Odin's new Superhero Talent

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Post Reply
User avatar
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Posts: 947
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Odin's new Superhero Talent

Post by LyonsFamily »

Over the past few months, Odin has discovered his ability to tell when dinner is done cooking and he's pretty proud of himself. He alerts us to both the George foreman grill, the stove, and the oven and he usually beats the timer by a minute or so. It was getting a little annoying, especially since his alerts sound like "MMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM, there's FFFOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDD" screamed right into my face while he stands on me, followed by herding us to the kitchen and tugging on our sleeves until we go to the kitchen and get the food out. I've been to busy to train it out of him and it's actually a little useful when I forget to set the timer.

My husband has always suffered from sleep walking for as long as I've known him. Mainly, he just goes into the kitchen and eats cereal or poptarts in his sleep, so we've managed by just putting them in the high cupboards (I'm 4 inches taller than him so I can reach and he can't without a chair). The other day I got woken up at 3am by Odin screaming at me and standing on me in bed. I followed him to the kitchen and heard awful cracking noses and smelled smoke. It seems that my husband started to sleep cook some soup and then walked back to bed, leaving it on the burner.

I'm so thankful that Odin has his weird talents and woke me up to tell me about the soup so that our apartment didn't burn down. Somehow I don't think he cared about the apartment and just wanted the soup, but at least he did something.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Odin's new Superhero Talent

Post by Sugars Mom »

Wow, thats quite a talent...it came in very useful I might add! Glad to hear your house did not burn down or anything serious came of it. Yikes!!
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
User avatar
anniewang83
Puppy
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:03 am
Tell us about yourself: Annie & Nick, first time owners of a dutch shepherd, named Amber, rescue from North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue (NADSR), fostered and trained by Kim Futch. Amber's favorite things to do are eating, chasing balls, chasing frisbees and napping with us in bed.
Location: New York City

Re: Odin's new Superhero Talent

Post by anniewang83 »

WOW! A great talent to have! It's amazing how our dogs can sense much more than we can.

Good job for Odin on saving your apartment - I hope he got some burned soup. :)
Nick & Annie (humans)
Amber (Dutchie)
currently living in New York City
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Odin's new Superhero Talent

Post by Dutchringgirl »

That is a fantastic talent!!! Even if it gets annoying, it came in handy to save the kitchen. I am sure he did care more about the soup, but, in the end it worked out great. Big doggy bone to odin.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
johninny
Working Dog
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
Location: NH/hamptons/nyc

Re: Odin's new Superhero Talent

Post by johninny »

first, it sounds like you better stop hiding the cereal and pop tarts.
and I agree - I think Odin did care about your safety if the soup was burning and the kitchen smoking up.
when I was a very young child, our family dog who had nothing on Odin saved our entire family in the nick of time from a huge and ferocious fire that is still legendary in the home town.
as for his timer talent, it sounds great to me. I get completely confused in the kitchen and would never know what to set a timer to --- so Odin could solve all my culinary problems!
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
User avatar
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Posts: 947
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Odin's new Superhero Talent

Post by LyonsFamily »

johninny wrote:first, it sounds like you better stop hiding the cereal and pop tarts.
and I agree - I think Odin did care about your safety if the soup was burning and the kitchen smoking up.
when I was a very young child, our family dog who had nothing on Odin saved our entire family in the nick of time from a huge and ferocious fire that is still legendary in the home town.
as for his timer talent, it sounds great to me. I get completely confused in the kitchen and would never know what to set a timer to --- so Odin could solve all my culinary problems!
Oh maybe I should rent him out to the culinary challened :lol: :lol: . If only I could get consistently with multiple dogs, I could add that on to my training packages and get a contract with bed, bath, and beyond!

Your childhood dog sounds awesome! I hope we never have to face something so serious to test Odin with that though. What kind of dog was it?
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
johninny
Working Dog
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
Location: NH/hamptons/nyc

Re: Odin's new Superhero Talent

Post by johninny »

she was a cocker spaniel. she was in the family before me. one of her male pups [ a wonderful mutt ] from 1955 joined as a 2nd dog until she died and he was with the family for 17 years. she did save us; nobody would have made it if she had not alerted my mother to the issue when she did.
she was a character: at a beach house every summer, she would routinely go out a 2nd floor window of a turn-of-the-century house where she could maneuver onto the roof shingles -- then climb up the steep roof and perch high up where several roof lines met and made a nice nesting spot where she could observe the comings and goings of people entering and leaving the beach and could commune better with the seagulls. invariably several times each summer, an unknowing passerby would get upset for her and call the fire department to come save her. she would watch the commotion for a while and when it got too much and too close to rescuing her, she would calmly walk down the roof and disappear through the window. her timing was always so perfect. she seemed to prefer to watch over me and guard me from her roof post than to be on the sandy beach. if something concerned her, she could quickly make her way through the house down to the beach.
I WOULD DEFINITELY SIGN UP TO RENT ODIN'S CULINARY INSTINCTS - DEFINITELY QUALIFY AS CHALLENGED HERE!
btw, taking inspiration and knowledge from you, I did get some great wild-fish oil. thank you.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
johninny
Working Dog
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
Location: NH/hamptons/nyc

