Been working on making Odin's "leave it" more solid, so today we took it outside. I was actually throwing high value treats at him and he "left it" - yay!! He just sat there and looked at me as if I was
"leave it"
- felixone123
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1076
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
- Location: Fishkill, NY
"leave it"
Had a GREAT training session with Odin today!! YAY!!!!
Been working on making Odin's "leave it" more solid, so today we took it outside. I was actually throwing high value treats at him and he "left it" - yay!! He just sat there and looked at me as if I was
Been working on making Odin's "leave it" more solid, so today we took it outside. I was actually throwing high value treats at him and he "left it" - yay!! He just sat there and looked at me as if I was
Barbara, Odin & Kai
- wahinelf
- Green Dog
- Posts: 246
- Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:18 am
- Tell us about yourself: I recently moved from CA to MA (10/12), Ellie (my 4 year old DS mix) and I are adjusting together!
- Location: Boston, MA
- Contact:
Re: "leave it"
Odin needs to teach Ellie now!
She especially can't "leave" goose poop!
She especially can't "leave" goose poop!
-Aubrey

Eleanor CGC FM TF-II, my 5YO DSX

Eleanor CGC FM TF-II, my 5YO DSX
-
leih merigian
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.
Re: "leave it"
woohoo!!
It's a nice high, ain't it?
It's a nice high, ain't it?
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
- felixone123
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1076
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
- Location: Fishkill, NY
Re: "leave it"
yes, it is a nice high!! and it's fun - we always have fun when training.
Ya know, I'm learning all this training stuff as I go, reading great books, watching videos on training and learning from all you guys. I happen to like clicker training the best, so that's what I am doing now.
Currently reading,Control Unleashed, click to calm and on talking terms with dogs: calming signals, all at the same time
Oh, and we have a rule in our house - nothing is free. It helps when one has a smart dog too 
Ya know, I'm learning all this training stuff as I go, reading great books, watching videos on training and learning from all you guys. I happen to like clicker training the best, so that's what I am doing now.
Currently reading,Control Unleashed, click to calm and on talking terms with dogs: calming signals, all at the same time

