Needing some better equipment!

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Post Reply
User avatar
alspyce
Working Dog
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Location: Corinth, New York

Needing some better equipment!

Post by alspyce »

I've been using a scrap of 1x12 board, about a 18 inches long, as a marker for Lyric to stand on while trying to get her to work at a distance on a few behaviors. Because she always wants to be right on top of me at all times, she constantly tries to creep forward (should be great at crawling when we get around to that), so I used this scrap of wood just to start with, and give her a target outside. (Inside she has a matt/rug thing--I was just too lazy to go in and get it) :oops:
Things were going well for a few days--she knows to go to it, and that she's supposed to stay at that spot while doing some very basic behaviors at about 7 feet away from me. THEN she figures out how to scoot the board forward with her nose and quickly jump back onto it with both front feet, tail wagging, expecting a reward for this brilliant new behavior she has offered up. :roll:
Today I'm going to the hardware store to look for better equipment.
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Needing some better equipment!

Post by Sugars Mom »

LOL, OMG that is sooo cute and funny and SMART!
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Needing some better equipment!

Post by Dutchringgirl »

HAHAHAH I love how smart they are!! When we were working on change of positions in a box away from us, we would back tie them to something.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Needing some better equipment!

Post by leih merigian »

:lol:

they are so freaking funny!

And, you mentioned crawling...we're working on that one now, with very minimal success...
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
User avatar
Choochi
Training Dog
Posts: 350
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:16 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.
Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Needing some better equipment!

Post by Choochi »

GET HER ON A SKATE BOARD!!! :D
That's too funny!
Choochi
Post Reply