New member here

For our new members to introduce themselves
Andyroo81890
Just Whelped
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:45 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted my dog and didn't know what he was until seeing a Dutch shepherd. I have some questions!

New member here

Post by Andyroo81890 »

Hello my name is Andrew and I live with my 1 year old dog (son) Bentley, or Fenton when he is in trouble. I'm 22 and live in California. Not much else to say but I really like this forum
Shepherds are the best
User avatar
felixone123
Working Dog
Posts: 1076
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
Location: Fishkill, NY

Re: New member here

Post by felixone123 »

hello - is Bentley a dutch?
Barbara, Odin & Kai
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: New member here

Post by Sugars Mom »

Welcome to the forum!
Andyroo81890 wrote:or Fenton when he is in trouble.
Does that have anything to do with a you tube video where a dog runs after some deer while the owner yells "Fenton!!!!!" in vain? :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtB1HQt6ak8
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
Andyroo81890
Just Whelped
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:45 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted my dog and didn't know what he was until seeing a Dutch shepherd. I have some questions!

Re: New member here

Post by Andyroo81890 »

Lol that is exactly why he is called Fenton. I wasn't sure anyone would get that
Shepherds are the best
Andyroo81890
Just Whelped
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:45 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted my dog and didn't know what he was until seeing a Dutch shepherd. I have some questions!

Re: New member here

Post by Andyroo81890 »

heres the crazy pup
Attachments
fenton.jpeg
fenton.jpeg (5.14 KiB) Viewed 3390 times
Shepherds are the best
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: New member here

Post by vneerland »

Welcome Andrew and Bently. 8-)
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: New member here

Post by leih merigian »

Welcome!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Andyroo81890
Just Whelped
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:45 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted my dog and didn't know what he was until seeing a Dutch shepherd. I have some questions!

Re: New member here

Post by Andyroo81890 »

Doerak leih does your dog look mostly black until in the sunlight and then the gold really shows? I was looking at old posts trying to figure out if bentley has any ds and i came across doerak and in a few pictures bentley looked identical. Let me know what you think
Shepherds are the best
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: New member here

Post by vneerland »

I for one cannot seem to see (enough) in the pic of Bentley. He looks like a black KNPV malinois in the picture you posted above. But I cannot seem to enlarge it, so I am not sure if there is brindle or not.
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Andyroo81890
Just Whelped
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:45 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted my dog and didn't know what he was until seeing a Dutch shepherd. I have some questions!

Re: New member here

Post by Andyroo81890 »

There definitely is brindle but what does knpv malinois mean?
Shepherds are the best
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: New member here

Post by vneerland »

KNPV stand for Koninklijke Nederlandse Poltiehond Vereniging. Known over here as Royal Dutch Police dog association. Their members train dogs with the goal of becoming police K9s. Their members also breed dogs, with the goal of workability, mostly not selecting for looks, or even per se breed.
There has been a Groenendaeler (Belgian sheepdog) in the 70's who won the KNPV nationals. After that, many bred their malinois females to this stud. (named Andor van de IJsselvloed) Since short hair is dominant over long hair, (most) all his pups came out with short hair. But also black, since black is dominant over fawn, so most of the pups were black too. Those black shorthaired dogs are referred to as Black malinois. There is also a very rare recessive black malinois possible, born out of two fawn dogs. However, the KNPV malinois is a dominant black and looks a lot like your dog.
I do not see brindle in the pictures you posted, but that, of course, does not mean he isn't. Just that it is not showing on my screen.
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Andyroo81890
Just Whelped
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:45 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted my dog and didn't know what he was until seeing a Dutch shepherd. I have some questions!

Re: New member here

Post by Andyroo81890 »

I cant find out how to make it bigger =[
Shepherds are the best
Andyroo81890
Just Whelped
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:45 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted my dog and didn't know what he was until seeing a Dutch shepherd. I have some questions!

Re: New member here

Post by Andyroo81890 »

That is a cool background though. If so, i wonder how he got to sunny california
Not too many dutch or belgians running around over here
Shepherds are the best
KellaA+dog6
Puppy
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:59 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a married empty nester, who was lucky enough to stay home with kids, dogs, and cats when not traveling with husband.
Location: S. San Francisco Bay Area

Re: New member here

Post by KellaA+dog6 »

There are several "breeders" in CA. I know of 3 in the SF bay/ and Central valley just off the top of my head. There are also direct imports for many law enforcement agencies, that may be offered out for breeding by the handler/owner. And some do occasionaly get out and some strange crosses occur.
If you have a Facebook Account, you can look at pictures of Kella ( currently on page 6 of this forums Photo section). You have to be logged on to facebook to view photos now. She has the Black and Color of a GSD, but looks Black in most lights. The color includes some areas that are sort of brindle looking, and the rest, especially the legs, are a color mixed in with lots of black. The black and color also tends to start out darker, then lightens up (drops some of the black) with age.
Kella's Person Mara
Andyroo81890
Just Whelped
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:45 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted my dog and didn't know what he was until seeing a Dutch shepherd. I have some questions!

Re: New member here

Post by Andyroo81890 »

Bentley is the same way. He looks black indoors and kind of goldish brown in the sunlight. Your dog is a cutie. I'm just glad I found Bentley at the shelter. I want to test him but I've only heard bad things about the tests not being accurate
Shepherds are the best
User avatar
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Posts: 947
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: New member here

Post by LyonsFamily »

Well, Dutch Shepherd won't show up on those tests anyway.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
Andyroo81890
Just Whelped
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:45 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted my dog and didn't know what he was until seeing a Dutch shepherd. I have some questions!

Re: New member here

Post by Andyroo81890 »

Then i guess if i really wanted to know then id need a blood test?
Shepherds are the best
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: New member here

Post by vneerland »

You will not know blood test or not, unless you know the background. :(
I still don't see brindle in your Bently, not even from the description. My guess is that he is a black mal, but you are, naturally very welcome here, no matter what he is!
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: New member here

Post by Marjolein »

Welcome :)
Image
Andyroo81890
Just Whelped
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:45 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted my dog and didn't know what he was until seeing a Dutch shepherd. I have some questions!

Re: New member here

Post by Andyroo81890 »

Well thank you all!
Shepherds are the best
Post Reply