DS and hunting?

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Post Reply
Violet
Puppy
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:52 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm 28, a student and mum of three girls. I have two dogs a GSD and a JRT and I have a partner who is moving over from NL soon who has a GSD guide dog. I am hoping to become a dog trainer amongst other things and love nothing more than spending time with my girls my partner and the woofs.
Location: UK

DS and hunting?

Post by Violet »

I have recently started working in the lovely world of falconry. It's part of my work experience for my degree, but I am loving it and can see it becoming a potential job or just a hobby ( there's a possible job at the end of it if I keep up the good work). Now part of falconry involves hunting with dogs. Most of the dogs used are typically hunt, point, retrieve dogs, spaniels or retrievers etc. My question is, Do you think a DS could be taught to do the same job as a hunt point retrieve dog? not necessarily the pointing, but at least the scenting/tracking, brush work, retrieving and positioning of prey?
I would really be interested to know as I was recently offered a Hungarian Vizla which would be perfect for this job, but I am holding out for a DS because of reasons mentioned previously in my intro, though it seems the only thing a DS can do which a Vizla cannot is the protection part of working trials.
Has anyone ever heard of a DS being used for hunting in this way?
Emily,UK

Your dog doesn't notice you are old or ill or unsuccessful. To him you are perfect -Pam Brown, 1928
User avatar
alspyce
Working Dog
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Location: Corinth, New York

Re: DS and hunting?

Post by alspyce »

I guess you've not seen a pissed off Vizsla???

Good luck in Falconry----Would love to see pics.
Don't know about hunting with a DS tho.
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: DS and hunting?

Post by Marjolein »

There are stories of farmers years ago, who hunted too, that used to bring their farm-dog (DS) along when hunting.

I happen to have a hunting DS at home :roll: and I am pretty sure she would LOVE to do this job. Not sure how to teach her retrieving means bringing it to me BEFORE it enters her stomach :dschick: :dsdoubt: but with LOTS of patience it could be possible, I guess.
Image
Isis
Puppy
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:56 am
Tell us about yourself: I am a life long dog owner who enjoys dog sports and PPT, I own a Dutch Shepherd, a German Shepherd and a Standard Schnauzer.

Re: DS and hunting?

Post by Isis »

I do not know about the Dutch Shepherd being used for hunting, but I have heard of some old-time hunters that have sworn by their German Shepherds as the best hunting dogs....my own GSD is a prey monster and has unfortunately, run after deer and only returned to the house when she felt it was time for dinner. :evil:

I also know, first hand, of a Queensland Heeler or Australian Cattle Dog, as they are now called, that was an amazing hunting dog! He died at 12.5 years of age, but was used every year by his owner, during hunting season to help locate deer and to trail injured deer if it wasn't killed instantly by the shot. He was very useful and dependable to his owner.
I don't see why a DS couldn't be taught to be a hunting dog....they are a versatile breed!
Gia and Panzer (Dutch Shepherd)

Image
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: DS and hunting?

Post by Christie M »

I held my falconry license for a few years, but it did not overlap my DS years. My second girl, Willow, was raised along with a lab companion who was an excellent point, flush and retrieve dog. Willow naturally caught on to the scent detection part of things, and retrieve (although soft mouth was never her virtue). I never put the time into a "woah." But I bet she would have done it. My ex was very impressed with her nose and trainability and he joked about taking her to hunting shows just to have something different.

I am so envious of you having a bird. Are you handling something specific now? Are you planning to apprentice with a specific species/bird? Are you thinking wild caught, purchased or handed down from another falconer. I have talked about getting back in to it so many time, but I just think it wouldn't be fair. I can barely commit to working my dogs enough.

I would love to see pics!!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: DS and hunting?

Post by Marjolein »

Ivil can do a pretty good "point" too, this is where I HAVE to call her "HIERRR!!" if I miss this, she's out of control and goes hunting (without me...).

Image

In this photo it's only mild (relaxed body, but alert and sniffing in some deer far away). If they would have been closer she get's really tense, her whole body is stiff, trembling. I would not have been taking a photo in that case but giving a very firm "HIER!" command :roll:

I also have an action :oops: pic... no deer was hurt :oops: 2 brindles were hurt, after they got back :evil: (Dingo just tags along with Ivil if she goes...)

Image
:oops: :oops: :oops:
Image
User avatar
felixone123
Working Dog
Posts: 1076
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
Location: Fishkill, NY

Re: DS and hunting?

Post by felixone123 »

love the action shot pic. you can see the lead deer making large leaping strides :lol:
Barbara, Odin & Kai
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: DS and hunting?

