
Where is the dang on OFF SWITCH!!!!!!
- mariposa34
- Puppy
- Posts: 88
- Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:24 am
- Tell us about yourself: Tai, Mom of 1 year old beautiful Raven FYI she has no OFF SWITCH! And 8 year old cutie pie Terra the West Highland Terrier aka The Fun Police or Officer Grumpy Tail.
- Location: Charlotte, NC
Where is the dang on OFF SWITCH!!!!!!

Last edited by mariposa34 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tai, mom of Terra ( 8yr old F. Westie) and Raven (9mnth old F. Dutch)
- mariposa34
- Puppy
- Posts: 88
- Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:24 am
- Tell us about yourself: Tai, Mom of 1 year old beautiful Raven FYI she has no OFF SWITCH! And 8 year old cutie pie Terra the West Highland Terrier aka The Fun Police or Officer Grumpy Tail.
- Location: Charlotte, NC
Re: Where is the dang on OFF SWITCH!!!!!!
I did the picture wrong again
sorry
Oh nope it worked YAY!
Tai, mom of Terra ( 8yr old F. Westie) and Raven (9mnth old F. Dutch)
- icvanstra
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1153
- Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:33 am
- Tell us about yourself: .
- Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort
Re: Where is the dang on OFF SWITCH!!!!!!
It is definitely there! Just really hard to find at 5 months.
Have you been working down/stay in the house? That is when the outline of the off switch may appear.
Have you been working down/stay in the house? That is when the outline of the off switch may appear.
Eric
- - Cino vom Foxtal
- Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
- Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
-
ICE
- Training Dog
- Posts: 281
- Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:32 am
- Tell us about yourself: I have a 12 week old dutch shepherd that my trainer got for me to train in schutzhund. This is my 1st dutch shepherd, I have always had german shepherds. Currently, I have 4 dogs.
Re: Where is the dang on OFF SWITCH!!!!!!
Ha ha ha! Sorry just had to laugh.... My dutchies is almost 10 months - there is an off switch but it is really hard to find!!! He is the youngest of 4 dogs and he is a NUT!!!!! Even the other dogs are like stop crazy dog!!! I do not want to play with you!!!!!!!
He is non-stop!! We play, we run, we work obedience it is never enough for him. When we come inside to rest - he will lay down (without the crate) but if I even uncross my legs he is up and ready to run!!! It does get better but it does take time!! You have maybe another 2-3 months and you will see the outline of the off switch..... 
Patty and Ice
- mariposa34
- Puppy
- Posts: 88
- Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:24 am
- Tell us about yourself: Tai, Mom of 1 year old beautiful Raven FYI she has no OFF SWITCH! And 8 year old cutie pie Terra the West Highland Terrier aka The Fun Police or Officer Grumpy Tail.
- Location: Charlotte, NC
Re: Where is the dang on OFF SWITCH!!!!!!
No no no stop laughing! LOL! Eric I need to update my signature as Raven is actually 9mnths old now and I'm telling you there is no OFF switch anywhere! I even checked her belly which she gladly rolled over and spread eagle for me to do while she gnawed on my ankle......Yes we practice sit/stay/down and everything in the house and she's freaking awesome at it but as soon as my husband leaves for work it's like GO! Last night as I was sitting here contemplating where else I could look for the off switch or possibly three 3's (you know for half evil) marked under her fur I realized that it was absolutely quite. The fun police Terra the westie was snoring in the chair behind me and it was utterly peaceful.....and then panic set in and I jumped up thinking OMG WHO DID RAVEN EAT< WHAT DID RAVEN EAT>WHAT DID SHE POOP ON!!!!! I turn around and she's laying on the floor with a dead squeaky ball in her mouth. I tried to sneak a treat so I could give it to her and praise her for being calm but as soon as I even twitched a muscle........she had this dang on rope in her mouth shoving it in my face and the fun police was growling and grumping at me again.......SIGH! Ice I don't believe Raven has even an outline of a switch, nope not even a shadow. She trains with the police departments K9 units and they keep offering to buy her from me and I'm like....."Yeah I know she's awesome I taught her that. Wait how much? Wanna sell me one of your kids? No? Then stop asking me about mine!" LOL!
Tai, mom of Terra ( 8yr old F. Westie) and Raven (9mnth old F. Dutch)
- Aztechalo
- Puppy
- Posts: 58
- Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:01 am
- Tell us about yourself: I live in North Monterey County, CA with my husband, three step kids, one gorgeous and wonderful Dutch Shepherd and a whole bunch of livestock type animals. The humans are into sustainable farming, the dog is into chasing deer and digging up gophers. My day job is an Operations Supervisor at Santa Cruz Regional 911. One of these days, I'm going to get another DS.
- Contact:
Re: Where is the dang on OFF SWITCH!!!!!!
Ha ha ha! It gets better, I promise. Somewhere around three years, you're going to look over at your napping dog and think, "Maybe we're ready for a puppy." I think this may ne what child birth is like. We are programed to forget the pain.
Marsha and Chaos (4 yo, DS)
In all Chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order.
-Carl Jung
In all Chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order.
-Carl Jung
-
ICE
- Training Dog
- Posts: 281
- Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:32 am
- Tell us about yourself: I have a 12 week old dutch shepherd that my trainer got for me to train in schutzhund. This is my 1st dutch shepherd, I have always had german shepherds. Currently, I have 4 dogs.
- Dutchringgirl
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 5692
- Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
- Location: Ct, USA
Re: Where is the dang on OFF SWITCH!!!!!!
HAHAHA, I went through the same thing!! when Sadie was a pup, I would sit in my office and work and she and Thalie would fall asleep, but I could NOT get up! One tiny move and Sadie was up and ready to go. Id say about approaching 1 year they develope an off switch. From a year or so Sadie would stop when I stopped. I also worked alot on the down stay so that helps. Dont worry, it will happen, although later not sooner.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT




