stretching
- Dutchringgirl
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 5692
- Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
- Location: Ct, USA
stretching
ok, we all love a good stretch. Whos dog also stretches their feet and toes?? When Sadie stretches she will curl her feet and toes into a ball, then stretch each toe out and spread them apart. Its the funniest thing I have ever seen.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT




-
Sugars Mom
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1734
- Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.
Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!
I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences. - Location: Victoria BC
Re: stretching
Sugar stretches her toes too. Usually when she wakes up she goes into a downward dog position, stretching her front legs out, and toes out too. The other thing she does is stretch while lying on her back and stretch her legs straight up in the air. This is very funny and cute!
Sue (and Sugar)

- Marjolein
- Working Dog
- Posts: 2078
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
- Location: Warbeyen, Germany
- Contact:
Re: stretching
uhm, no. Dingo stretches front to back including tail, Ivil does mainly the back-tail thing 
- Dutchringgirl
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 5692
- Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
- Location: Ct, USA
Re: stretching
Sadie does that too! Ill go up to her and she will roll on her back and stretch her legs straight up in the air.Sugars Mom wrote:The other thing she does is stretch while lying on her back and stretch her legs straight up in the air. This is very funny and cute!
Thalie just does the regular dog stretch. But she is cute anyway.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT




- felixone123
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1076
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
- Location: Fishkill, NY
-
Sugars Mom
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1734
- Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.
Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!
I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences. - Location: Victoria BC
Re: stretching
So whats a regular dog stretch? I guess I don't know...I thought what Sugar does was normal.
Sue (and Sugar)

- felixone123
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1076
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
- Location: Fishkill, NY
Re: stretching
[quote="Marjolein. Dingo stretches front to back including tail
That's how Odin stretches which is a regular dog stretch with no feet and toe curls into a ball that Sadie does.
That's how Odin stretches which is a regular dog stretch with no feet and toe curls into a ball that Sadie does.
Barbara, Odin & Kai
- Diesel
- Green Dog
- Posts: 160
- Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:11 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Hello, my name is Ashlee. I have a Dutch Shepherd who will be 5 this summer. We live in Northwest Territories Canada. Diesel is a typical Dutch Shepherd, very high intelligence and extremely high energy.
- Location: Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
Re: stretching
Haha, I've never seen a dog stretch toes but that would be adorable!
Diesel stretches when he gets up, both legs at the same time...he especially likes to strech if he is getting off the couch, slowly decending and stretching his legs (he usually lets out a fart too
)
Halo stretches one leg at a time, I've only ever seen cats stretch like that! :kitty:
Diesel stretches when he gets up, both legs at the same time...he especially likes to strech if he is getting off the couch, slowly decending and stretching his legs (he usually lets out a fart too
Halo stretches one leg at a time, I've only ever seen cats stretch like that! :kitty:
Ashlee, Diesel and Halo
- goodomens
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 16
- Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:47 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Adventures galore!
Re: stretching
Jetson does the individual toe stretch too, its so funny, but also painful as he always seems to target his front paws ontop of my feet when he stretches and then his little toes dig their way into my feet.
and then he does forward stretchings to balance it out where he reaches back his rear legs. He does stretching on command but it is much more half a**ed than his real stretching and he doesn't do the toe thing with it then either.
Jessica and jetson (and occasionally mike)
-
Drizlaru
- Green Dog
- Posts: 148
- Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:28 am
- Tell us about yourself: Motivated sport dog trainer.
Re: stretching
Leo does his play bow stretch, then the back legs individually. No toes! He does like the upside down stretch where he lies on his back and stretches his legs out too. Then of course comes the big yawn!
Disclaimer: This post is not intended to send anyone to grief counseling, or a mental trauma hospital. The information in this post is intended for "informational purposes only", and is a product of my own opinion.
Ben MacDonald
Ben MacDonald
- alspyce
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1222
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year! - Location: Corinth, New York
Re: stretching
Lyric will lay on her back, stretch front legs straight up as far as possible----while balancing her GoughNuts toy on her feet.(The same toy she uses to hold her antler while she chews it.) I've been trying to get a photo but of course, as soon as I pick up the camera, she gets up to see what I have.
That toy must weigh a full pound--don't know why she keeps doing this because most times when she looses the hold, it falls on her face.
She uses her feet a lot to manipulate things, and seems to stretch the toes quite often.
That toy must weigh a full pound--don't know why she keeps doing this because most times when she looses the hold, it falls on her face.
She uses her feet a lot to manipulate things, and seems to stretch the toes quite often.
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Chris Carlton/Lyric
-
Sugars Mom
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1734
- Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.
Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!
I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences. - Location: Victoria BC
Re: stretching
alspyce wrote:Lyric will lay on her back, stretch front legs straight up as far as possible----while balancing her GoughNuts toy on her feet.(The same toy she uses to hold her antler while she chews it.) I've been trying to get a photo but of course, as soon as I pick up the camera, she gets up to see what I have.
That would be a cute photo! But I know what u mean about trying to get the pic...I've tried to get the stretching pic too but can't get the camera ready before she stops.
Sue (and Sugar)

- Dutchringgirl
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 5692
- Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
- Location: Ct, USA
Re: stretching
unless I have my big camera that takes the fast shots, forget it, my small camera is to slow. I want to get a zoom in of her paws stretched out.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT




- alspyce
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1222
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year! - Location: Corinth, New York
Re: stretching
Lyric's GoughNuts--this is one of her favorite behaviors, but hard to get a photo of her doing it. She tries to stretch her legs straight up while balancing things.
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Chris Carlton/Lyric
- Marjolein
- Working Dog
- Posts: 2078
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
- Location: Warbeyen, Germany
- Contact:
- felixone123
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1076
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
- Location: Fishkill, NY
- Dutchringgirl
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 5692
- Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
- Location: Ct, USA
-
Sugars Mom
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1734
- Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.
Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!
I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences. - Location: Victoria BC
-
GSDNanny
- Training Dog
- Posts: 615
- Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.
Re: stretching
RE: Lyric -- now that is TALENT!!
Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew
Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana


Facebook page.
LOVE that pic!