Re: Odin's new Superhero Talent

Post by johninny »

I do think without doubt that Odin would pass such a serious test with flying colors but hopefully there will never be proof of that.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Odin's new Superhero Talent

Post by leih merigian »

Stephanie, that's an amazing story! Way to go Odin!

They are just too funny for words sometimes, eh? The things they decide are their responsibility...

My landlords have a new rooster with their 25 chickens. This rooster likes to...act all manly with the chickens :roll: . Constantly (I just call him Horney Toad). Anyway, Geyser has decided it's one of her many jobs to stop him when he's engaged with one of the chicken ladies. Doesn't help that the landlady eggs her on in this...
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
johninny
Working Dog
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
Location: NH/hamptons/nyc

Re: Odin's new Superhero Talent

Post by johninny »

my old Tracedog also thought it was his duty to stop any 2 beings from having sex. at a certain time of the year here at the beach, when the big, ancient-like horseshoe crabs would be in mating season, he would patrol the beach and, even in the pitch black of night by the open water, he would suddenly rush into the water - sometimes 20 feet in - to find 2 crabs copulating under water and start pouncing on them and pushing them around with his paws. he seemed to be flawless in his ability to detect crab sex no matter how obscured by any amount of water or by lack of light. this even worked running full-speed along the water line. and no false alarms. a sudden stop and lunge into the water ALWAYS resulted in the finding of illegal crab sex.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
User avatar
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Posts: 947
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Odin's new Superhero Talent

Post by LyonsFamily »

Too bad Tracedog wasn't still alive. I'd trade you Odin's services for his. I have a friend that can't sleep because of the feral cats mating outside her window. She's tried everything to get rid of them.

I'm not sure who told these guys to start assigning themselves tasks though. Some days, it's like living with my parents again. I never thought my 2 year old dog would be the responsible one in the family. I can't stay up late or leave late to pickup my husband from the train station anymore.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
User avatar
feraloup
Training Dog
Posts: 352
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:45 pm
Tell us about yourself: Artist, Mother, Equestrienne, Educator, Homesteader wannabe, dog-lover. Not counting my current DS, I have had 2 GSDs and 3 rescued mixed-breeds. All of these dogs were rescues, except for my childhood GSD, who was a gift from my parents when I was 7, and my current DS who I bartered artwork for from the breeder. Maiyou, one of my current dogs, is a Pitbull/New Guinea Singing Dog of 13 years old. Still very active and "Young" in nature. I now also have a DS named Mokume, (pronounced "Moh-koo-meh") or "Moko" for short. Newest member of our pack is Freyja, a random mixed hound I rescued during a horseback trip in the middle of a state forest.
Location: VT

Re: Odin's new Superhero Talent

Post by feraloup »

Yayyyy, Odin! Good boy! I recall a similar experience when I was about 8, our GSD, Heidi, who was about a year and a half at the time alerted my mom that the oven had caught fire.

I love your observation about their self-assigned duties! Moko hasn't discovered his calling yet, but Maiyou is the "Nanny" any baby animal, regardless of species, instantly becomes her charge to be dutifully snuggled, followed after, watched over, and tended to. My old GSD, Cory, was the self-appointed seeing eye dog for my blind rottie-pitt, Cedar, and Cedar was the bedtime police while I was preggers with my son. If I stayed up too late, he would come up to my feet, do a wide-legged play-bow and give a sharp bark... then walk toward the bedroom and cast over his shoulder to check if I was following. If I continued to read or do whatever instead of going to bed, he would repeat the act, getting more demonstrative and loud about it until I finally dutifully retired to bed. :lol:
Autumn Dufresne

"If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them, and what you do not know, you will fear. What one fears, one destroys." ~Chief Dan George
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Odin's new Superhero Talent

Post by Sugars Mom »

OMG John, hilarious story about your dog stopping the crab sex!! What the heck!!
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Odin's new Superhero Talent

Post by leih merigian »

LyonsFamily wrote: I never thought my 2 year old dog would be the responsible one in the family. I can't stay up late or leave late to pickup my husband from the train station anymore.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

don't I know it :mrgreen:
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Post Reply