-
leih merigian
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.
Re: Where is the dang on OFF SWITCH!!!!!!
BTDT
I love the Xpen I bought this time around. Geyser spent a lot of time in it until she was around 10 months old, ditto the great dane sized wire crate in the front room. I believe you actually have to teach them to find the off switch themselves
I'm not saying it's not a challenge, mind you
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
- mariposa34
- Puppy
- Posts: 88
- Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:24 am
- Tell us about yourself: Tai, Mom of 1 year old beautiful Raven FYI she has no OFF SWITCH! And 8 year old cutie pie Terra the West Highland Terrier aka The Fun Police or Officer Grumpy Tail.
- Location: Charlotte, NC
Re: Where is the dang on OFF SWITCH!!!!!!
Yea that kennel is a life saver let me tell ya lol! She is knocked out in it right now as we speak with her legs up in the air! She hit the sleeve today and played Frisbee and ball. She's not off mind you she's just on pause.....
Tai, mom of Terra ( 8yr old F. Westie) and Raven (9mnth old F. Dutch)
- icvanstra
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1153
- Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:33 am
- Tell us about yourself: .
- Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort
Re: Where is the dang on OFF SWITCH!!!!!!
Cino just turned five. Not sure when he finally found his internal off switch... He has finally figured out that is it okay to just chill next to me when I'm working from home. Plus I don't have to crate him 100% of the time when I'm gone any more.
Yet he still has that ever vigilant / always on duty quality about him. Can amazingly leap from the ground onto the seat of my truck as if it took no effort. let's not even begin to talk about showing him a the chuck-it. Or how fast he learned how to retrieve the new soft frisbee everyone is talking about.
...
Went to a friends on Sunday to help him out and took the dogs to play with his dogs. The wife was outside playing with the chuck-it with their bigger dog and Cino -she just kept talking about how fast Cino was and how he could corner and leap and ...
Yet he still has that ever vigilant / always on duty quality about him. Can amazingly leap from the ground onto the seat of my truck as if it took no effort. let's not even begin to talk about showing him a the chuck-it. Or how fast he learned how to retrieve the new soft frisbee everyone is talking about.
...
Went to a friends on Sunday to help him out and took the dogs to play with his dogs. The wife was outside playing with the chuck-it with their bigger dog and Cino -she just kept talking about how fast Cino was and how he could corner and leap and ...
Eric
- - Cino vom Foxtal
- Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
- Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
- vneerland
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1547
- Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
- Tell us about yourself: *
- Location: Tex@s
Re: Where is the dang on OFF SWITCH!!!!!!
Mind you, all the wild, wilder, wildest games, like bitework and such are NOT going to help when you want to teach your dog to chill. "Crazy" is often factory installed and it is in everyone's best interest to lead all the talent and drive in a manageable direction. Do not go running. But teach them to crate (and chilll) instead, because otherwise -been there, done that- you are just building stamina and they will harass you longer and longer and longer.
Judith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds 
- roxanne
- Green Dog
- Posts: 135
- Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:23 am
- Tell us about yourself: Hi.....my name is Angela. I have 2 daughters and 1 granddaughter. All of my dogs (and cats) are rescues. I have a puppy that we just adopted that I think could be at least part Dutch Shepherd. We also have a 2 year old pug/min pin mix and an 11 year old border collie and possible lab mix.
Re: Where is the dang on OFF SWITCH!!!!!!
Whatever else is in Roxie must be a very mellow breed. She does have lots of energy, don't get me wrong. Just not like I'm getting from your descriptions! She runs and plays but she also takes lots of naps when she comes in. Our biggest thing right now is that she has started to defend herself around our little bully. We can not leave food or anything that could be percieved as food within reach of them. The min pin/pug thinks she weighs about 100 pounds.
Angela
UCD URO1 El Tango De Roxanne CD CGC
(Dutch shepherd mix)
Emmy (pug/min pin mix)
UCD URO1 El Tango De Roxanne CD CGC
(Dutch shepherd mix)
Emmy (pug/min pin mix)
- goodomens
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 16
- Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:47 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Adventures galore!
Re: Where is the dang on OFF SWITCH!!!!!!
Jetson hasn't gotten to that part of the Dutch Shepherd manual about an off switch
He's an angel in his kennel so long as the cat isn't teasing him. 
Jessica and jetson (and occasionally mike)
- mariposa34
- Puppy
- Posts: 88
- Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:24 am
- Tell us about yourself: Tai, Mom of 1 year old beautiful Raven FYI she has no OFF SWITCH! And 8 year old cutie pie Terra the West Highland Terrier aka The Fun Police or Officer Grumpy Tail.
- Location: Charlotte, NC
Re: Where is the dang on OFF SWITCH!!!!!!
Oh boy lol! Yeah I heard the police chief say she needs to go to the navy seals because she is DYNAMITE! LOL! She will start bomb sniffing training soon. Right now I already can't hide anything from her........Now if she could only learn "Find Mommies keys or Find Mommies cellphone" that would be awesome! She is actually pretty good in her kennel unless Officer Grumpy Tail is teasing her.......In all actuality I really have no problems with her energy lol! I love it. I used to be a sit on my behind all day kind of person before I got her. Now I am training for a marathon already up to 7 miles. Walking & jogging, playing Frisbee, ball and just generally not sitting still. I've even convinced her to dance with me lol! Since I've had her my blood pressure has gone down and I feel healthier and happier. She is my BIG BRINDLE RAY OF SUNSHINE!
Tai, mom of Terra ( 8yr old F. Westie) and Raven (9mnth old F. Dutch)
- Choochi
- Training Dog
- Posts: 350
- Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:16 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.
- Location: Toronto, ON
Re: Where is the dang on OFF SWITCH!!!!!!
hehe and this is why I love my two brindlies, when it's time to Go Go Go they are nuts, but in the house they are awesome at just chilling and being lazy couch or floor dogs. They do have their crazy moments, mornings especially they're two loose cannon balls, but they know how to relax and are very pleasant to have around.
Choochi
- MinaHerdershonden
- Puppy
- Posts: 67
- Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:40 am
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Anna and i'm 19 years old, I volunteer most of my time and half of which goes to OCAS shelter which is where I found Mina who was 7 months old at the time.
I live in chapel hill, NC. Soon to be near ashville NC as I will be attending Warren Wilson College. - Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Re: Where is the dang on OFF SWITCH!!!!!!
My Mina has been this way till now that shes hit a year old shes finally started to be less crazy 24/7 she is able to be calm in the house for the most part now, where as before I had to bike with her for miles EVERY day or she was nuts and couldn't function in a normal manner lol
I'm Anna.
From Chapel Hill, NC.
Short haired dark/gold brindle:
Mina.

