Hank's 10 week vet visit

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Post Reply
User avatar
Markay
Puppy
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:17 am
Tell us about yourself: I live in Charlotte NC

Hank's 10 week vet visit

Post by Markay »

I took Hank to the vet today for his shots & weigh in, he's 10 1/2 weeks old now and weighs in at 19.3 lbs! A few of the vet techs came in just to see him because they had never seen a DS, he was a big hit and is very healthy and happy. As I was leaving a gentleman approached me and said "that is not a purebred DS you have there. His tail is too long and skinny and his eyes are not dark enough." What a jerk! I'll never understand what makes people think it's OK to just spout out random info to a stranger when they clearly do not know what they're talking about!
Attachments
Hank-.jpg
Hank-.jpg (90.1 KiB) Viewed 1528 times
Hank---.jpg
Hank---.jpg (95.52 KiB) Viewed 1528 times
Catherine & Hank

Charlotte, NC
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Hank's 10 week vet visit

Post by leih merigian »

Some peoples' kids, eh?

I always say, you've gotta consider the source... :lol:

Congrats on such a great vet visit!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: Hank's 10 week vet visit

Post by Christie M »

Well, to be fair, I suppose its safe to safe that most of our dogs aren't "pure bred" as there is a high level of malinois influence in most of the non-FCI dogs. But I would also still love to see how the majority of people would stand up to the "brindle for 3 generations" vs. "brindle/fawn" cross. That would be a fun survey :D

Its been a long fight that rescue has dealt with.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Hank's 10 week vet visit

Post by Sugars Mom »

Glad to hear all is well with Hank. He is soo cute! Such a solid looking guy.
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
Drizlaru
Green Dog
Posts: 148
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:28 am
Tell us about yourself: Motivated sport dog trainer.

Re: Hank's 10 week vet visit

Post by Drizlaru »

He's adorable! Congratulations!

And as far as stupid people go... there always has to be one.
Disclaimer: This post is not intended to send anyone to grief counseling, or a mental trauma hospital. The information in this post is intended for "informational purposes only", and is a product of my own opinion.
Ben MacDonald
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:52 am
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.
Contact:

Re: Hank's 10 week vet visit

Post by CaroleBoaz »

I wouldn't be so quick to call him a jerk. There are a lot of people in NC who know about Dutch Shepherds, and he's right that it's not common for purebreds to have yellow eyes. Anyway, when people think they know more than me, I just nod politely and move on. It's not worth the rise in blood pressure.
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Hank's 10 week vet visit

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Hank is sooooooooo cute!! yeah, just let the comments roll off.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
mariposa34
Puppy
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:24 am
Tell us about yourself: Tai, Mom of 1 year old beautiful Raven FYI she has no OFF SWITCH! And 8 year old cutie pie Terra the West Highland Terrier aka The Fun Police or Officer Grumpy Tail.
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Hank's 10 week vet visit

Post by mariposa34 »

Hi he's adorable! Raven and I are also in the Charlotte Area :D I wouldn't worry about what other people say as long as he's a sweet baby who cares. Raven's sire is a malinois but we're not holding it against her lol! She is still an awesome puppy and so is Hank! Maybe they can have puppy play dates? LOL!
Tai, mom of Terra ( 8yr old F. Westie) and Raven (9mnth old F. Dutch)
User avatar
Markay
Puppy
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:17 am
Tell us about yourself: I live in Charlotte NC

Re: Hank's 10 week vet visit

Post by Markay »

I did let the comment roll off, I should have told that gentleman he himself didn't fit "breed standard" :lol:


Hanks eyes aren't yellow they are light brown, they were blue up until about 2 weeks ago. His tail is thin and long, his Moms was too. I think he's perfect & thats all that matters to me. Thanks for the positive comments everyone.

I'm sure Hank would LOVE to play with Raven anytime!
Catherine & Hank

Charlotte, NC
User avatar
k9katet
Training Dog
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:04 pm
Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility.
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Re: Hank's 10 week vet visit

Post by k9katet »

He is adorable! And his momma loves him. That's what matters. :)
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Hank's 10 week vet visit

Post by Marjolein »

Hank looks so cute!
And ehm, I doubt the guy giving the comment has ever even been close to a purebred DS, so just laugh at it :lol: Also, purebreds have too long tail and too bright eyes too, trust me :D
Image
Post Reply