How in the world do you train dog owners? Therein lies my largest frustration.
For instance, I take in-house boarders for training (one at a time), everything from social to ob to house, crate, vehicle training. Had an obnoxious yellow Lab/HoundX in for two months. Totally out of control. Dog was being trained or going to the shelter. Told them I would try. I really did not like the dog at first. Now this owner is supposedly intelligent; a local physician who owns her own practice, lives in a gorgous humongous home, makes big $$.
The dog ended up being a real doll, passed her CGC, had a super nice nose for scent, playful, willful, intelligent. No longer leaped on everyone and everything in sight, very mannerly. Not one accident in the house.
I always teach the dogs crate training first thing to esp aid in housetraining. I also teach the owner to not ever let a dog out of a crate when it is whining/barking unless you suspect it needs to potty. You should be able to know. I always give detailed written instructions after a lengthy owner education session, providing my cell to call. Sounds easy enough, right?
So the dog goes home, three days later, I call to check up. Seems she free-feeds the dog (I told her not to), doesnt keep it on a potty schedule (We had established a schedule) and lets the dog out of the crate as soon as it whines (no-no). So the dog peed in the bed (owner's) and poops in the house, and she wont crate it because the poor baby barks/whines to get out. Now who is in control here? GRRRR!
She says, I cant do a thing with this dog. Ya think! Well lady, here's ya sign!! Or maybe it is mine because after several of these type owners recently, I'm giving this hard thought. Training dogs is easy, training owners is futile.


Facebook page.
Judith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds 


This owner calls to brag and sends working photos all the time. Makes it all worth to me. 