a day in the life of your dog

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
alexis
Green Dog
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:42 pm
Tell us about yourself: Live in NYC with Zane

a day in the life of your dog

Post by alexis »

I'm curious - what does a typical day look like for your dog? Say, a day you work and a day off? Bonus points for pictures!

How much time do you spend outside? How much time training? What kind of fun stuff do you and your dog do together?

On workdays, I spend an hour at the park with him in the early morning, playing fetch or letting him play with other dogs. Then we have breakfast, I get ready while Zane entertains himself with his toys in the recycling bin and we go for a quick walk right before I leave for work. I get some kind of food game set up for him (find the cookie, a kong wobbler) and then he's alone for the day (he used to have a dog walker for a lunchtime walk until recently, but we had some problems with her - so, no more dog walker). My husband gets home before I do and takes Zane for a long walk and feeds him his dinner. They usually do some training and then hang out on the couch until I get home. We usually do two more quick training sessions during the evening and play some in the house fetch or tug. Then, Zane hangs out in his crate with a toy until his last walk of the day. At bedtime, he gets on the sofa to sleep.

Weekends aren't too different except that we're home most of the time and take Zane on a major afternoon outing to go to a bigger park, for a long walk somewhere new or to go swimming (yes, there is an indoor dog pool in New York!) at least once each weekend and do a few more training sessions.
alexis & zane in NYC
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: a day in the life of your dog

Post by Schlussdibusti »

(there is an indoor dog pool in New York!)
Marco is already packing his mask & snorkel and wants to travel to the Big Apple to check out the dog pool. :wtg:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:52 am
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.
Contact:

Re: a day in the life of your dog

Post by CaroleBoaz »

Weekdays before and after work.
Image
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TCgzX2D ... re=channel

Weekends.
Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
felixone123
Working Dog
Posts: 1076
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
Location: Fishkill, NY

Re: a day in the life of your dog

Post by felixone123 »

the stuffed animal your Mal has in the video would not last in my house - it would be gutted in 2 secs :lol:

love all that snow!!
Barbara, Odin & Kai
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:52 am
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.
Contact:

Re: a day in the life of your dog

Post by CaroleBoaz »

Yes, stuffed toys don't last long around here. For some reason, that particular toy got more respect than the others. She also has a little stuffed toy today that has lasted more than a month.

For training, we train outside every evening for a few minutes during play time, if the weather is nice. Not in the winter. Boaz is taking a lot of classes, and my Laekenois also was in a lot of classes until recently. Then there is always the weekend dog shows. I've cut back on those a lot nice Balto finished his AKC RAE (Rally Advanced Execellent).
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: a day in the life of your dog

Post by leih merigian »

Our routine varies depending on the season.

In the winter, we get up, go out for a quick take-care-of-business walk and run, return, feed the cats and then do some kind of training (nosework, obedience, freestyle, tricks, whatever we're working on).

I do my own workout after that, then we head on out for more training, exercise and hiking. Generally, something agility related (we're working on weaves a lot right now), and I'm someone who believes all the time you spend with your dog is basically training; when hiking, we do different nosework things, various recalls, work on distance-from-me cues (with me- within 6 feet; stay close- within 25 feet or so; free-stay in sight), and take advantage of anything we find in the environment for some kind of work.

Alternatively, we'll do an outing of some kind, going down to the pedestrian mall to walk around and practice stuff with other people and dogs and all sorts of things going on.

Then she gets her first meal of the day, and then it's rest time for both of us :mrgreen: . Also, errands and such.

In the afternoon, we repeat the morning outing/training/exercise session. In the summer, this usually includes swimming.

Dinner (humans and animals).

Evening...play sessions and another training session of some kind. Often, we're taking a class one evening a week.

