Dutchies bark and hold a backyard prowler today!
-
Travis
- Puppy
- Posts: 49
- Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:56 pm
- Tell us about yourself: 1 rescue dutch shepherd
1 retired malinois (now passed)
1 pomeranian (yaps incessantly)
New micro-Dutchie addition
Dutchies bark and hold a backyard prowler today!
Crazy afternoon. The Dutchies just cornered and held a shady character that let himself into our 6 foot gated and block fenced backyard. Guy was parked two doors down at a foreclosed property with his truck running and had temporary tags on it.
Claimed he was "just an American looking to borrow some power" and had some blue electronic looking box in his hand. Not a contractor nor did he make any claim to have a legitimate reason to be either in our backyard or on the foreclosed property two doors down.
Got very upset when I took photos and vid of his truck but left before the cops arrived.
Anyways, the doggies just got a nice big helping of chicken and steaks for their job well done. Luna charges out barking several times a day at various noises so I initially didn't bother to even look when she exploded out the dog door with her big girl growl. Only when the racket continued for a bit did I go out to investigate and find her barking the guy into the wall (well inside our gated backyard) and not letting him go anywhere.
Claimed he was "just an American looking to borrow some power" and had some blue electronic looking box in his hand. Not a contractor nor did he make any claim to have a legitimate reason to be either in our backyard or on the foreclosed property two doors down.
Got very upset when I took photos and vid of his truck but left before the cops arrived.
Anyways, the doggies just got a nice big helping of chicken and steaks for their job well done. Luna charges out barking several times a day at various noises so I initially didn't bother to even look when she exploded out the dog door with her big girl growl. Only when the racket continued for a bit did I go out to investigate and find her barking the guy into the wall (well inside our gated backyard) and not letting him go anywhere.
Travis -> human (of questionable sanity)
Doggies:
Doggies:
- 1 senior NADSR rescue dutch shepherd
1 pocket Dutchie tennis ball addict
1 geriatric pomeranian (yaps incessantly)
- felixone123
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1076
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
- Location: Fishkill, NY
Re: Dutchies bark and hold a backyard prowler today!
awesome!!! I bet he was surprised when he encounter your girl
Are they protection dogs or was this natural instinct?
Are they protection dogs or was this natural instinct?
Barbara, Odin & Kai
-
Lauren
- Training Dog
- Posts: 540
- Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:29 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.
Re: Dutchies bark and hold a backyard prowler today!
Wow! Good job, Dutchies!!!
"Just looking to borrow some electricity????" People who "borrow" things come to the FRONT door and ASK!
I am so glad that they caught him! I bet he will check it out a little more carefully next time.
"Just looking to borrow some electricity????" People who "borrow" things come to the FRONT door and ASK!
I am so glad that they caught him! I bet he will check it out a little more carefully next time.
Lauren from Western NC
-
Travis
- Puppy
- Posts: 49
- Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:56 pm
- Tell us about yourself: 1 rescue dutch shepherd
1 retired malinois (now passed)
1 pomeranian (yaps incessantly)
New micro-Dutchie addition
Re: Dutchies bark and hold a backyard prowler today!
Luna's a flyball dog, social butterfly, and never done any protection work. But she's very protective of the car and house naturally.
Maxine is typically very shy but gains some confidence when Luna's around. Typically she'll poke her head out to bark at a delivery person but isn't sure if she want to actually venture out. But this time she was right in the mix and I had to take hold of her collar to escort the guy to the gate.
Both are rescues and not worked in the protection sports. But Luna's bark and hold was as clean as the competition Malinois I used to work in Schutzhund! I was so proud of our girls.
When the guy got worked up at me photographing his truck and came back towards our place raising his voice, both the Dutchies were trying to eat him through the slatted privacy gate.
Maxine is typically very shy but gains some confidence when Luna's around. Typically she'll poke her head out to bark at a delivery person but isn't sure if she want to actually venture out. But this time she was right in the mix and I had to take hold of her collar to escort the guy to the gate.
Both are rescues and not worked in the protection sports. But Luna's bark and hold was as clean as the competition Malinois I used to work in Schutzhund! I was so proud of our girls.
When the guy got worked up at me photographing his truck and came back towards our place raising his voice, both the Dutchies were trying to eat him through the slatted privacy gate.
Travis -> human (of questionable sanity)
Doggies:
Doggies:
- 1 senior NADSR rescue dutch shepherd
1 pocket Dutchie tennis ball addict
1 geriatric pomeranian (yaps incessantly)
- felixone123
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1076
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
- Location: Fishkill, NY
Re: Dutchies bark and hold a backyard prowler today!
wow - so, when put to the test they performed. You have great dogs!! I would be proud too!!
Barbara, Odin & Kai
- felixone123
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1076
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
- Location: Fishkill, NY
Re: Dutchies bark and hold a backyard prowler today!
meant to add, I would need a
after that 
Barbara, Odin & Kai
- Dutchringgirl
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 5692
- Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
- Location: Ct, USA
Re: Dutchies bark and hold a backyard prowler today!
Well done Luna!!!! Thalie and Sadie are proud of you!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT




-
Drizlaru
- Green Dog
- Posts: 148
- Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:28 am
- Tell us about yourself: Motivated sport dog trainer.
Re: Dutchies bark and hold a backyard prowler today!
Damn fine job, to both your doggies. Well done indeed. I hope the police doggies get him.Travis wrote:Crazy afternoon. The Dutchies just cornered and held a shady character that let himself into our 6 foot gated and block fenced backyard. Guy was parked two doors down at a foreclosed property with his truck running and had temporary tags on it.
Claimed he was "just an American looking to borrow some power" and had some blue electronic looking box in his hand. Not a contractor nor did he make any claim to have a legitimate reason to be either in our backyard or on the foreclosed property two doors down.
Got very upset when I took photos and vid of his truck but left before the cops arrived.
Anyways, the doggies just got a nice big helping of chicken and steaks for their job well done. Luna charges out barking several times a day at various noises so I initially didn't bother to even look when she exploded out the dog door with her big girl growl. Only when the racket continued for a bit did I go out to investigate and find her barking the guy into the wall (well inside our gated backyard) and not letting him go anywhere.

Disclaimer: This post is not intended to send anyone to grief counseling, or a mental trauma hospital. The information in this post is intended for "informational purposes only", and is a product of my own opinion.
Ben MacDonald
Ben MacDonald
-
Sugars Mom
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1734
- Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.
Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!
I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences. - Location: Victoria BC
Re: Dutchies bark and hold a backyard prowler today!
Wow! Way to go Luna and Maxine!
Nice having that peace of mind that a dog like this brings.
Great to hear nothing bad happened from all this.
Nice having that peace of mind that a dog like this brings.
Great to hear nothing bad happened from all this.
Sue (and Sugar)

- Marjolein
- Working Dog
- Posts: 2078
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
- Location: Warbeyen, Germany
- Contact:
Re: Dutchies bark and hold a backyard prowler today!
good job! They didn't bite the guy? What happens in the states if they do? Ovberhere I have a major problem if they bit a burglar, even when the ##&$&#@ has no right to be on my property 
-
Drizlaru
- Green Dog
- Posts: 148
- Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:28 am
- Tell us about yourself: Motivated sport dog trainer.
Re: Dutchies bark and hold a backyard prowler today!
Depends on what state you live in, and if they bite on your property or off. If my dogs bite an intruder on my property in the state of Maine, it's the trespassers fault. I cover my butt though and have it posted "NO TRESPASSING" and " WARNING DOGS" signs as well, that way there is no question. If they bite off my property, then I can be held liable.
Disclaimer: This post is not intended to send anyone to grief counseling, or a mental trauma hospital. The information in this post is intended for "informational purposes only", and is a product of my own opinion.
Ben MacDonald
Ben MacDonald
-
leih merigian
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.
Re: Dutchies bark and hold a backyard prowler today!
Travis, that is truly awesome!
Way to go, pooches!
Way to go, pooches!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
- ZodiacT
- Green Dog
- Posts: 117
- Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:50 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I was introduced to the Dutch Shepherd breed during my time as an Army veterinary technician working with Military Working Dogs. I fell in love with the breed and by pure chance happened to meet a DS in a local rescue who was a police K9 washout and was up for adoption. We adopted Zodiac right away and she has been an important part of our family ever since. We currently compete in Rally-Obedience and participate in Agility.
- Location: Andrews Air Force Base, MD
Re: Dutchies bark and hold a backyard prowler today!
That is so awesome, I'm impressed!
That is one of the many reasons I miss Maine and can't wait to move back up there.Drizlaru wrote:Depends on what state you live in, and if they bite on your property or off. If my dogs bite an intruder on my property in the state of Maine, it's the trespassers fault.
Hayley St.Pierre-Thomas and Zodiac RL1-AOE, RL2-AOE, CGC


