New to the breed!

For our new members to introduce themselves
veneravmehah
Just Whelped
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:04 pm
Tell us about yourself: Proud Dutch Shepherd mix momma who works with dogs and rescues pit bulls.
Location: Rochester, NY

New to the breed!

Post by veneravmehah »

Hello, everyone! My name is Cassandra and I have a two year old Dutch mix named Boris. I just recently found out he was part dutch after DNA testing him out of sheer curiosity. I had always thought he was a german shepherd/ pit bull mix. Since I have started becoming more interested in training and fulfilling not just the pit bull in him, I was recommended to get him tested by a trainer I work with as he has trained many dogs for schutzhund and believed he was indeed a dutch shepherd mix. The more I read about the breed, the more I realize how much my dog is the dutch shepherd rather than a pit bull.

Boris and I are currently training for his CGC at the moment and we'd like to get into therapy work. He is very sweet and silly but loves to work as well. He's very trainable, usually picking up on new training in a matter of minutes. We live with six cats, three of whom he grown up with since 8 weeks old and he herds them all the time.

I'm so excited I found this forum. I hope I can continue to further my education about this breed so that I can strengthen my bond with my dog. Here's a few pictures of him and his sister (who looks very much like a Dutch Shepherd, from the same liter as well) and random shots of him. I look forward to getting to know all of you!

Image
Boris and his sister, Tsoupi at six months.

Image
Brother and sister at 1 year

Image
Typically his ears do not stand up...

Image
But when he gets excited they stand up.

Image
We call them his mischief ears.

Image
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: New to the breed!

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Welcome to the forum!

Last pic would be a great submission for this month's contest "Me and my dog" ;)
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: New to the breed!

Post by vneerland »

Welcome Cassandra and Boris!
I agree: you are all set up for the photo contest this month already!
There are pictures in which Boris looks very DS. And other pictures in which he looks very much Pit (ish) to me.
(I am stunned that DNA would come back as DS. I bet that if I submitted my DS's they would not come back as that, even though they are) Regardless of what Boris is: welcome here. We love having you. 8-)
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: New to the breed!

Post by Christie M »

vneerland wrote: (I am stunned that DNA would come back as DS. I bet that if I submitted my DS's they would not come back as that, even though they are) Regardless of what Boris is: welcome here. We love having you. 8-)
I was thinking the same thing. I didn't even realize the breed had been added to any of the databases. Can you tell me which company you used?

He is a handsome boy for sure! And obviously very lucky to have been rescued and ended up in your home!

Please take a moment and set up a signature for yourself (including your name) by visiting the User Control Panel. It helps folks like me remember who is who! Thanks and welcome!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
johninny
Working Dog
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
Location: NH/hamptons/nyc

Re: New to the breed!

Post by johninny »

from various articles and reviews i have read, tests based on the Wisdom Panel from MARS Veterinary offer the most reasonable results. the best article i have read is from Veterinary Information Network - actually addresses the science a bit and offers explanation, review, etc [ articleId=23206 ]. WOW! just noticed i'm a 'puppy' now!
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
User avatar
hawksnest
Just Whelped
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:33 pm
Tell us about yourself: We have a 13 acre hobby farm in MN just outside Minneapolis/St.Paul in the USA. We rescued our dog, Copper, from the Humane Society in December 2011 when he was a year old. They said he was a shepherd mix, although we guess that from pictures on this forum that he is a dutch shepherd!

Re: New to the breed!

Post by hawksnest »

veneravmehah wrote:Hello, everyone! My name is Cassandra and I have a two year old Dutch mix named Boris. I just recently found out he was part dutch after DNA testing him out of sheer curiosity. I had always thought he was a german shepherd/ pit bull mix. Since I have started becoming more interested in training and fulfilling not just the pit bull in him, I was recommended to get him tested by a trainer I work with as he has trained many dogs for schutzhund and believed he was indeed a dutch shepherd mix. The more I read about the breed, the more I realize how much my dog is the dutch shepherd rather than a pit bull.

Boris and I are currently training for his CGC at the moment and we'd like to get into therapy work. He is very sweet and silly but loves to work as well. He's very trainable, usually picking up on new training in a matter of minutes. We live with six cats, three of whom he grown up with since 8 weeks old and he herds them all the time.

I'm so excited I found this forum. I hope I can continue to further my education about this breed so that I can strengthen my bond with my dog. Here's a few pictures of him and his sister (who looks very much like a Dutch Shepherd, from the same liter as well) and random shots of him. I look forward to getting to know all of you!
Hi, I am new to this forum too...and likewise I am so glad to find it too. The shelter we got Copper from called him a shepherd mix. We had been thinking he had some plott hound with shepherd because he came from Alabama originally. Plotts are common in the south. But now that I've found this forum and all the pics here, I think Copper may have just been a runty DS! Where did you have the DNA test done and how much did it cost? I may want to know more about our dog Copper too. Thanks!
Paula
"hawksnest" is Paula at Hawks Nest Farm in Minnesota
Our dog's name is Copper! Follow us at:
http://www.facebook.com/hawksnestfarm
http://www.twitter.com/hawksnestfarm
http://hawksnestfarm.blogspot.com
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: New to the breed!