She's with me 24/7 (we're both lucky there!), and we've worked on her being able to stay home alone, too (who needs separation anxiety?). At 20 months, she's now able to be left home, free in the house, with both cats, if they happen to be inside. Generally speaking tho, whatever I'm doing and wherever I"m going, she's with me.
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
User avatar
wahinelf
Green Dog
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:18 am
Tell us about yourself: I recently moved from CA to MA (10/12), Ellie (my 4 year old DS mix) and I are adjusting together!
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: a day in the life of your dog

Post by wahinelf »

Before work (I go in at noon most days) - we either go to the close dog park or the bigger, more fun Pt. Isabel.

Image

Image

We fit in some training at the park - really trying to drive home stays with me out of sight.

She gets a full kong in her crate while I'm at work then dinner and a walk when Tom or I get home. When she's lucky her friend Tiger will come over and they'll ruin the apartment.

Image

Then she tries to stay awake...but it doesn't always work out.

Image

On the weekends...we have class. She's hard to see in the video cause she's closest to the camera at first. Circus class!
http://youtu.be/sJuExiSSks8
-Aubrey

Image

Eleanor CGC FM TF-II, my 5YO DSX
Lauren
Training Dog
Posts: 540
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:29 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Re: a day in the life of your dog

Post by Lauren »

Our day starts at 6:00am when the siamese alarm clock goes off.

Put dogs out, feed cats, feed dogs, bring coffee to the lucky other half who will have to get up and do this tomorrow (every other day coffee in bed! you can't beat it), wake children for school. Hubby takes kids to school while Xena and I take a long walk. We train along the way and I have a tug or frisbee to play with too.

if we are working downtown, Xena goes with me and down stays in the gardens while i weed and remove trash. She is learning to heel through people, and at crosswalks and is even learning to push the crosswalk button with her nose (but she rolls her eyes while doing it :roll: ) Yesterday she started carrying a watering can for me!!!!
She is adorable!!! If we are going to pet friendly yards she also comes with us. BUT if we are going somewhere with other dogs or not a safe spot, she stays home in the crate with a stuffed Kong. (3-4 hours MAX)

We come home to let her out and play and then she can usually either come finish the day with us, or she waits until the kids get home at 4:00 to go back out and play. More fetch in the yard or if she is lucky and I am patient, I let her help "herd" chickens into their coop at night. :dschick: (Yes, chickens will do that by themselves, but she loves it!!! Dinner is at 6:00. Then hang with the family until her night walk. After that she snuggles in bed with me until Hubby puts them out for "last out" (10:30pm) and into the crates for the night!

Weekends we usually go and do some hiking or training in the park, romping in the river, digging in the garden, or even better HERDING clinic! We also take bi-weekly herding lessons and are going to start our CGC class soon! :dsshock:
Lauren from Western NC
User avatar
felixone123
Working Dog
Posts: 1076
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
Location: Fishkill, NY

Re: a day in the life of your dog

Post by felixone123 »

:lol: :lol: how fun!! I love, love, love that video and music!! Your dog and all the dogs look like they are having so much fun - awesome!
Barbara, Odin & Kai
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: a day in the life of your dog

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Looks like a lot of fun dogs and people working together :wtg:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: a day in the life of your dog

Post by leih merigian »

That circus class looks like such a blast! And your girl is so good!

(I am so jealous about how CA has so much fun dog stuff going on; tons of nosework out there, for example, and no ORT or trials around here on the event horizon at all :( )
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
alexis
Green Dog
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:42 pm
Tell us about yourself: Live in NYC with Zane

Re: a day in the life of your dog

Post by alexis »

Schlussdibusti wrote:Marco is already packing his mask & snorkel and wants to travel to the Big Apple to check out the dog pool.
I'm sure Zane would love a visit to the dog pool with Marco, but it's pretty sad compared to the beaches you've got!
alexis & zane in NYC
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: a day in the life of your dog

Post by Schlussdibusti »

alexis wrote:
Schlussdibusti wrote:Marco is already packing his mask & snorkel and wants to travel to the Big Apple to check out the dog pool.
I'm sure Zane would love a visit to the dog pool with Marco, but it's pretty sad compared to the beaches you've got!
But more audience to show off his swim and diving skills :mrgreen:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
ICE
Training Dog
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:32 am
Tell us about yourself: I have a 12 week old dutch shepherd that my trainer got for me to train in schutzhund. This is my 1st dutch shepherd, I have always had german shepherds. Currently, I have 4 dogs.

