Geyser Update

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Geyser Update

Post by leih merigian »

Well, she had her first dose of antibiotics around 11:30 AM, as well as the pain meds, and by 4PM, I had my old dog back. A very good sign, as long as it's not just the pain meds :mrgreen: .

My vet said that if it was an infection, it'd respond very quickly to the antibiotics...so we'll see how it goes tomorrow. I'm thinking infection, that's for sure :D

(This dog is my shadow, and we're together 24/7. It was so strange for her to park herself yesterday and then just stay put, regardless of what I was doing around the house.)
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Geyser Update

Post by Dutchringgirl »

oh that is so good! I know what you mean about being your shadow. Thalie and Sadie are a part of me, where ever I go they go, Its a stripy train. You know something is wrong when they dont follow you.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Geyser Update

Post by leih merigian »

The lab results that were supposed to come back in ten days came back yesterday. They must not be very busy or something :D . Works for me!

Their results said she has reactive lymphoid hyperplasia. Sounds big and nasty, don't it? Actually, all it means is that her lymph nodes are reacting to something in her body . Now, this could be anything up to lymphoma, but any "antigenic" thing (meaning it causes antibodies to form).

The lab recommended removing the lymph node and sending it in for inspection. Seems kind of drastic to me a this point. Fortunado, my vet agrees. We're going in for a recheck next Tuesday, and if my vet doesn't like what she sees, she'll do a biopsy.

While we're not out of the woods yet, this result is a whole lot better than it could have been. However, there are lots of problems with taking aspirates (when they remove cells from an area with a needle), in the sense that the results can be inconclusive (whatever the antigenic is may not be throughout the node, and the needle missed that area, or the cells, which are notoriously fragile, got smashed in preparing the slide, etc.).

I love learning new things, and I sure am learning a lot now, but I could do without this particular lesson, that's for damn sure :lol: . I guess Geyser didn't get that memo...
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Geyser Update

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Interesting. Its nice when the lab results come back sooner!!!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
felixone123
Working Dog
Posts: 1076
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
Location: Fishkill, NY

Re: Geyser Update

Post by felixone123 »

Sending you and Geyser good thoughts!! Sounds so frustrating. You give that girl a big hug and kiss :mrgreen:
Barbara, Odin & Kai
User avatar
k9katet
Training Dog
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:04 pm
Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility.
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Re: Geyser Update

Post by k9katet »

I hope it all works out ok. Sounds like you guys are on the right path.
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: Geyser Update

Post by vneerland »

Catching up. Lots of well wishes and some more (future) questions about what the heck cooling foods are. :oops:
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: Geyser Update

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Lots of hugs and kisses from us.

Reading all this, I am appreciating my holistic vet even more who diagoses my guys through communication, i.e. no biotopsy, lab tests and such needed. Unfortunately, in my Ben's case it was bone cancer. She just touched the area, closed her eyes, and there were the results, unfortunately, right on. :eek:

But Geyser is young and her immune system is trying to deal with whoever/whatever the "intruder" is. IMO, the nutritional support to deal with this is most important. The "cooling" foods might be very helpful.
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: Geyser Update

Post by Christie M »

vneerland wrote:Catching up. Lots of well wishes and some more (future) questions about what the heck cooling foods are. :oops:
Hey Judith,

I honestly don't understand the ins and outs of it all. It was explained to me that one way that various aliments can be identified is through whether the body is too hot or too cool. A dog with skin conditions, or hot spots, would be too hot and therefore benefit from cooling foods and herbs.

With my Malignant Hyperthermia dog, I started to say to the vet "But I don't understand how diet is going to alter the calcium out pour from the skeletal muscles that cause....." She just cut me off and said "Hot dog, cooing foods. It doesn't matter why." So although it sounds like voodoo to me, it worked with that one issue.

