Crate Issues

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Post Reply
User avatar
Jeremy13Bravo
Just Whelped
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 3:47 am
Tell us about yourself: U.S. Army Field Artilleryman. Me and my wife just got out first Dutch Shepard and are very excited to start working with him.

Crate Issues

Post by Jeremy13Bravo »

Our new DS has been a great add to our family. The only issue that we seem to be having so far is when we crate him. I have started crate training and he will get into his crate on command. I've even been feeding him his meals in the crate with the door open. I also caught him relaxing in it earlier today. But the few times we have had to crate him, when we have left the house, he has wet and even pooped in there. I'm wondering if maybe his crate is too large. It's 4 foot long by 32 inches tall. I've read the crate should be big enough for them to turn around in and lay down in comfortably. I really want to break this habbit before it gets out of hand. Any suggestions? Smaller crate maybe, if so, what size? Thanks for any help.
Jeremy
User avatar
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Posts: 947
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Crate Issues

Post by LyonsFamily »

I would get a crate divider to make the dog's space smaller rather than buying a new crate. Have you shut the door on the crate with you home?

It's possible that the dog isn't actually potty trained and is just going in the crate because that's where he's at. For that, you would want the divider or small crate and should start and housebreaking 101. You can also try going for a long walk before leaving the house.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
User avatar
Jeremy13Bravo
Just Whelped
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 3:47 am
Tell us about yourself: U.S. Army Field Artilleryman. Me and my wife just got out first Dutch Shepard and are very excited to start working with him.

Re: Crate Issues

Post by Jeremy13Bravo »

Thanks for your response. When we got him they told us he was housebroken for the most part. I'm betting that he is pretty much potty trained because he's never had an accident in the house the whole time we have had him. We even leave him loose in our bedroom at night with no accidents so far. It's just when we crate him. The other day I was gone for less than 30 minutes and had let him out just prior to leaving and when I got back I heard him barking from outside and when I went in his crate was wet. I'm goind to start the door closed part of the crate training today. I hope that will help.
Jeremy
Boogies
Puppy
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:44 am
Tell us about yourself: Greetings from Wisconsin. I live on a small goat farm with a crazy Malinois, named Rocket, that I adopted 5 years ago. I rent the goats out for weed and brush control and Rocket saves me hours a day, herding goats into barns and trailers and watching the gates as I move between pens. He also pulls a little red sled with whatever I need hauled. Rocket's the 14th dog I've adopted since I used to prowl the shelters for fast dogs for my sled team. One of my sled dogs may have been a DS mix. She had the look and energy but was a solid black with white toes. Rocket is currently an only dog so we go skijoring instead of sledding.

Re: Crate Issues

Post by Boogies »

Hi Jeremy,

As a military dog, was he kept in a kennel ? If yes, was he expected to potty close to where he slept? If so, then he might just need some more positive reinforcement when he goes outside.

It also could be from separation anxiety. You know your friend deployed but all he knows is that he had a dog daddy and then that person never returned. You might have to set up really short training sessions where you put him in the crate, leave the room, then come right back and take him outside. Don't make a fuss when you leave or when you return. Keep it low key because you want to lower the emotional response.
User avatar
Jeremy13Bravo
Just Whelped
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 3:47 am
Tell us about yourself: U.S. Army Field Artilleryman. Me and my wife just got out first Dutch Shepard and are very excited to start working with him.

Re: Crate Issues

Post by Jeremy13Bravo »

I'm guessing it could be separation anxiety. He follows us everywhere we go all over the house. We are never out of his site more than 5 seconds. So much so that we are thinking of chaning his name to Shadow! We will try the really short crate training sessions with us leaving to see if that helps. Thanks for your suggestion.
Jeremy
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Crate Issues

Post by Sugars Mom »

Jeremy13Bravo wrote:He follows us everywhere we go all over the house. We are never out of his site more than 5 seconds. So much so that we are thinking of chaning his name to Shadow!
Typical DS!
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Crate Issues

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Yes, I have two that are glued to me LOL. Try putting him in his crate, go outside for 5 minutes, come in, happy dance treats etc, then longer and longer.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Post Reply