Re: a day in the life of your dog

Post by ICE »

Our work days start at 4:15. 3 of the 4 go out while I shower then me and the 4th go out. Then everyone back in for breakfast and I prepare my work day items. Then back out for a quick potty and everyone gets a kong with cheerios and peanut butter in their crate for the day. My son is home during the day and lets the dogs out and feeds Ice his lunch. I am back home about 4 and I change my clothes and out we all go to play. I have nosework class on Mondays and Thursdays and Schutzhund class on Wed and Sat. I do nosework with only one dog and Schutzhund with two but lucky Ice pup gets to go to all classes even though he only participates in Schutzhund. :D . Sundays are more relaxing with no alarm in the morning and playing either inside our out depending on the weather.

Patty
Patty and Ice
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: a day in the life of your dog

Post by leih merigian »

Patty...you have fortunate dogs!!!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
ICE
Training Dog
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:32 am
Tell us about yourself: I have a 12 week old dutch shepherd that my trainer got for me to train in schutzhund. This is my 1st dutch shepherd, I have always had german shepherds. Currently, I have 4 dogs.

Re: a day in the life of your dog

Post by ICE »

Someone should tell them that!!! :lol: :lol:

Patty
Patty and Ice
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: a day in the life of your dog

Post by Sugars Mom »

What does a typical day look like for us?

On school/work days we wake up and I feed Sugar (coconut oil added to her food) then let her out for her pee/poop. After we all eat breakfast and shower, Sugar goes for a ride with the boys to take them to school. On non school/work days when we sleep in, Sugar will wake up around 8 and we let her come up on the bed with us until we decide to get up. Then she is fed and goes out to do her business. If only I get up, she will go back to bed with Daddy after going to the bathroom until he gets up.

Once Daddy is up, she follows him around or sits and stares at him until he has his morning banana that he shares with her. His routine is to put a piece of banana in his mouth and tells her “gentle” and she gently takes it out of his mouth. I told him, one day she is going to be really excited about getting her banana and bite his lip off, but he trusts her and doesn’t want to listen to me. What can I do? Its “their” thing. It is cute and they both love it, so...

Image

I will take her for a walk later on in the morning for an hour.

We usually do some 5 min training sessions though out the day (how many depends on work schedule or what I am working on with her).

When its time to get the boys from school, she goes for another car ride to get them. She LOVES her boys!!

Image

At 4 pm, a bunch of people in the neighbourhood take their dogs up to the field to play, and if I am not watching the time, Sugar will stare at me until I also realize its 4 pm. She loves to play with her friends.

I take her up for a play for maybe 45 min, sometimes more, sometimes less depending on which dogs are there and how much playing she does with them. If no one else shows up, we go for a walk around the neigbourhood.

Image

After we get back home, she will play with the boys or lay on the couch with them if they are watching TV or playing video games until dinner time.

Image

She has her dinner, with Omega 3 and coconut oil added to her food.

After dinner she play with the boys or curl up with us in front of the TV or in her bed if we are doing homework, etc.

Once boys are in bed, she is curled up with us in front of TV until bedtime, then out for a last pee and then she follows us to our room and goes to her bed on the floor beside our bed.

Image
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
User avatar
felixone123
Working Dog
Posts: 1076
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
Location: Fishkill, NY

Re: a day in the life of your dog

Post by felixone123 »

I love the shot of her lying sound asleep on her back and the one with her head on the pillow.
Barbara, Odin & Kai
User avatar
kchristy
Training Dog
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:07 pm
Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)
Location: McCurtain, Ok

Re: a day in the life of your dog

Post by kchristy »

lol love the pics :)
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: a day in the life of your dog

Post by leih merigian »

She is so darn cute! love the banana eating shot, and also, in the car picking up the boys looking out the winder...she's got a darn nice life!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Post Reply