
She's getting spayed soon, and I've decided to go ahead and register her with the AKC. I don't care what they call her. It's a venue that has a lot of opportunities for competition in my area, so fine. There's no UKC around here, so if I want to do obedience and related stuff (Rally), it's AKC. (I had considered doing SchH obedience, but for a long complicated set of reasons, am not going that route.)
Ongoing obedience, of course. More camping trips, this time without a crate in the tent.
And, a life time goal of working on confidence issues...
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
-
Raven
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1608
- Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
- Tell us about yourself: .
Re: Projects For 2012?
Everyone has lots of ambition for 2012!
Lieh: what exactly happens to Geyser during exercise? Loss of breath, tiredness, vomiting...? And of her confidence, on a scale of 1-10, where is she now?
Lieh: what exactly happens to Geyser during exercise? Loss of breath, tiredness, vomiting...? And of her confidence, on a scale of 1-10, where is she now?
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
-
Sugars Mom
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1734
- Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.
Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!
I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences. - Location: Victoria BC
Re: Projects For 2012?
I've been inspired by watching the free style dog competitions that someone on the forum mentioned, and have been working with Sugar on some tricks like backing up through my legs and almost have it. Not to compete, but for fun. There is an agility for fun course I'm planing to sign us up for to see how she likes it as well.
The other area is focus. I swear the girl has ADD!! I just can't seem to get her to focus on something without a sound or something moving distracting her. We'll keep working on it!
The other area is focus. I swear the girl has ADD!! I just can't seem to get her to focus on something without a sound or something moving distracting her. We'll keep working on it!
Sue (and Sugar)

-
bestlind
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 23
- Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:00 am
- Tell us about yourself: I live in South-eastern Massachusetts with my husband and our three dogs. One of these is a 2 yr old Dutch Shepherd named Ember. I got her from NADSR in 2010. We like to compete in dock-diving and disc dog competitions and trying anything new!
- Location: Norton, MA
Re: Projects For 2012?
I am hoping that Ember and I have a successful and fun 2012!
My behavior goal is that Ember continue to "grow-up" a bit and gain confidence. I would love to be able to walk her places without worrying about whats coming around the corner. I would eventually like her to be able to come to work with me when its quiet during the day.
My training goal is to start Agility (first class is on Wednesday) and see where that takes us. I would also like to continue on with disc dog freestyle competitions this year and travel to a couple of dock diving events.
My personal goal is to take more pictures of her having fun! I am so bad with a camera
My behavior goal is that Ember continue to "grow-up" a bit and gain confidence. I would love to be able to walk her places without worrying about whats coming around the corner. I would eventually like her to be able to come to work with me when its quiet during the day.
My training goal is to start Agility (first class is on Wednesday) and see where that takes us. I would also like to continue on with disc dog freestyle competitions this year and travel to a couple of dock diving events.
My personal goal is to take more pictures of her having fun! I am so bad with a camera
Lindsay Best
Ember, rescue Dutch Shepherd
Norton, MA
Ember, rescue Dutch Shepherd
Norton, MA
-
CaroleBoaz
- Training Dog
- Posts: 592
- Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:52 am
- Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.
- Contact:
Re: Projects For 2012?
I want to get Boaz ready for an agility trial this year. CPE Level 1 is very easy and we have all year. And I want to get a nice heel out of him. With all the conformation shows we did this year, I've totally slacked off on obedience training. If I can get that heel back, then we will go to the next level of Rally.
I need to get back to training my Laeken for his CDX (Companion Dog Excellent).
I need to get back to training my Laeken for his CDX (Companion Dog Excellent).
- Christie M
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1279
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.
Re: Projects For 2012?
Great topic!!
Here are my goals!
Vader - Matt's dog
IPO 1 & 2 (hopefully also 3)
PSA PDC and PSA1
Herding Instinct Test
Balis
IPO1
PSA PDC (maybe PSA1)
first flyball titles (but I don't know what they are
Ziva
IPO1
PSA PDC (maybe PSA1)
Salix
Certify Narcotics
Kick some major flyball ass
Emma
Certify Narcotics
Get comfortable enough to atleast use the flyball box and do recalls at practice
Dante & Willow
Cherish every moment as they are turning 15 and 11 respectively.
Here are my goals!
Vader - Matt's dog
IPO 1 & 2 (hopefully also 3)
PSA PDC and PSA1
Herding Instinct Test
Balis
IPO1
PSA PDC (maybe PSA1)
first flyball titles (but I don't know what they are
Ziva
IPO1
PSA PDC (maybe PSA1)
Salix
Certify Narcotics
Kick some major flyball ass
Emma
Certify Narcotics
Get comfortable enough to atleast use the flyball box and do recalls at practice
Dante & Willow
Cherish every moment as they are turning 15 and 11 respectively.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
- alspyce
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1222
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year! - Location: Corinth, New York
Re: Projects For 2012?
AHHH--So I'm not alone! Can't get a good picture to save my @ss.bestlind wrote: My personal goal is to take more pictures of her having fun! I am so bad with a camera
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Chris Carlton/Lyric
-
leih merigian
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.
Re: Projects For 2012?
Re the exercise thing: She looses her breath, has to rest constantly. She'll fetch a few, then have to lie down and pant until she's ready to go again. Also overheats very easily (which I believe is related...the oxygen just isn't getting thru well enough).Raven wrote: Lieh: what exactly happens to Geyser during exercise? Loss of breath, tiredness, vomiting...? And of her confidence, on a scale of 1-10, where is she now?
Confidence wise, it depends on the situation
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
- alspyce
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1222
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year! - Location: Corinth, New York
Re: Projects For 2012?
Christie, by any chance was Ziva a 1 year old from Florida?
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Chris Carlton/Lyric
- Christie M
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1279
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.
Re: Projects For 2012?
She'll be 2 in May, but yes. She is out of Vrijheid's G litter. Ash asked me to take her and evaluate her. Now she's here for keeps.alspyce wrote:Christie, by any chance was Ziva a 1 year old from Florida?
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
- Marjolein
- Working Dog
- Posts: 2078
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
- Location: Warbeyen, Germany
- Contact:
Re: Projects For 2012?
I'll start of by trying to raise 7 brindled beast to be big fat healthy pups leaving our home at approx. 8 weeks old, after that it's back to tracking and finding a new, better dog-club that can actually teach me stuff about tracking/defense, and maybe do some agility with Ivil.
At the end of summer we hope to add a small striped monster to our family... and well, you cannot plan anything after that
At the end of summer we hope to add a small striped monster to our family... and well, you cannot plan anything after that

