
We feel lucky to have a DS in the family
-
WangoTango
We feel lucky to have a DS in the family
We have been looking for a dog for about two years. It had to have the right size, temperment, energy, and beauty. We like things unique. Not just another black Lab. We stopped by the local shelter on a whim. There was this beautiful brindle girl at 45lbs. They didn't know her breed or true age. We didn't care! she was everything we wanted and couldn't sign the papers fast enough. They were asking if we wanted a $50 DNA test because they wanted to know what she was. We said we would look at it later. With her German Shepherd type face, my Wife Googled images. She saw a picture of a identical looking dog and it was called a Dutch Shepherd. After much research, I don't need a DNA test. She is a DS. She is wonderful!! Smart, fun, and quick! We feel very lucky to have her! 

- Attachments
-
- tango 3 .jpg (47.41 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
- racingiron1
- Green Dog
- Posts: 192
- Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:35 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Hilde is a rescue that we suspect is at least partially Dutch Shepherd.
- Location: Chattanooga, TN, USA
Re: We feel lucky to have a DS in the family
Welcome to the forum! She's a cutie. Your story is similar to mine, although thankfully it didn't take so long to find Hilde. Thanks for rescuing!
I've been wondering about the DNA tests... I haven't seen one that specifically checks for DS, so I'm guessing they'd probably come back with GS and/or Mal mixtures. Here's a previous thread with some results:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2764&p=28460&hilit=dna#p28460
I've been wondering about the DNA tests... I haven't seen one that specifically checks for DS, so I'm guessing they'd probably come back with GS and/or Mal mixtures. Here's a previous thread with some results:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2764&p=28460&hilit=dna#p28460
Eric, Elizabeth, & Hilde
-
johninny
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1326
- Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
- Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
- Location: NH/hamptons/nyc
Re: We feel lucky to have a DS in the family
she looks great. welcome. and yes, great that you rescued.
DS is not in the best and most extensive DNA databases, so a test would come back completely screwy - not even mal or gsd, so do not bother.
DS is not in the best and most extensive DNA databases, so a test would come back completely screwy - not even mal or gsd, so do not bother.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
-
Sugars Mom
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1734
- Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.
Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!
I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences. - Location: Victoria BC
Re: We feel lucky to have a DS in the family
Congrats on your DS, lucky you indeed : ) She is beautiful!
Welcome to the forum....
Welcome to the forum....
Sue (and Sugar)

- TexasMedy
- Puppy
- Posts: 87
- Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:27 am
- Tell us about yourself: Hello Everyone,
My wife and I live north of Houston in Spring, TX. We have 3 kids, age 17, 19 and 20. We have a Dutch Shepherd, 3 Dalmatians and a Maltipoo. - Location: Spring, TX
Re: We feel lucky to have a DS in the family
Wow beautiful girl! I can't wait to see more pics. Congrats and thanks for rescuing!
Dan, Leticia and our dog family - Medy (DS), Coco (Dalmatian), Isabela (Dalmatian), Zoey (Maltipoo)
- Revhendo
- Green Dog
- Posts: 180
- Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:33 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Howdy,
We are a family of rescues, (yeah, me included), in Southern California. My wife and I currently have two dogs, a Golden Retriever/ GSD mix by the name of Morgan, and our DS mix(?), Dinga Roo. We had never even heard of a Dutch Shepherd before until we were stalked by this nice lady in the pet store who asked us if Roo was a DS. Dang if that lady wasn't on to something. I just found this site, so here we are....
Kevin
Re: We feel lucky to have a DS in the family
Thank you for rescuing such a gorgeous gal. At this point I would say skip the DNA test. It is kinda nice waiting for the world to catch up to what you already know.....
Kevin, Debby,
Dinga Roo (DS mix), John's Goddaughter and Tyson's twin,
and Morgan too (Retriever/GSD mix).
Loving memories of our GSD Charly who passed at 17 years. (4/18/13).
Dinga Roo (DS mix), John's Goddaughter and Tyson's twin,
and Morgan too (Retriever/GSD mix).
Loving memories of our GSD Charly who passed at 17 years. (4/18/13).


Facebook page.