When things go bump.

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Post Reply
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:52 am
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.
Contact:

When things go bump.

Post by CaroleBoaz »

I have been reading the history of the DS and translating the Jubilie book. I read someplace how the DS was used on farms, not just in the capacity of containing the sheep, but to bring cows in for milking, pull the milk cart, protect the smaller livestock, ducks and chickens (and children), and to alert when a stranger arrives on the farm.

I have found Boaz to be very helpful and proactive when things go "bump". My most recent example: I'm doing laundry and the vibration knocked a bowl from the top of the machine onto the floor. Boaz is the first (and only) dog rushing to the laundry room to see what the problem is. The two Belgians, just stand and bark.

I was reading the Belgian breed standard and it does say that "The Belgian Shepherd is a watchful and active dog, bursting with energy, and always ready to leap into action." I guess my Belgians got the "Leaping" part right. But the DS took action. :dssmile:

From the FCI DS breed standard: "Very loyal and reliable, always alert, watchful, active, independent, with persistence, intelligence, prepared to be obedient and gifted with the true shepherding temperament."
Lauren
Training Dog
Posts: 540
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:29 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Re: When things go bump.

Post by Lauren »

HEY! That is the book I read before I got my Sheppy! :D
Lauren from Western NC
User avatar
chimere
Puppy
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am French
Location: France/French

Re: When things go bump.

Post by chimere »

:wtg:
Marie and Dutch Shepherd French kennel Angel of the Moon
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: When things go bump.

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Thats funny, but true!!! What I want to know is where the bite work came in. If they were work dogs and protectors, is the bite work just a projection of that since we dont need them , at least in US for herding?

Sadie is the same, any noise and she is right awake, standing at attention, ears perked, barking in every direction, Thalie usually just sleeps. If Thalie does bark, I know there is real trouble.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
chimere
Puppy
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am French
Location: France/French

Re: When things go bump.

Post by chimere »

I think it's as heavy horse (traction)
utility lost it must convertire
sport with teeth was ideal for a sheepdog and guard defense

*******************************

je penses que c'est comme le cheval lourd (de traction / trait)
l'utilité perdu il faut le convertire
le sport avec mordant était donc idéal pour un chien de berger de garde et défense
Marie and Dutch Shepherd French kennel Angel of the Moon
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:52 am
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.
Contact:

Re: When things go bump.

Post by CaroleBoaz »

Chimere, is correct.

A big part of the DS work was moving the sheep back and forth from moors to barn every day. The barn was a collection point for manure. The sheep would fill it every night, and straw was put on top. This was continued until the sheep had "their backs to the ceiling", walking on a pile of manure. And then the manure was used in the crop fields.

With the industrial age, and tractors, and other sources of fertilizer, the number of sheep dwindled, and the DS lost its job.

Being a natural protector, the police work was a very natural new job.

I'll be translating the rest of the book all winter long. :)
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: When things go bump.

Post by Raven »

I think I read on Judith's site a long time ago that a farmer once gave a Dutch police chief a DS off his farm, calling the dog too stupid, and the chief proceeded to train the dog, making him/her the first DS police dog.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: When things go bump.

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Raven wrote:I think I read on Judith's site a long time ago that a farmer once gave a Dutch police chief a DS off his farm, calling the dog too stupid, and the chief proceeded to train the dog, making him/her the first DS police dog.

That is soooo neat !!!!!!!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
chimere
Puppy
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am French
Location: France/French

Re: When things go bump.

Post by chimere »

Raven wrote:I think I read on Judith's site a long time ago that a farmer once gave a Dutch police chief a DS off his farm, calling the dog too stupid, and the chief proceeded to train the dog, making him/her the first DS police dog.
nice story / jolie histoire
Marie and Dutch Shepherd French kennel Angel of the Moon
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Re: When things go bump.

Post by GSDNanny »

Carol, it would be wonderful if you would kindly share some of your translation of the book on here as you proceed; I know I would really enjoy reading more!!! :wtg: :hail:

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: When things go bump.

Post by leih merigian »

GSDNanny wrote:Carol, it would be wonderful if you would kindly share some of your translation of the book on here as you proceed; I know I would really enjoy reading more!!! :wtg: :hail:
Ditto! :wtg:
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:52 am
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.
Contact:

Re: When things go bump.

Post by CaroleBoaz »

GSDNanny wrote:Carol, it would be wonderful if you would kindly share some of your translation of the book on here as you proceed; I know I would really enjoy reading more!!! :wtg: :hail:
I thought about that, but I think it is a copyright infringement to post an exact translation. I'd be happy to post bits as I go.
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Re: When things go bump.

Post by GSDNanny »

Yes, that was what I was hoping!

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: When things go bump.

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I was hoping too!!!! I think as long as you post where you got the information from and not say its your own it would be fine to post it here. If not Ill come bail you out. :dswink"
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:52 am
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.
Contact:

Re: When things go bump.

Post by CaroleBoaz »

Dutchringgirl wrote:If not Ill come bail you out. :dswink"


I'm going to hold you to that. :pint:
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: When things go bump.

Post by Dutchringgirl »

CaroleBoaz wrote:
Dutchringgirl wrote:If not Ill come bail you out. :dswink"


I'm going to hold you to that. :pint:
Id be right there helping a fellow Dutchie owner, Id bring Thalie and Sadie for back up. :rambo:
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: When things go bump.

Post by Schlussdibusti »

That's the spirit! :mrgreen: :wtg:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: When things go bump.

Post by Marjolein »

CaroleBoaz wrote:
Dutchringgirl wrote:If not Ill come bail you out. :dswink"


I'm going to hold you to that. :pint:
don't worry too much, any serious interest in the breed will be highly apreciated I suppose, and the NHC (breed club and publisher of the book) has never been to strict with any of it's regulations *ugh* so I guess they won't this time either. Sadly enough, none of them will probabely ever have an interest in this forum, so hey, I might even help out and translate some stuff along with you :D
Image
Post Reply