Here is the chart she sent me.
Attachments
WarmCoolFoods.jpg
WarmCoolFoods.jpg (2.13 MiB) Viewed 2209 times
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Geyser Update

Post by Marjolein »

How is Geyser doing now?
Image
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: Geyser Update

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Marco wants now some Alligator. :roll: No problem, we are in Florida, I go and get you some :eek:

Anyway, thanks for posting the chart, very interesting!
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Geyser Update

Post by Sugars Mom »

Seeing dolphin on the list is surprising...exspecially after seeing the eye opening movie "The Cove"
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: Geyser Update

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Sugars Mom wrote:Seeing dolphin on the list is surprising...exspecially after seeing the eye opening movie "The Cove"
I believe they meant the fish not the mamal, also called Mahi-Mahi.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coryphaenidae

I was also upset when I was in Florida for the fist time and saw "Dolphin" on restaurant's menue. :mrgreen:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Geyser Update

Post by Sugars Mom »

Hmmm, ya think...its listed beside shark, not cod....anyway, dolphin meat is extremely high in mercury not to mention the inhumane killing practices :axe:

Sorry to get :offtopic:
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: Geyser Update

Post by Christie M »

I don't think the list was created by American's for our standards or ethics :D I'm pretty sure it was created in the East where Dolphin and whale are commonly eaten (not sure which kind of dolphin). Further evidence of this is that there is no Bison (which is supposed to be cooling) - a totally American resource.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
User avatar
k9katet
Training Dog
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:04 pm
Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility.
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Re: Geyser Update

Post by k9katet »

We fed Copper a lot of rabbit to help cool his body from the inflammation of arthritis.
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: Geyser Update

Post by vneerland »

My question is, does it really help? :oops: I am obviously hard to convince
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: Geyser Update

Post by Christie M »

vneerland wrote:My question is, does it really help? :oops: I am obviously hard to convince
I can only speak to my 2 cases (brother and sister). I had Brass from day one and she was about 10 months when we discovered she had an overheating disorder. It was a 60ish degree day and we were just playing fetch - which was like crack to her - and after about 10 minutes she was panting excessively and almost lateral....although she would go again if I asked her. On a whim I temped her and she maxed out my thermometer that went up to 108.

I lived at the vet clinic, so I ran across the parking lot with her to use one of their thermometers and she wouldn't register on any of them - putting her in excess of 109ish. She was hot and tired, but still responsive. One of the docs I worked for called the neurology center and asked advice. I was told not to let her waltz across the yard again, as she may drop dead. LOL. That was not possible. I spent the next 2 months on a fact finding mission about Canine Malignant Hyperthermia. We ran tests at the neurologist and I was fortunate enough to sit down with the person who isolated the gene in Labradors for Exercise Induced Collapse....which seems to be the same thing - just in different genetic places per breed.

In all of this, all I was told was try to keep her quiet (not possible) and carry Dantrolene - the only known antidote to counteract the calcium outpour. I carried a crash kit every where, including camp which is how I came to discuss it with Dr. Lisa. She never told me to stop being prepared via modern medicine. But her whole point was, I was told there is nothing but treatment when a situation occurs. Maybe try something different as a preventative and see if it works.

I have always been a skeptic, and still am in other situations. But in this one, it worked amazingly. 4 weeks on the new diet and Brass was normal for the first time in her life. After working HARD, she was only 105ish. She has been maintained as a working K9 with no issues for the last 4 years. I got her sibling back at one point to train, and he registered high after work also. Switched his diet and never a problem since.

I don't know if it is a neurological issue, a dietary intollerance or what. But I absolutely know that diet was the only thing that consistently effected the working body temperatures of these dogs, as well as the resting temp. So I don't know why it works. And I haven't jumped in for any more remedies. But on this one situation I am CONVINCED and will always default to with an over heating dog. Always. You can't go from "should be dead" to "normal" without something working correctly.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: Geyser Update

Post by Schlussdibusti »

If I may ask, what exactly are you feeding?
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Geyser Update

Post by leih merigian »

Somehow, we dodged this bullet.

Had Geyser in for her recheck this week, and her lymph node is nearly gone. I had hoped so much that we wouldn't have to go thru a biopsy, and was so relieved that she was doing so well. Now we take an additional course of antibiotics, and recheck in another two weeks.

My vet is totally flummoxed as to what got Geyser's gland infected.

For me, I'm ready for her to stop coming up with all these mysetery illnesses.

@Christie,
I find it interesting that there seem to be a fair number of DS with this sort of condition. I've heard from another forum member who thinks their DS may be exercise intolerant, too. Considering how few of them are in this country, it seems like a high percentage, yet you don't hear anything about this when you're researching the breed, especially those of us switching to DS for primarily health reasons :mrgreen: .
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Post Reply