:D
From Chapel Hill, NC.
Short haired dark/gold brindle:
Mina.

:D
- felixone123
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1076
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
- Location: Fishkill, NY
Re: Where is the dang on OFF SWITCH!!!!!!
could not have said it better!! so true.vneerland wrote:Mind you, all the wild, wilder, wildest games, like bitework and such are NOT going to help when you want to teach your dog to chill. "Crazy" is often factory installed and it is in everyone's best interest to lead all the talent and drive in a manageable direction. Do not go running. But teach them to crate (and chilll) instead, because otherwise -been there, done that- you are just building stamina and they will harass you longer and longer and longer.
Barbara, Odin & Kai
- MinaHerdershonden
- Puppy
- Posts: 67
- Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:40 am
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Anna and i'm 19 years old, I volunteer most of my time and half of which goes to OCAS shelter which is where I found Mina who was 7 months old at the time.
I live in chapel hill, NC. Soon to be near ashville NC as I will be attending Warren Wilson College. - Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Re: Where is the dang on OFF SWITCH!!!!!!
Hahahahaha yesss /\ I would bike with Mina a few miles and then crate her for an hour and then let her out IF she would lay on the couch in a calm manner. If I didn't crate her right after she would be CRAZY and wound-up!
|
|
I'm Anna.
From Chapel Hill, NC.
Short haired dark/gold brindle:
Mina.

:D
From Chapel Hill, NC.
Short haired dark/gold brindle:
Mina.

:D
-
Sugars Mom
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1734
- Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.
Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!
I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences. - Location: Victoria BC
Re: Where is the dang on OFF SWITCH!!!!!!
I have to agree...my dog can be the first at the park, run, run, run, then be the last dog to leave, and she would still want to run (pull) home. But she has learnt to chill and is quite mellow at home at the ripe old age of 2.
Sue (and Sugar)



Facebook page.