Post by Marjolein »

Welcome to the forum :D

About the test: I know the Dutch breed club has tried to make a profile for DS, they used a truck load of FCI DS DNA profiles to try and create one, conclusion was: it's impossible ;)
So who ever offered the test, is comparing to an non excisting database :? Did you have to send pictures along with the DNA sample??

Anyway, he is handsome, and looks like he's one of your best friends 8-) So forget about the testing :mrgreen:
Image
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: New to the breed!

Post by vneerland »

Marjolein wrote:About the test: I know the Dutch breed club has tried to make a profile for DS, they used a truck load of FCI DS DNA profiles to try and create one, conclusion was: it's impossible ;)
So who ever offered the test, is comparing to an non excisting database :? Did you have to send pictures along with the DNA sample??
I agree that a DNA test would not be reliable proof of anything. :oops:
With that being said, Marjolein, the NHC wanted to distinguish the KNPV DS from the FCI DS. That turned out to be virtually impossible. ;) (Geez, I wonder why) :player:
That does not, at the same time, imply that it is impossible to distinguish a...oh...let's say Labrador from a Shepherd type (genetically). I fiercely doubt though, that they even have enough DNA material to make an educated statement about any dog being DS. If I remember correctly, people were asked to send in their *instert breed* and the material would be used to compile a database. Not a very scientific approach, is it? :?

BTW. the above remark is certainly meant as a general remark, and in no way an attack on anyone or their dog.
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: New to the breed!

Post by leih merigian »

vneerland wrote:With that being said, Marjolein, the NHC wanted to distinguish the KNPV DS from the FCI DS. That turned out to be virtually impossible. ;) (Geez, I wonder why) :player:
:lmao:
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: New to the breed!

Post by vneerland »

leih merigian wrote:
vneerland wrote:With that being said, Marjolein, the NHC wanted to distinguish the KNPV DS from the FCI DS. That turned out to be virtually impossible. ;) (Geez, I wonder why) :player:
:lmao:
Did I say something funny? :g_wink:
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
User avatar
wahinelf
Green Dog
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:18 am
Tell us about yourself: I recently moved from CA to MA (10/12), Ellie (my 4 year old DS mix) and I are adjusting together!
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: New to the breed!

Post by wahinelf »

You have some great shots of your pup! Welcome!
-Aubrey

Image

Eleanor CGC FM TF-II, my 5YO DSX
User avatar
feraloup
Training Dog
Posts: 352
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:45 pm
Tell us about yourself: Artist, Mother, Equestrienne, Educator, Homesteader wannabe, dog-lover. Not counting my current DS, I have had 2 GSDs and 3 rescued mixed-breeds. All of these dogs were rescues, except for my childhood GSD, who was a gift from my parents when I was 7, and my current DS who I bartered artwork for from the breeder. Maiyou, one of my current dogs, is a Pitbull/New Guinea Singing Dog of 13 years old. Still very active and "Young" in nature. I now also have a DS named Mokume, (pronounced "Moh-koo-meh") or "Moko" for short. Newest member of our pack is Freyja, a random mixed hound I rescued during a horseback trip in the middle of a state forest.
Location: VT

Re: New to the breed!

Post by feraloup »

Just a possible thought on the DNA thing, there's been looooots of talk about DNA profiling and markers and alleles, etc... On the Singing Dog forums I also participate in. A lot of it with having to do with testing for purity vs. Hybrids, as they are a rare subspecies and a lot of concern and consideration is going into conservation efforts with a limited gene pool.

Disclaimer: I am not in any way a geneticist or even a biologist! *lol* I'm just musing out loud...

It could be, that as someone mentioned before it's probably possible to narrow down a DNA sample into a generalized "Shepherd-type" category, let's say, lumping together GSD, DS, and Belgian Shepherds (in all coat variants,) in one group. Then, even if they didn't have enough solid DS samples to compare with, if they've narrowed her dog's sample down to "A Shepherd-type" and then it didn't match with any of their Belgian or German Shepherd samples, by default, categorized it as Dutch Shepherd by process of elimination? *shrugs* As I said, just pondering.

With Singers, there's been a lot of talk about the work of the late Dr. Wilton and his collegues, who confirmed that Australian Dingos and New Guinea Singing Dogs are genetically distinct from all other canis familiaris, though harder to distinguish from one another. Ongoing efforts to further refine testing and assesment to perfect being able to tell Dingo from Singer and progress in that area is a recurring hot topic on some of those forums.

Either way, again, as said before, in the long run does it truly matter? *grin* You have a beautiful happy dog, and that's what's important, right? :D
Autumn Dufresne

"If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them, and what you do not know, you will fear. What one fears, one destroys." ~Chief Dan George
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: New to the breed!

