Age and Height

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Post Reply
User avatar
DSGirl
Puppy
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 3:28 am
Tell us about yourself: I have 1 Dutch Shepherd pup who is a fun boy to work. And I look forward to competing with him in the future.

Age and Height

Post by DSGirl »

I was wondering around what age has everyone noticed that their Dutchie pups have reached their adult heights? Gage is my first Dutch pup, and at 6 months old as of June 3, he is only about knee level or slightly taller at his shoulders. I don't want him to be huge, but I hope that he gets a bit taller, lol:) Thanks. Here are 2 pictures that were taken a week ago to show his size.

Image

Image
Geneva

Dogs
Rubik - lab/hound mix
Jesse - Terrier mix
Dusty - Pit Mix
Suki - Terrier mix
April - Collie mix
Patches - Papillon
Scooter - Chi/Shih tzu mix - she is my parents dog but lives with me
Gage - Dutch Shepherd
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:52 am
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.
Contact:

Re: Age and Height

Post by CaroleBoaz »

You have a ways to go. Even at one year they have some more growing to do.
User avatar
DSGirl
Puppy
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 3:28 am
Tell us about yourself: I have 1 Dutch Shepherd pup who is a fun boy to work. And I look forward to competing with him in the future.

Re: Age and Height

Post by DSGirl »

That is good to know:) He certainly isn't my first puppy, not by a long shot, just my first Dutch pup. And I am eager to see what he looks like full grown. With my GSDs and my mix breeds I had noticed that by 6 months, most of them were close to their adult height, they had lots of filling out left, but were all really tall. I was hoping that the Dutchies were a little different in that area:) I guess I am getting a little impatient, lol. I love puppies but once they start getting to the 5 to 6 month range I start getting really excited and eager to see them grown. :D
Geneva

Dogs
Rubik - lab/hound mix
Jesse - Terrier mix
Dusty - Pit Mix
Suki - Terrier mix
April - Collie mix
Patches - Papillon
Scooter - Chi/Shih tzu mix - she is my parents dog but lives with me
Gage - Dutch Shepherd
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Age and Height

Post by Marjolein »

mmmh, in my experience ( only have raised 2 pups, and had 2 litters so far) the "fast" growing period ends at about 7-8 months, than they grow slower (in height that is). At about 9-11 months they reach their height, now muscle starts ot build, This might give them a bit more height, esp. in males, but not much. You will see the overall dog grow (muscle, bone) untill 3-4 years for males. Females are usually done at about 2 yrs.

I am only talking about the FCI lines that I know ;) KNPV lines could take even longer?
Image
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Age and Height

Post by Dutchringgirl »

He sure is beautiful! He has that " watcha gonna do 'bout it " look LOL
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
roxanne
Green Dog
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:23 am
Tell us about yourself: Hi.....my name is Angela. I have 2 daughters and 1 granddaughter. All of my dogs (and cats) are rescues. I have a puppy that we just adopted that I think could be at least part Dutch Shepherd. We also have a 2 year old pug/min pin mix and an 11 year old border collie and possible lab mix.

Re: Age and Height

Post by roxanne »

I've been eager to see if Roxie's ears are going to stand up! I really want them too! But I'll love her rather they are up or down.
Angela
UCD URO1 El Tango De Roxanne CD CGC
(Dutch shepherd mix)
Emmy (pug/min pin mix)
User avatar
k9katet
Training Dog
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:04 pm
Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility.
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Re: Age and Height

Post by k9katet »

He's gorgeous! My girls seemed to mature fast and then fill out but I've known others that have taken longer. I'm sure it depends on the lines.
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: Age and Height

Post by vneerland »

Uhm. Geneva? Why on earth a pinch collar on a 6 month old pup? :oops:
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Post Reply