Barbara, Odin & Kai
- alspyce
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1222
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year! - Location: Corinth, New York
Re: "leave it"
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Chris Carlton/Lyric
- felixone123
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1076
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
- Location: Fishkill, NY
Re: "leave it"
Thanks! Since he is our 1st ever Dutch or shepherd, I really have nothing to compare him too, except my female mutt
. I'm laughing because she is so opposite of him - standoffish, reactive to other dogs, insecure, etc. But we love her madly too!!!
My husband and I are in love with his temperment.
My husband and I are in love with his temperment.
Barbara, Odin & Kai
- goodomens
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 16
- Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:47 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Adventures galore!
Re: "leave it"
Yay!!! 'Leave it' is such a valuable thing for them to learn, both for their safety and your sanity. :dswink"
Way to go!
Way to go!
Jessica and jetson (and occasionally mike)
- kchristy
- Training Dog
- Posts: 539
- Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:07 pm
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)
- Location: McCurtain, Ok
Re: "leave it"
Congrats on the training
sure is an awesome feeling when they pick up on a command!!
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin
-
GSDNanny
- Training Dog
- Posts: 615
- Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.
Re: "leave it"
Job well done. 
Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew
Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
- felixone123
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1076
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
- Location: Fishkill, NY
Re: "leave it"
ok, well.........this morning was NOT a great "leave it" training session
It was like Odin didn't know any part of the word "leave it". Oh well, I guess there are days like this. Will train him again later and take it back to the beginning - bummer.
It was like Odin didn't know any part of the word "leave it". Oh well, I guess there are days like this. Will train him again later and take it back to the beginning - bummer.
Barbara, Odin & Kai
- kchristy
- Training Dog
- Posts: 539
- Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:07 pm
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)
- Location: McCurtain, Ok
Re: "leave it"
Sometimes it happens, they have stubborn days just like we do
don't get bumbed out!!! He will come around.
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin
- alspyce
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1222
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year! - Location: Corinth, New York
Re: "leave it"
I think sometimes when they "Sleep On It", they are really trying to figure out new ways to challenge us. Just keep at it! You guys are doing a good job, it's just a minor setback.felixone123 wrote:ok, well.........this morning was NOT a great "leave it" training session![]()
It was like Odin didn't know any part of the word "leave it". Oh well, I guess there are days like this. Will train him again later and take it back to the beginning - bummer.
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Chris Carlton/Lyric
- felixone123
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1076
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
- Location: Fishkill, NY
Re: "leave it"
thanks guys. He's in a weird mood thus far. I think he misses his papa, who comes home tonight from a business trip.
Will try again later. Oh, and yeah, he is being extra stubborn today.
Will try again later. Oh, and yeah, he is being extra stubborn today.
Barbara, Odin & Kai
-
leih merigian
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.
Re: "leave it"
Don't forget...forgetting is part of learning
They do it, we do it, it's pure learning theory.
You're smart to back up to where he was OK with it, and move forward at his pace.
Remember too, these things take TONS of repititions.
People often think that just because their dog obeyed "sit" in the kitchen, the dog knows "sit" as a concept. Oh contraire! Dogs are very context specific, so when you're working on a new behavior, you have to start taking it all over the house (lower distractions than outside), then outside, and all over the yard, then to other outside locations, etc etc etc. When you can turn your back on your dog so they can't see your face or any other behavioral cues you inadvertently give off, and say "sit" and the dog sits, well, then they've really started to get the concept
.
Don't get discouraged!!
You're smart to back up to where he was OK with it, and move forward at his pace.
Remember too, these things take TONS of repititions.
People often think that just because their dog obeyed "sit" in the kitchen, the dog knows "sit" as a concept. Oh contraire! Dogs are very context specific, so when you're working on a new behavior, you have to start taking it all over the house (lower distractions than outside), then outside, and all over the yard, then to other outside locations, etc etc etc. When you can turn your back on your dog so they can't see your face or any other behavioral cues you inadvertently give off, and say "sit" and the dog sits, well, then they've really started to get the concept
Don't get discouraged!!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
- felixone123
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1076
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
- Location: Fishkill, NY
Re: "leave it"
wow - did not know this, but know it now!! Thanks for the explaining.
Barbara, Odin & Kai
- Kristie E
- Training Dog
- Posts: 321
- Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:09 am
- Tell us about yourself: I have had a DS for almost a year. Gwen and I are considering participating in PSA and or possible Ring Sport. I also have a Great Dane. I have grown up around working GSDs and my last GSD was a working K9 officer. I am all about dogs and animals in general and want to learn as much as I can about training.
Re: "leave it"
training does not generalize so you need to train it in all different places and different positions as well.. a big challenge for us was when my back was turned to Gwen.. she was like "I don't know what you are talking about"... leave it is a wonderful wonderful thing to teach ... she has gotten to the point where she will look at me first before she goes after something on the floor... outside if I am in viewing distance she will do the same but if she thinks I am not watching she tries to be sneaky.. we have to work on it.. 
Kristie
Rommel's Guenhyvar (Gwenice the Menace) BH, PSA PDC sleeve
Rommel's Guenhyvar (Gwenice the Menace) BH, PSA PDC sleeve
-
Drizlaru
- Green Dog
- Posts: 148
- Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:28 am
- Tell us about yourself: Motivated sport dog trainer.
Re: "leave it"
Absolutely! If you really want to challenge your dogs understanding of a command or commands, put your dog in a sit, then lie down on the floor face up away from your dog. Put your feet together, and your hands at your sides. Now tell your dog a command without moving any part of your body. Let me say, most dogs fail the first dozen or so times, or can't repeatedly get the command right. More often then not though, alot of people have a hard time keeping the dog in a sit while they're lieing down on the floor.leih merigian wrote:Don't forget...forgetting is part of learningThey do it, we do it, it's pure learning theory.
You're smart to back up to where he was OK with it, and move forward at his pace.
Remember too, these things take TONS of repititions.
People often think that just because their dog obeyed "sit" in the kitchen, the dog knows "sit" as a concept. Oh contraire! Dogs are very context specific, so when you're working on a new behavior, you have to start taking it all over the house (lower distractions than outside), then outside, and all over the yard, then to other outside locations, etc etc etc. When you can turn your back on your dog so they can't see your face or any other behavioral cues you inadvertently give off, and say "sit" and the dog sits, well, then they've really started to get the concept.
Don't get discouraged!!
Disclaimer: This post is not intended to send anyone to grief counseling, or a mental trauma hospital. The information in this post is intended for "informational purposes only", and is a product of my own opinion.
Ben MacDonald
Ben MacDonald
- felixone123
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1076
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
- Location: Fishkill, NY
Re: "leave it"
thanks guys!! will now start to train in different parts of the house and am interested to see what Odin does if i command him with my back and then lie on the floor.
I know we have alot of work ahead of us and I do make mistakes along the way, but the most important thing is we have fun. He doesn't know when I mess up (hopefully). I laugh and continue on making it better the next time.
I know we have alot of work ahead of us and I do make mistakes along the way, but the most important thing is we have fun. He doesn't know when I mess up (hopefully). I laugh and continue on making it better the next time.
Barbara, Odin & Kai
-
leih merigian
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.
Re: "leave it"
Drizlaru wrote:More often then not though, alot of people have a hard time keeping the dog in a sit while they're lieing down on the floor.
What a great idea! Can't wait to try it out! (so glad you're joining in more around here, too; your explanations are so succinct
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
-
Drizlaru
- Green Dog
- Posts: 148
- Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:28 am
- Tell us about yourself: Motivated sport dog trainer.
Re: "leave it"
Hehe thanks!
Let us know how it went!
Disclaimer: This post is not intended to send anyone to grief counseling, or a mental trauma hospital. The information in this post is intended for "informational purposes only", and is a product of my own opinion.
Ben MacDonald
Ben MacDonald


Facebook page.