Post by Marjolein »

vneerland wrote: I agree that a DNA test would not be reliable proof of anything. :oops:
With that being said, Marjolein, the NHC wanted to distinguish the KNPV DS from the FCI DS. That turned out to be virtually impossible. ;) (Geez, I wonder why) :player:
:mrgreen:
Yes, BUT, in order to do so, the first thing they were doing, was trying to create a profile for the breed. I believe the main issue was, that there were no differences between the DNA profile for malinois (FCI) and DS. Therefore, there was no profile. They never even got to the point of comparing it to KNPV lineage dogs, the people who were willing to give DNA of their KNPV lineage dogs, have never send in any material because it made no sense, as there was no clear profile for DS. The DNA send in was all from several NHC organised events, where people with a FCI DS were asked to give DNA, chip was checked etc. So the idea was good, but mali and DS are too much alike ;) (yeah, I know....)

This was a project lead by NHC, only for DS. After they had enough material, the laboratory concluded it was impossible to make a DS profile, not that KNPV were no different from FCI, they never even got to that point ;) Which would have been rather interesting :player:
Image
Selena
Green Dog
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:57 pm
Tell us about yourself: My name is Selena van Leeuwen, 35 yo, married to Dick. We have 2 children, a boy just turned 3 and a girl who will be 2 in may. We breed xHH, we developed our own bloodline with in mind how a PSD should be in our eyes.
Location: Scherpenzeel, fr, the netherlands
Contact:

Re: New to the breed!

Post by Selena »

Not much difference in those too ;-)
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: New to the breed!

Post by vneerland »

Marjolein wrote:Yes, BUT, in order to do so, the first thing they were doing, was trying to create a profile for the breed. I believe the main issue was, that there were no differences between the DNA profile for malinois (FCI) and DS. Therefore, there was no profile. They never even got to the point of comparing it to KNPV lineage dogs, the people who were willing to give DNA of their KNPV lineage dogs, have never send in any material because it made no sense, as there was no clear profile for DS. The DNA send in was all from several NHC organised events, where people with a FCI DS were asked to give DNA, chip was checked etc. So the idea was good, but mali and DS are too much alike ;) (yeah, I know....)

This was a project lead by NHC, only for DS. After they had enough material, the laboratory concluded it was impossible to make a DS profile, not that KNPV were no different from FCI, they never even got to that point ;) Which would have been rather interesting :player:
This is not how I understood it at the time. But even if you were to be right, there is also a very logical explanation for this. The 'split' happened 100 years ago. On paper. While in reality, the split really never happened at all. Not totally anyway. Some dogs, maybe. Other dogs, not so much or not at all. You and I both know it is laughable to even believe there is a contingent of 'Pure' DS's even within the FCI population. Best chances for that would be in the long and rough coated ones, but with their extinction level population......... :eek:
For myself, it just confirms what I have been saying for the past 20 years or so. Pure bred? Is an illusion (in our breed at least)
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Selena
Green Dog
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:57 pm
Tell us about yourself: My name is Selena van Leeuwen, 35 yo, married to Dick. We have 2 children, a boy just turned 3 and a girl who will be 2 in may. We breed xHH, we developed our own bloodline with in mind how a PSD should be in our eyes.
Location: Scherpenzeel, fr, the netherlands
Contact:

Re: New to the breed!

Post by Selena »

When asked, we offered them (the NHC ) the DNA of our dogs, an opportunity they never used... :roll:
I wonder why??? :whistle: :mrgreen:

D.
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: New to the breed!

Post by Marjolein »

Selena wrote:When asked, we offered them (the NHC ) the DNA of our dogs, an opportunity they never used... :roll:
I wonder why??? :whistle: :mrgreen:

D.
Really? You wonder? :roll:
Image
User avatar
k9katet
Training Dog
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:04 pm
Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility.
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Re: New to the breed!

Post by k9katet »

So what does it mean when people are advertising that their pups are out of DNA Proven FCI Purebred Dutch Shepherds?
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
User avatar
Choochi
Training Dog
Posts: 350
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:16 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.
Location: Toronto, ON

Re: New to the breed!

Post by Choochi »

k9katet wrote:So what does it mean when people are advertising that their pups are out of DNA Proven FCI Purebred Dutch Shepherds?

My guess would be that the DNA proven refers to the lineage of the dog in question, not so much it's Dutch genetic pureness if there is no clear established DNA profile for that. ie. the dog's pedigree shows only Dutch for all seeable generations (that would be the pure part) and the dog is confirmed through DNA to match what is seen on paper (the DNA confirmed part), essentially a DNA proof that the parents are who the papers say they are? My guess. ..or the person is implying that a breed DNA test spit out Dutch (which I've never seen as a recognized possibility in any of the companies I know of).
Choochi
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: New to the breed!

Post by Marjolein »

yup, it only means you get a cretificate that says the parents are indeed the parents.
You must pay attention tho, a lot of dogs come with a "DNA-profile". That is just a profile, and no proof the parents are the real parents, only a certificate that states the parents are correct is proof the breeding is what it is!!
In that case the DNA profiles of both parents were matched with the DNA profile of the pup, if this proves the pup is indeed of the mentioned parents, you get a "proof of origin" certificate ;)
Image
Post Reply