-
Drizlaru
- Green Dog
- Posts: 148
- Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:28 am
- Tell us about yourself: Motivated sport dog trainer.
Re: Dutchies bark and hold a backyard prowler today!
Ohhhh anotha Mainah! Well come on back up!
Disclaimer: This post is not intended to send anyone to grief counseling, or a mental trauma hospital. The information in this post is intended for "informational purposes only", and is a product of my own opinion.
Ben MacDonald
Ben MacDonald
- vneerland
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1547
- Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
- Tell us about yourself: *
- Location: Tex@s
Re: Dutchies bark and hold a backyard prowler today!
Awesome Travis! I was hoping for a picture of your brindle duo, holding the passed out prize in front of them (like a trophy picture)
but in loo of that, how about a pic of the heroins without the captured visitor?
Judith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds 
- DSGirl
- Puppy
- Posts: 37
- Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 3:28 am
- Tell us about yourself: I have 1 Dutch Shepherd pup who is a fun boy to work. And I look forward to competing with him in the future.
Re: Dutchies bark and hold a backyard prowler today!
Wow, That is great that you had your 2 Dutchies there:) I bet that guy nearly peed his pants, lol. Good job to your 2 Dutchies 
Geneva
Dogs
Rubik - lab/hound mix
Jesse - Terrier mix
Dusty - Pit Mix
Suki - Terrier mix
April - Collie mix
Patches - Papillon
Scooter - Chi/Shih tzu mix - she is my parents dog but lives with me
Gage - Dutch Shepherd
Dogs
Rubik - lab/hound mix
Jesse - Terrier mix
Dusty - Pit Mix
Suki - Terrier mix
April - Collie mix
Patches - Papillon
Scooter - Chi/Shih tzu mix - she is my parents dog but lives with me
Gage - Dutch Shepherd
-
GSDNanny
- Training Dog
- Posts: 615
- Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.
Re: Dutchies bark and hold a backyard prowler today!
Good dogs! Good dogs! What great instincts. The guy must have been on something to intentionally walk into your yard with dogs present. What a fool!! I normally have a couple of mine in both yards outside at some point throughout the day. They hit the wood fence with a vengence if someone approaches so "bless their hearts" (southern for STUPID PERSON!) if an intruder makes it through! I do have warning signs posted as well.
You said that your's upon going outside light up and bark as a warning. My Gris does the same thing, whether I am letting her out of the house or truck, she does a quick running around looking and barking as a warning. Like that!!
You said that your's upon going outside light up and bark as a warning. My Gris does the same thing, whether I am letting her out of the house or truck, she does a quick running around looking and barking as a warning. Like that!!
Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew
Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
- k9katet
- Training Dog
- Posts: 443
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:04 pm
- Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility. - Location: Minnesota
- Contact:
Re: Dutchies bark and hold a backyard prowler today!
Nice! Good dogs!
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
http://www.k9katet.com
-
Travis
- Puppy
- Posts: 49
- Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:56 pm
- Tell us about yourself: 1 rescue dutch shepherd
1 retired malinois (now passed)
1 pomeranian (yaps incessantly)
New micro-Dutchie addition
Re: Dutchies bark and hold a backyard prowler today!
As proud of them as I am, I have noticed that they're on super high alert ever since. Luna especially has made it her newfound mission in life to patrol the fenceline and occasionally charge outside to the yard just to announce her presence in a sort of "just in case anyone was wondering, I'm still on duty" mindset.
Travis -> human (of questionable sanity)
Doggies:
Doggies:
- 1 senior NADSR rescue dutch shepherd
1 pocket Dutchie tennis ball addict
1 geriatric pomeranian (yaps incessantly)
- katm4110
- Green Dog
- Posts: 220
- Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:36 pm
- Tell us about yourself: about to adopt first dog.... 3 year old Dutch Shepherd from a rescue.... looking for tips!
Re: Dutchies bark and hold a backyard prowler today!
That's amazing! Are your dogs trained for any type of protection work or did they just sense something was wrong?
Laura, stay at home mom to 5 human babies, and two rescue dogs Stella (DS) and Nico (brindled hound mix?)


Facebook page.