not sure which classes to take

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Post Reply
User avatar
katm4110
Green Dog
Posts: 220
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:36 pm
Tell us about yourself: about to adopt first dog.... 3 year old Dutch Shepherd from a rescue.... looking for tips!

not sure which classes to take

Post by katm4110 »

We were going to take some leash training classes but Stella walks and runs beautifully with just her regular collar. The only time she needs to be redirected is when she sees a squirrel. Should we opt for some basic obedience? I'd like to teach her to stay put when I want her to. We've done the basic sit, shake, and down lol. She catches on so fast!
Laura, stay at home mom to 5 human babies, and two rescue dogs Stella (DS) and Nico (brindled hound mix?)
User avatar
roxanne
Green Dog
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:23 am
Tell us about yourself: Hi.....my name is Angela. I have 2 daughters and 1 granddaughter. All of my dogs (and cats) are rescues. I have a puppy that we just adopted that I think could be at least part Dutch Shepherd. We also have a 2 year old pug/min pin mix and an 11 year old border collie and possible lab mix.

Re: not sure which classes to take

Post by roxanne »

I would suggest a beginner's obedience class at a local club. That's usually the starting point for the adult dogs.
Angela
UCD URO1 El Tango De Roxanne CD CGC
(Dutch shepherd mix)
Emmy (pug/min pin mix)
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: not sure which classes to take

Post by Marjolein »

obedience sounds like a good start, from there on you can figure out what you, as a team, like best, and move onto the next class.
Image
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: not sure which classes to take

Post by vneerland »

Agreed. Just regular obedience for starters.
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Post Reply