Post by Christie M »

I love that picture!! It is so surreal!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: DS and hunting?

Post by leih merigian »

Wow, Marjolein! Great shot!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: DS and hunting?

Post by Raven »

Great shot, but my heart went in my mouth thinking of being the photographer. Yikes.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: DS and hunting?

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Did anybody say Fenton? :whistle: :mrgreen:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Isis
Puppy
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:56 am
Tell us about yourself: I am a life long dog owner who enjoys dog sports and PPT, I own a Dutch Shepherd, a German Shepherd and a Standard Schnauzer.

Re: DS and hunting?

Post by Isis »

Schlussdibusti wrote:Did anybody say Fenton? :whistle: :mrgreen:
hehehe! That's my GSD to a T! I can call her off of ANYTHING, except deer. That is why God invented E-collars!
Gia and Panzer (Dutch Shepherd)

Image
Violet
Puppy
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:52 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm 28, a student and mum of three girls. I have two dogs a GSD and a JRT and I have a partner who is moving over from NL soon who has a GSD guide dog. I am hoping to become a dog trainer amongst other things and love nothing more than spending time with my girls my partner and the woofs.
Location: UK

Re: DS and hunting?

Post by Violet »

Haha nice picture marjolein

Now when it comes to hunting, I'm not looking for a dog to catch the prey, thats down to the birds, hunting with dogs has been banned here now ( this is the UK afterall :roll: ), but we can use them to flush, locate and retrieve downed prey.

Christie, I've only really just got into it, but I'm lining up for a harris hawk next year and I'm currently dealing with numerous birds, from falcons and hawks to eagles, owls and there's even a vulture on site, but he's only flown by the owner. The chap I'm working for does displays, hunting experience days, medieval re-enactments, and hawking on horseback. Some of his birds have even been used in film and tv, so he's very diverse and I've learnt loads already.
I had my first go at flying a peregrine x saker and then a gyr x saker just yesterday and I loved it.I've flown his 'killing machine' harris hawk aswell ( he has 5 of them) and on friday I should get my first go at flying a couple of eagles. We are getting all the birds out and fit now for the show season, I may even be giving a couple of shows myself which is nerve wracking for me as I'm still a newbie, but I'm learning so fast. It's something I've always wanted to have go at but I never expected it all to take off so quickly, just a few weeks ago I was doing work experience at a boarding kennels and then within a week I got sorted here and there are so many opportunities with it aswell. Hopfully once I finish my degree there will be a job in it for me :)

edited to add: forgot to say Christie that I'm planning on a captive bred parent-reared Harris for myself as my first BOP. I'd love to eventually have a golden eagle or a steppe eagle, though the bateleur eagle seems really nice aswell.
Emily,UK

Your dog doesn't notice you are old or ill or unsuccessful. To him you are perfect -Pam Brown, 1928
User avatar
alspyce
Working Dog
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Location: Corinth, New York

Re: DS and hunting?

Post by alspyce »

Schlussdibusti wrote:Did anybody say Fenton? :whistle: :mrgreen:
Or maybe J. C.?
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
User avatar
kchristy
Training Dog
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:07 pm
Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)
Location: McCurtain, Ok

Re: DS and hunting?

Post by kchristy »

Love the photos!
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: DS and hunting?

Post by Marjolein »

I do NOT like that last pic, I sort of took it as proof to show Johan why I needed to invest in a good range e-collar :oops: My heart was racing, there is a road behind those trees on the right, luckily the deer decided to go back up hill, away from the road, phew! I could have killed somebody :oops: :oops: :(

Emily, I got that, the birds do the hunting and you need a retrieving dog. I'm pretty sure you can teach a DS just about anything, but a dog bred for this will surely have more talent for the job ;)
Image
User avatar
kchristy
Training Dog
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:07 pm
Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)
Location: McCurtain, Ok

Re: DS and hunting?

Post by kchristy »

Ek!! That would be scary, sometimes they just get so excited, it's like they go deaf :evil:
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Re: DS and hunting?

Post by GSDNanny »

I've always had a fascination of falconry. Please keep us up on your venture if you may.

I would suspect it would depend on the DS so far as hunting. Dont doubt that the hunting is possible, just not sure about the retrieval :dschick: With the potential for 700+ lbs bite pressure compounded by a DS in the highest of prey drive, well, not sure there would be much left of your kill. I wouldnt think a DS would classify as a 'soft mouth' retriever! :lol: But anything is possible with the right training.

I do know someone who uses their DS for blood-trailing deer.

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
Post Reply