- kchristy
- Training Dog
- Posts: 539
- Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:07 pm
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)
- Location: McCurtain, Ok
Re: Projects For 2012?
I look forward to getting Merlin more comfortable with his surroundings. He is finally actinging confident, but somethings still startle him. I want to get out with him more and do some tracking/scent. Most of all I am looking forward to working with him in obedience. He is already doing so well, can't wait to see all the things we can teach him
He actually gave me a great recall the other day when a dog had decided to come in his yard! He was at a full out run toward the dog and just turned and came back to me....so many hugs were given he thought he was king!
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin
- wahinelf
- Green Dog
- Posts: 246
- Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:18 am
- Tell us about yourself: I recently moved from CA to MA (10/12), Ellie (my 4 year old DS mix) and I are adjusting together!
- Location: Boston, MA
- Contact:
Re: Projects For 2012?
Ellie is starting her CGC prep course in February. I'm pretty excited about that. We're continuing with her circus training, and I resolved to do a training session a day with her (nothing too big, just as long as we work on something - she's too smart and I'm just holding her back by not working with her).
I'm excited for 2012. We should do a follow up post at the end of the year to see how everyone did.
I'm excited for 2012. We should do a follow up post at the end of the year to see how everyone did.
-Aubrey

Eleanor CGC FM TF-II, my 5YO DSX

Eleanor CGC FM TF-II, my 5YO DSX
-
leih merigian
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.
Re: Projects For 2012?
I'm thinking more like quarterlywahinelf wrote:I'm excited for 2012. We should do a follow up post at the end of the year to see how everyone did.
Also, remember that you can do little sessions, like 3-5 minutes, and they're very effective
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
-
GSDNanny
- Training Dog
- Posts: 615
- Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.
Re: Projects For 2012?
Christie, like the goals, please keep us posted. Sure wish there was a Ring or IPO club close by but since there isn't, plan on concentrating training HR S&R (maybe some water) and tracking (GSD & DS). Love the scent detection work. Have a friend who is a tracking judge so may pursue titling with the GSD.
Getting the 4 pups ready to work; hunt and scent/search work, some bite.
Now with the Cattle dog and Aussie - herding, not for titles, just practical application on the farm, fine-tuning them (and myself) working as a team. If I can get enough large balls (dont laugh yall
may give the Treiball a try, just for kicks and giggles but only with these two. Cant afford to keep enough balls around with my big guys.
Most of all, not going to stress over anything in training, been there, done that.
Getting the 4 pups ready to work; hunt and scent/search work, some bite.
Now with the Cattle dog and Aussie - herding, not for titles, just practical application on the farm, fine-tuning them (and myself) working as a team. If I can get enough large balls (dont laugh yall
Most of all, not going to stress over anything in training, been there, done that.
Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew
Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
- felixone123
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1076
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
- Location: Fishkill, NY
Re: Projects For 2012?
Teach Odin a good "out", along with the basics. Want to teach some nose work on a scent pad too.
Barbara, Odin & Kai


Facebook page.
